What Are Your Weaknesses?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, May 4, 2009.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 4, 2009

What vices, habits, etc. are EXTREMELY hard for you to resist?

Now, I'm definitely no kind of -holic, but if I'm in the mood for it, I can hardly resist:

- eating pizza...the only food I can never say no to! (But, I only eat it probably about once every few wks.)

- clothes shopping at times, but I definitely have never maxed out the credit card or even come close & never will in the future.

That's it for me! :)

3. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

May 4, 2009

Time management, sugar, and iTunes always get the best of me.

4. AMK

AMK Aficionado

May 4, 2009

I am a worrier, I get anxious about things, and I am a impluse shopper too, which explains why I return a lot of things!

5. fast chalk

fast chalk Comrade

May 4, 2009

I can hardly resist eating icecream, to be honest EATING SWEET things in general...

6. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 4, 2009

My chronic addiction is to reality television, to the point that I must make sure all televisions are NOT tuned to VH-1 when my husband turns them on. I'm sadly addicted to Facebook, lately the game Sorority Life (if you also play, send me a PM and we can merge houses). My general weakness is time management. Ugh, it's tough when you teach at home!

7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 4, 2009

Time management, sweets, biting/picking at my nails, and Pepsis.

8. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

May 4, 2009

Chocolate and online forums.

9. Crzy_ArtTeacher

Crzy_ArtTeacher Comrade

May 4, 2009

Sweets, biting the nails, celebrity websites (I HATE that I'm addicted but I am...)... Any kind of thrift store or item with clearance on the tag, I LOVE a bargain.

10. NewGirl23

NewGirl23 Rookie

May 4, 2009

Mine are chocolate, Diet Dr. Pepper, and sleeping in on the weekends (it is like a treat to me):D

11. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

May 4, 2009

My weakness is disorganization. Pretty bad when you are a teacher. To be fair, part of it is because of the job!

Here I am, a piece of paper in hand to be filed or put somewhere where it can be found again. It is an IMPORTANT paper from my boss and his boss. Between the classroom door and the desk, I am interrupted 75,000 times! I set the paper down somewhere to help these helpless little people, listen to their needs, complaints, stories, help them tie a shoe, tell them hang up a jacket, what are you reading, clean up your area, yes, get a drink, yes go to the bathroom, no you cannot have juice at your desk, get your shoes on please!

Where is the paper? I was really cranky that day. Did find the paper and made many copies. But I am horribly disorganized. I came very close to misplacing my standardized tests, AFTER the class had taken them. Now that is bad.

Next year I vow to have a bare bones room, a nice, peaceful, orderly space for myself, and a place for everything. Which means I will spend weeks in the classroom this summer throwing things away. Worth it though! DH said "PLEASE don't work this summer!" What a guy huh?

12. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 4, 2009

I forgot to mention this site!! Oh, and Crzy, celebrities are a big weakness for me too!

13. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

May 4, 2009

I feel your pain! I've said all year that by far my worst achilles heel this year (my first) was paperwork. I know that sounds crazy, but I was not prepared for the sheer amount of it, and I was blindsided before we even officially started. I lose things all the time!! Ugh!

14. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

May 4, 2009

vice--If I told you, I'd have to .........

habits--coffee in the morning,

weakness-- ice cream in the evening, House. Gotta go. It's on.

15. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 4, 2009

I love pizza. Just a couple of years ago I'd eat a whole large by myself, and so would my husband. Of course, he'd then go run seven miles. I didn't. Anyhow, I don't eat the whole thing now.

Still on food, I LOVE buffets! Buffets are great because I don't like main dishes, so a long line of sides to choose from is pure heaven to me.

Reeses just kill me. I eat so much chocolate and peanut product every week. It's sinful.

As far as habits, mascara is the one really "important" make-up item for me, but I have a habit of picking it off and that's just plain messy! On the weekends I'll put it on just to take it off in thirty minutes.

Another bad habit is chewing my cheeks. I've gotten much better, but as a child and teenager I would chew my cheeks so bad that I could honestly only have tomato soup through a straw because I couldn't open my mouth. It was crazy! They would just bleed and bleed. My problem is that I like the inside of my cheeks to be smooth, so there is a constant battle to achieve that. My husband says I'm insane, but I think it's just another one of my texture issues.

16. KLSSwimmer

KLSSwimmer Habitué

May 4, 2009

ICE CREAM! A good romance novel!

17. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

May 4, 2009

I would have to say:

-Over-spending/my large amount of debt that I can't seem to get rid of
    -Over-eating/eating unhealthy foods
    -Never exercising (I HATE IT!)

If it weren't for these three things, I'm truly convinced that my life would be so much better. The sad thing is, they are all things I can control. :( They're just weaknesses.

18. Crzy_ArtTeacher

Crzy_ArtTeacher Comrade

May 5, 2009

should be too funny!!
    I just found out that my (eventually) SIL is as big a coffee addict as me! At the wedding shower we had to go to this weekend we were both pounding it down :)

STG it's an embarrassing addiction, especially when DH goes on the computer after me and I have people.com up!

19. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

May 5, 2009

Pisces - unless you are required by the school or curriculum, you can cut out a lot of paperwork. Try to do oral evaluations, observe during centers (document), and you don't have to grade every single paper they do! I try to go around the room as the kids finish a paper and skan the work, give a sticker, and they put it in their boxes. This year I have not been as good at it though.

Also, you can help yourself by giving 1/2 as much homework. Why give 10 math problems when you can give 5 and evaluate their progress just as well? Why give 20 spelling words each week? Teach the rule of the week, and give 10 words. Etc. These things help me cut down on paperwork.

The main thing for me is that I CAN'T put things away right when I am finished, because the kids can't be independent for 2 seconds. So I stack things on my desk. Can't see the desk and it is an embarassment for me, a huge one! Next year I am not having a desk. I will use a long table and at least my stacks will have some order to them!

A real weakness . . . some scummy reality shows, like Doctor 90210 and the Hogans! I am embarassed to tell anyone . . .

20. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

May 5, 2009

Total thread hijack.........

Wow! House was outstanding this week.

21. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

May 5, 2009

Picking at my cuticles until they bleed. It's so gross, and I don't understand why I do it. I hate the way they look, but I just can't stop.

Also, I stay up too late. Then I'm sooo tired by 7 the next night, but it seems like 10 hits, and I'm wired. I'm usually up until 2 easily.

Not keeping my car clean. I have a really nice car, not new, but nice...and it is usually a mess. Which bugs me to no end, because I'm a really neat person in every other aspect. I park at the far end of the lot because I don't want someone peeking in my windows. There is another teacher who drives an identical car to mine, and hers is always so neat, it makes me insane. But do I clean it? Rarely.

Sigh. Now I'm depressed!

22. Blue

Blue Aficionado

May 6, 2009

I can't keep my house clean. I never saw my mom do housework, so I guess the elves are supposed to come in every night and clean. Actually, she cleaned all day when I was at school. Anyway, I hate to clean, and have to force myself to stick to a schedule to keep the place at a tolerable level of livability.

23. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

May 6, 2009

kcjo - I also have had a big problem with keeping my car clean!!!! What cured me is having a DH who really really likes the inside of the car clean, and we share cars. So each time I get out of the car, and I mean every time, I collect a few things to throw away. It has helped a lot. Going in the store? Pick up 4 pieces of trash - Starbuck's cup, water bottle, napkin, unopened pkg. of smashed crackers - and put them in the store trash can. and so on.

One weird thing about cars nowadays is that there is usually no trash can/bag in the car. When I was in my 20s every car had a bag hanging on a handle, or a small trash can, so it was easier to keep things clean. What happened to that custom? Anyone have an insight?

24. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

May 6, 2009

My weakness is---pens. I love all different kinds of pens and probably have several hundred, if not more. They don't have to be expensive pens, cheap is fine. My poor husband has a fit when I HAVE to have another pen. He just doesn't get it.

25. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 9, 2009

I have a thing for pens too. And for the 1st time in my life, I've found the brand I love the most: Staedtler's 1.6 Maxum!..& post-it notes, especially in fun shapes/colors!

26. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

May 13, 2009

I had a marvelous pen - my favorite of my whole life. Well, it disappeared. It's been lost for about 2 weeks. Last night a clerk at the grocery store handed it to me to sign my VISA slip!! I about choked. I almost said something, but decided that I didn't know for sure it was my pen. Sad though. I loved that pen!

27. english_bulldog

english_bulldog Rookie

May 13, 2009

My biggest weakness is gadgets..

whether it be a new phone or a new mp3 player...

or even some new "As Seen on TV" thing...

you can bet I'm going to stop and drool. I got paid and went crazy at Wal-Mart today with the "As Seen On TV." I got the Point N Paint, the Upside Down Tomato thing, and the ProCaulker...thing.

I have to say, I love them all.