What are your students reading?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by dizzykates, Apr 3, 2012.

1. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Apr 3, 2012

I am wondering what your students are currently reading. This could be either their self selected novels or books you assign. I let my students choose there own novel selections and I make sure they share out once a month or so in a small group so they hear about different novels. I also do book talks at least once a month. I usually show book trailers and I am hoping to find some new inspiration for you guys!

My students are still very much into The Hunger Games and Twilight, but I am showing trailers for The Limit by Kristen Landon and The Afterlife by Gary Soto for sure, but hope to find some more ideas from you!

3. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Apr 3, 2012

Some of my students who are still into vampires are reading The Society of S and the rest of the Ethical Vampire series by Susan Hubbard.

4. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Apr 3, 2012

Right now, my students have their choice of Jekyll and Hyde, Watership Down, A Tale of Two Cities, and 1984. Next year, we're trying to add Fahrenheit 451 to the mix. The best comment I've had from a student was that she didn't like 1984 because it disturbed her, but she appreciated it enough that she is now watching the news for the first time ever because she wants to be aware of how the world is being manipulated.

5. tchr4evr

tchr4evr Companion

Apr 4, 2012

Depends on the class

AP kids just finished Communist Manifesto, and are reading King Lear. They've also read The Crucible, In Cold Blood, Silent Spring, The Great Gatsby, Brave New World

English 12 is currently reading Jekyll & Hyde and will be reading Dracula.

My AP kids also read two books by one author over the course of the year. My English kids also pick two books of their own choice, one for each of the first two nine weeks.

6. okhistory

okhistory Rookie

Apr 4, 2012

How many novels do you guys read in a school year and how long does each novel (approximately) take to complete?

7. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Apr 5, 2012

For pleasure reading, my students are into the Hunger Games and generally anything with vampires.

8. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Apr 5, 2012

My students are suppose to read 40 self-selected books over the course of the year. Some read more, some read much less, but that is the goal we set for them. I expect to see consistent progress and regular reading, if they are doing that and doing their homework (30 minutes of reading/night) they should be able to achieve it. I also give them 10-15 minutes every day in class. I am hoping to make several keynote presentations about various popular books to use next year.

9. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Apr 5, 2012

Right now we're doing Taming of the Shrew, Mississippi Trial, 1955, Boy in the Striped Pajamas, Warriors Don't Cry, The Diary of a Young Girl, and Hunger Games.

10. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Apr 6, 2012

Right now we have a number of literature circles going on the kids are reading...

When Zachary Beaver Came to Town
    A Wrinkle In Time
    From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler
    Almost Starring Skinny Bones

And we're reading "The Truth About Truman" to the class which is about cyber bullying and they LOVE it.

In addition these are some of the popular chapter books they're reading right now...
    I Survived Series
    Titanic Book One, Two & Three (By Gordon Korman, its a new favorite of the boys in the class, I just ordered his trilogy about Mt. Everest.)
    My Weird School series & My Weirder School series
    Magic Tree House Fact Trackers have become a non-fiction favorite, especially the Snakes and Twisters ones
    Al Capone Does My Shirts (just ordered the sequel)
    The Loser List
    Junie B. Jones series
    American Girl series
    Dear America series
    Judy Moody series

As you can see we have a wide range of reading levels and a wide range of interests! And I just can't stop buying books lol

11. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Apr 6, 2012

The kids in 4th grade in my school are supposed to read 35 books, regardless of their level. (Which is a little silly to me because I have some kids reading 200 page novels and other kids reading Amelia Bedelia and Henry and Mudge.) Obviously it's easier for the kids reading shorter books to complete the challenge. Most kids are on pace to reach the challenge by the end of the year I just think it would make sense to vary how many they should read by reading level, a W reader is going to read books at a much slower pace than a D reader.

12. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Apr 6, 2012

Required summer reading is Scat.

My Percy Jackson books are in shreds! I need new copies.

My girls - the non-vampire-loving ones - like The Dairy Queen trilogy - I love them, too. Boys like the Alex Rider series.

My most-stolen books are The Immortal Nicholas Flamel series, A Series of Unfortunate Events, Raven's Gate series, and The Missing series.

I just showed Apple's 1984 commercial (lesson on persuasion), and we had a talk about what 1984 is about and compared it to The Hunger Games. They're fired up to read it in high school now :)

13. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Apr 9, 2012

Our solution to this is to set a minimum page requirement. A book has to be 50 pages in order to count and needs to be within 150 lexile points of their level when at all possible. If a book is more than 250 pages it counts as two books, thus encourages kids to pick up those bigger books as well.

14. aliced456

aliced456 New Member

Apr 10, 2012

Hi ,
    welcome to this forum site.Thanks for providing such a useful information
    here u can find lot of things.
    If you have any problem.
    post your question here for quick reply.
    Animation Tutorial

15. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Apr 10, 2012

So then if a kid is reading a 25 page book would 2 books count as 1? I only teach 4th graders (posted here by mistake) so some of my "lower" readers just wouldn't be able to find books on their level that are 50 pages long. It does sound more fair when you're going by page # rather than books.

16. aliced456

aliced456 New Member

Apr 11, 2012

Hi ,
    welcome to this forum site.Thanks for providing such a useful information .

17. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Apr 11, 2012

I would see what the average length is of an appropriate book for your students. My students are not allowed to count books that are less than the minimum number of pages. That's the best part of this assignment, you make the rules that work for your kids!

18. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Apr 11, 2012

I'm afraid that the only author my students read is the guy who wrote, "Pull Tab To Open."

:lol: