What Assessment Method/Tool do you use?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by mrgrinch09, Apr 30, 2010.

1. mrgrinch09

mrgrinch09 Comrade

Apr 30, 2010

What assessment tool do you use? We are a NAEYC accredited center and are required to use a "research based" method to assess our children's progress.

We are currently using Work Sampling, but I hate it. I need to give my director some ideas for an alternative assessment tool. If I have to use Work Sampling again next year, I'll.........:banghead:

3. SamIAm

SamIAm Companion

Apr 30, 2010

I don't use a published assessment method, but I've heard great things about high scope. My understanding is that it support's a more emergent approach. I've heard that Creative Curriculum requires a lot of paperwork, and as a parent who's child was in a creative Curriculum program, I found the information collected not to be very helpful. Hope that helps.

4. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Apr 30, 2010

Our program is blended- sped and at-risk. For our at-risk kids, we use the creative curriculum checklist. Our sped kids only get goal updates, although we usually talk about all the other areas at conferences. I like what high/scope does as a curriculum, but I actually like work sampling better than any of the others. IL has a version of WSS that's alligned exactly with our EC Standards... is itl iek that in other statse?

5. moonbeamsinajar

moonbeamsinajar Habitué

Apr 30, 2010

We use Work Sampling,as our assessment system and I really like it. We do it online this year for the first time. My end of the year parent report was super easy to do! There are some bugs to be worked out in the online system, but I do like work sampling. I like the way it is structured and is pretty easy to do, once you are familiar with it. What don't you like about it?

Our curriculum is High Scope, and I am not fond of that. I think it has too many gaps. For example, there is no fine motor area in High Scope! The assessment system for High Scope, (COR) is pretty awful too. Also, High Scope does not align as well with our Head Start Outcomes.