What Are Your Summer Plans?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, May 27, 2009.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 27, 2009

June 11th is the last day of school for me (May 21st was at my college). I work for a traditional school system district, so I'll be completely FREE this summer...all 2 mos of it (oh joy :mellow:). I definitely won't be working, however, I'll be working on my grad school app, which is due Sept 1st.

What I NEED to do is make the gym my 2nd home & get in better shape!
    I wish I could go on a nice vacation like a Hawaiian cruise, but I don't know. I want to go back there again so much!

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 27, 2009

~Continue to job search
    ~Getting a teaching job (hopefully) and getting my classroom ready for the new year
    ~would love to get a gym membership again and start working out at least 3x a week
    ~would love to take dd to the beach but will probably wait until next summer

4. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

May 27, 2009

Move across the country

RELAX for the first time in a long time (my longest break before this summer was 2 week...grrrr nearly year long schools)

Break down standards into long-term plan and objectives, units, etc.

Play with my doggy!

5. Jem

Jem Aficionado

May 27, 2009

My summer will be about the same as every other season right now, but my parents are coming to visit the last week in June/first week in July. I can't WAIT!! We've been planning this for months. I got us Wicked tickets, and we're FINALLY going to go to Alcatrez (we always forget to get tickets in advance). Mom's going to take a look at Sprout, as she's interested in opening a Michigan chapter. It's going to be fun, fun, fun.

I wish I had more planned. Dh said if I get a job, I can go to Disney World, but I think that will have to wait for Christmas break, as I want to go with my mom and I don't think she can take more time off work. Oh! I may got out to Boulder for a week when my parents visit my brother out there-there's talk of camping for a few days, and it would be great to be together as a family again.

6. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

May 27, 2009

stg's list is pretty much mine ..except for bringing her dd to the beach ...no dd here :haha:

I am going to NYC for the 1st time and I am really excited!!!

7. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

May 27, 2009

Can I get you to take some wind, temperature and current readings. I'm planning on doing that swim some day.

8. Jem

Jem Aficionado

May 27, 2009

You know, Sarge, dh just swam that swim yesterday morning!!

His office is sponsoring several relay teams for the Escape from Alcatraz. Dh has done it once on his own, so he does the team format with his office now. His boss rented a boat to take all the swimmers out to the island to practice the swim, and roped dh into doing it, even though dh is doing the bike portion for the actual race. So yesterday at 4am, he was getting out of bed and preparing to swim the bay.

In fact, when he got home, he asked if I had told you that he did the swim-you're a bit of a celebrity in this house. ;) I said no, but now I can correct myself. If you're ever looking for an open water swimming partner, let me know. He needs someone else to practice with!

9. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

May 27, 2009

I plan to do nothing. I am taking a math class one week and the rest of time watch TV, clean my house, and play with my dogs!!!

10. Kase

Kase Companion

May 27, 2009

Working, working out and studying for the GRE

11. irx7fani

irx7fani Rookie

May 27, 2009

1) Summer Internship for my Administration MA

2) Hopefully get into a summer class for my MA

3) Take Kaplan GRE classes so i can apply for my Ed.d

4) Work out more often

12. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

May 27, 2009

This summer, I'll probably be heading down to SF a few times to swim with Swimart. They're a great group. They practice in Aquatic Park. I'll let you know when I'm there.

Why doesn't he do the Tiburon Mile? It's a great swim and also supports some very worthy charities.

13. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 27, 2009

Yep, I'll be studying the whole month of June for the GRE too...test date is July 1st.

14. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

May 27, 2009

-Job search and hopefully get a job and getting ready for next school year, but if not getting on a couple of more sub lists
    -Work at my part-time job
    -Go to Disney World right around July 4th
    -Hopefully go on a couple of day trips
    -Watch tv (especially Big Brother and The Young and the Restless)
    -Spend too much time on this website
    -Read

15. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

May 27, 2009

JUNE
    June is a ton of staff development and planning.
    I am hoping to go camping a few times and we have tickets to several concerts and baseball games.

JULY
    Another weekend camping and another ballgame.
    I am teaching summer school (2 weeks in July).

AUGUST
    Hoping to spend 2 weeks in Mexico in August...I would love to go to Paris or Ecuador, but I think Mexico will be more afforable.
    Visit a few college friends.

16. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

May 27, 2009

I didn't get hired for summer school.

So my "big plan" is to pave a 500sf part of my backyard that is presently dirt. Until this weekend it was dirt and weeds. Now it's just dirt.

Until we had French doors installed on that side of the house, we couldn't see the dirt and weeds. Now the dirt and weeds is the first thing you see when you look out the windows.

My wife is getting tired of looking at the dirt. She tells me quite often how tired she is of looking at the dirt. Now I'm getting tired of her telling me how tired she is of looking at the dirt. So I'm really looking forward to taking care of the dirt so the weeds never come back.

I also have a lot of swimming to do. And in late July, we're going to Ireland and the UK.

17. Jem

Jem Aficionado

May 27, 2009

That clears up your Facebook status, Sarge. We were both laughing at the piles of dirt you moved, and now it's suddenly so clear!

18. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

May 27, 2009

Well, school doesn't get out until June 23rd for me, but I will still pretend its summer on the weekends!

June:
    * 1 wedding, 2 christenings, 2 high school graduation parties, The Fray concert, my work bridal shower, and pack up my classroom

July:
    * teach summer school for 6 weeks from June 30-Aug 6, move stuff into my new classroom, get our marriage license, take a prof devt workshop or two from the district

August:
    * finish summer school, rehearsal dinner, GET MARRIED!!!, go to another wedding, go to Cancun for a week on my honeymoon, prepare to teach 1st grade for the first time ever

September: (even though school starts...)
    * DMB concert, extended weekend in Wildwood, Light the Night walks

I also hope to go to some Phillies baseball games, the beach, and spend lots of time with my niece and nephews this summer. They are my world :love: They are 4 yo, 3 yo, and 6 months old!

19. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

May 27, 2009

DH is going to Las Vegas this weekend ... I will be at home alone, with the dogs. Relaxing!

I have a conference to attend in June.

I am presenting at a conference in July.

My best friend/old college roommate is coming to spend a week with DH and I in July. !!!

Lots of fishing.

Lots of gardening.

Lots of relaxing!

20. tiki7719

tiki7719 Companion

May 28, 2009

NYC is great!!!! Make sure you see a Broadway play! It is spectacular!

Also, check out: www.foodsofny.com for a food/culture tour they offer.

This summer, I hope to make it to NYC in Aug when I am done with my BA in history and social studies :) Then, I will start putting in my sub applications :)

21. MuggleBug

MuggleBug Companion

May 28, 2009

Getting married at the end of June! Followed by our Disney cruise honeymoon. Then moving across state and continuing the job hunt.

22. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

May 28, 2009

I'll be coming home on June 12, parking the car by the barn, closing the gate, and not coming out until late August.

I plan to garden, clean, play with my toys, and work on some new materials for school. My only big "project" is to get the last of the barn cats to let me pet her. Tux is the only one who doesn't want a scratch before she gets fed.

23. Kase

Kase Companion

May 28, 2009

I haven't set my test date yet. I need to do that. I've been checking out books from the library. It's so overwhelming. I decided to give like 3 days for each parts and then do practice tests and study what I need more work on. It's just easier said than done. :lol:

24. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

May 28, 2009

* Tutor former student twice weekly.
    * 4-5 weddings--1 down 3-4 to go. 3 weddings are back-to-back in July. I'm in one wedding in July. Bf is in another wedding in July.
    * Wedding and bridal shower this weekend.
    * Bachelorette party in late June.
    * Vacation to Florida in June for a week with bf's extended family.
    * Close on our house mid/late June.
    * Move and unpack my classroom.
    * Pack, move, and unpack from apartment to new house.
    * Paint a few rooms in new house.
    * Make a couple additions/updates to new house--buy a fridge, replace kitchen lighting, replace front and back storm doors.
    * Garden around new house.

Somewhere in there I'll be able to breathe... I hope.

25. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 28, 2009

Wow, Mac, you're going to be very busy!

26. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

May 28, 2009

I know... I definitely won't battle boredom this summer!

27. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

May 28, 2009

Since I haven't worked much during the school year, I will be tutoring at least 2 students on my own and hope to find some more students! (Side note- one of the parents wondered why I was charging the same amount as last year and I told her I didn't want people to be turned off by too high of a price and not have anyone to tutor! I think that's a hint to raise my price but I don't know what they're comfortable with so I'm not planning on it)

I might also do a local summer camp if there's enough kids.

I also work as a PT nanny so I'll give her a call too.

I need to make some $$ to make up for a few emergency visits (myself and my dog = expensive)

28. elizak83

elizak83 Companion

May 28, 2009

We don't finish with school until June 19th...
    on the 28th I'm going on a cruise to Bermuda (I can't wait!)
    Then in July I am moving out of my apt. to a new apt. (I hate my roommate)
    Then I have lots of relatives visiting...it should be a busy summer.

29. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

May 28, 2009

Weekend of the 13th, we're camping over near Kennedy Space Center to see the shuttle launch. There aren't too many left to see.

July 4-leaving on a cruise.

Another week (before August 10) a driving vacation somewhere.

And everything in between will be filled with doctor, dentist, eye doctor appointments; cleaning house, putting together a photo album for my Mom (she has Alzheimer's), organizing craft stuff and just plain old sitting on my butt.

30. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 28, 2009

I was just asked today to teach summer school for the 1st time, so I'll be doing that for a month. All I know so far is it's for grades 4-8. I'm a tad nervous , but excited. If anyone has any tips, please post them here:

http://forums.atozteacherstuff.com/showthread.php?t=86189

deedee, I'm jealous! I need to go back to NY. I didn't get to shop enough whatsoever, but I was at the US Open, since I'm a huge tennis fan. I also saw The Lion King at the time.