What are your thoughts on introverted teachers?

Discussion in 'High School' started by futureteach24, Jul 20, 2012.

1. futureteach24

futureteach24 Companion

Jul 20, 2012

My P gave me a tour of the school for over an hour and I said almost nothing =( When he passed me off to my dept. chair at the end of the tour he told her I seemed nervous to him. Do you think they'll be upset once they find out I'm an introvert? I think I'm a good teacher (at least that's what I've been told). I'm a first year teacher by the way.

3. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 20, 2012

I'm definitely an introvert when it comes to new situations so I probably wouldn't have said much either! However, once I warm up to people I can be very talkative. Mine mostly depends on who I'm around. I'm sure once you get to know the staff more of "you" will start to shine through. If they hired you then there was obviously something they liked about you!

4. bison

bison Habitué

Jul 20, 2012

If you're already hired, I think you'll be okay! It's probably a good idea to practice being a bit more social in these types of situations. I'm very much an introvert as well so I get it, but it's important to try and interact and relate to people when appropriate. A lot of being a teacher is being able to be "on" in front of your class, and you want to be able to show that you're able to do that. We just need that time to recharge after school. :)

5. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Jul 20, 2012

I'm an introvert, too, and it was always appreciated and respected at my schools.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 20, 2012

There are certainly successful introverted teachers. Do keep n mind, however, that peoples first impressions of you may be that you come off as shy, nervous, standoffish...as hard as it may be, you should gauge the situation and consider 'stretching yourself' a bit to overcome these impressions. Congrats on your new job and good luck!:thumb:

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 20, 2012

Introverted is fine.

But I think that even introverted people need to develop a demeanor that displays confidence and interest in their job.

Saying nothing for an hour puts all the responsibility for the tour on your principal. It makes him wonder how you'll interact with parents and with the other teachers. A simple "how nice" or "What grade is this?" every now and then would probably have made a big difference in the tone of the tour.

I agree with the others-- I think that you have to stretch your comfort zone a bit.

8. Ted

Ted Habitué

Jul 20, 2012

First off, congrats on the job! :) You'll do great things.

I'm agreeing with Alice here.

Perhaps make it a personal goal that each day for a week you're going to reach out to somebody (a stranger) and say something. It could be the person at Starbucks who hands you your coffee: "You folks make the best mochas!" or a co-worker: "I really like that pin on your blouse. So unique!"

After a week, try for two people...etc.

As teachers we are required (not suggested) to communicate with our students' families about their progress. Using this time NOW to build up your social skills will make it easier once the Fall comes. :)

Best of luck to you!

9. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Jul 20, 2012

I agree with the previous posters. You should be fine, especially once you become more comfortable in your new position. Your post made me think of when I first got hired at my school. I must have seemed so nervous and overwhelmed when I was introduced to people that other teachers initially thought the students would eat me alive in no time. That never happened, and this is my 12th year at that school. (I was even the school's teacher of the year in 2011!) I'm sure at the end of the year you'll be laughing about this with other people in your building.

10. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

Jul 20, 2012

Are you always introverted or do you warm up once you feel more comfortable? Like dgpiaffeteach, I am shy at first but I am more talkative once I get to know people. If you are constantly introverted and never let people see a warm and inviting side to you, then you may give off the impression that you are not happy to be at school (which is not true).

When you're in an uncomfortable situation like that, you almost have to force yourself every once in a while. Even a quiet "mmhmm" as affirmation after they say something will make them feel like you care about what they have to say. It can be hard, but it makes people feel more at ease and comfortable around you.

11. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 20, 2012

I am very introverted as well and feel horrible in those situations. But I warm up soon enough. I am sure you will as well.

12. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 20, 2012

I'm an introvert, and I'm getting ready to start my 20th year of teaching. Early in my career I had people tell me that I'd "come around" and get over being so reserved once I'd been teaching awhile. Not happening. It's just my personality. I'm quiet and reserved in most situations. I'll open up more once I'm used to someone, but I'm still not a naturally outgoing person.

People used to call me shy when I was young, but I'm not so much shy as reserved. It's not like I want to join in and be more like an extrovert. I'm perfectly happy with my quiet nature.

I get the job done at work, and I'm the one people come to when they want something done quickly and quietly.

13. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Jul 20, 2012

Ater a day of me yelling at my kids, pointless meetings.. I want alone time. I Half days are my favorite because I shut the door, put my feet up, have a snack, and luxuriate in the sound of silence again. Guess that makes me an introvert

If you are shy this is not the job for you because you will have to talk a lot as a teacher, entertain your class with stories.

14. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 20, 2012

Except when you're posting pictures of yourself in a bikini, right?
    At ths point, milsey, you can't possibly think anyone takes you seriously.

15. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 20, 2012

This is the teacher who wonders why her "bait" isn't getting her any interviews????:lol::lol::lol:

16. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 20, 2012

She isn't lacking job offers for being an introvert,,:spitwater: