What are your strengths?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by heavens54, May 14, 2010.

1. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

May 14, 2010

If you were to answer this question, what would you say?

3. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

May 15, 2010

I would say classroom management. I just have to be in our room and the children are doing the right thing.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 15, 2010

After almost 25 years in the classroom, I had BETTER have a long list or something is wrong!

- I know my content. I think that has to be very near the top or it's hard to be a good teacher. I know what the kids learned last year and what they're going to learn next year. I know stuff that's not in any of the courses they'll take in high school. I can answer the question "when are we going to use this?" even if that answer is "probably never."

-My classroom management skills are good. I'm not above having a rough day, no one is. But the occasions where I have to bump a problem up to administration, say through a detention slip, are fairly rare.Walking by my room you'll sense that learning is going on.

- My class is well organized. I don't believe in surprises. The kids know ahead of a time when there's a quiz or a test. My notes are good and easy to follow.

- The kids like my class. Even if they're not fond of math, most kids are happy to see my name on their schedules in September. They see me as fair and they like the way I teach.

- The parents like me. I'm good about keeping parents in the loop, whether there's a problem or a sign of improvement.

- The administration likes me. I'm professional. I get the job done. I can teach whatever needs to be taught, and don't have a problem with last minute changes. They know I'll dress and act and speak professionally. They know that flexibility is an important part of my job as teacher, and they like that I'm flexible.

Again, if anyone who started to teach in 1980 couldn't say all that, I would say they were in the wrong profession. And, yes, there are kids I'm having trouble reaching and ones along the way who haven't liked me. But overall, I think that I'm a good teacher.

5. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

May 15, 2010

It's easy for me come up with engaging activities for the kids-we use every minute of the school day. Every day they can tell me something new that they've learned. And it's fun for them because we do a lot of movement, collaboration.

I share ideas and contribute to our team/school, volunteer to facilitate several student activities.

I understand the GT kids-they are given activities that will really challenge them. I also have the patience to deal with their parents!:D

6. deserttrumpet

deserttrumpet Comrade

May 15, 2010

To add to the list

I have written and recieved grants for classroom activities

I have proposed and written new curriculum

I have a passion for my subject area

I take advantage of "teachable moments" (example: kid brings in bat and we key it out to find out what kind of bat it is)

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 15, 2010

Passion- which translates into excitement for learning to the kids I teach
    Intelligence- I believe teachers should be intelligent...(crazy concept, huh?) I read professional books, stay current on research and trends in education, never stop learning
    Excellent rapport with parents and collegues- I earn respect and am a leader
    Energy-my classroom is a dynamic place- a 'productive buzz'.