What are your Spring Break plans?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by BioAngel, Mar 7, 2011.

1. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Mar 7, 2011

My school is currently on two weeks vacation for Spring Break. THANK YOU LORD! :lol: I really needed a break--- not a break to sit around and do my own thing, but a break to try to figure some stuff out since this position (while I love it and am very happy to have it) is kicking my butt. (It's a new school for me--- 4 grades and three times the students that I normally have taught)

What are your plans for Spring Break? I don't have any real personal plans, besides getting some wedding planning finished (I got my dress so I feel like I'm done lol) and doing a good cleaning of each of rooms in my apartment (today was the living room's day--- after 3 hours I still have to organize books and dust one area). Teaching wise--- I have a list that should keep me working 5-6 hours a day for the next two weeks.

1. Catch up on grading-- I have stuff from 3rd grade, 4th grade, 5th grade, and 6th grade. 3rd: Notebook checks and treasure hunts, 4th: Scientist biographies, 5th: their last quiz, and 6th: Data analysis papers.

2. Build a Teacher Binder-- I noticed that another teacher has a really neat binder that she uses to keep her grades and attendance and what not in. I decided to FINALLY (this project has been on my to do list for awhile) put mine together so I've been busy today figuring what will work for me.

3. Class Policies-- I'm noticing that I'm running into a lot of problems with late homework, students just not communicating with me about work, etc that I'd like to STOP. I decided that since each student has planbook to write down homework, I'll have students fill out a little form when they're missing an assignment that I'll sign and staple into the copybook. Students will have to get it signed by a parent and return it with the completed assignment. I just have to keep track of which student has what.

And then the regular lesson planning and curriculum map updating--- plus answering any emails that come in during the next two weeks (report cards go out this week :unsure: )

3. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Mar 7, 2011

We only get a week (April 18-22) and I NEVER do anything school-related. "Break" means exactly that to me, a break from that stuff.

4. BioAngel

Mar 7, 2011

Do you plan ahead to have everything ready for when do you return? What about grading? And lesson planning?

I'd love to be able to do that. Any insights?

5. Major

Major Connoisseur

Mar 7, 2011

Spring break is play time.....

6. passionateacher

passionateacher Comrade

Mar 7, 2011

If I wasn't preggers at the moment, I'd be trying to figure out what cheap cruise I can find for that week. mine is also April 18-22. Unfortunately preggy people past 24 weeks are banned from cruises. And I won't be able to go on another until my son is at least 6 months :mellow:. I'm sure I'll either be sitting around the house sleeping in and catching up on Grey's Anatomy and Desperate Housewives. Or we might make a spontaneous trip to Atlanta to visit my in-laws.

7. BioAngel

Mar 7, 2011

Now I feel like a loser....

Anybody doing school work?? :huh:

8. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 7, 2011

We still have 7 weeks until spring break. The powers that be who invented this calendar saw fit to keep us in school with no breaks from Christmas until the end of April and then just 3 weeks left in school when we come back from our week off. I won't even be thinking about school during break.

9. passionateacher

passionateacher Comrade

Mar 7, 2011

There's always a chance I will grade some papers or look up some stuff for an upcoming unit. But not like I used to. My first 2-3 years I took advantage of my breaks/holidays to catch up on things like that. But now I've let go a little bit because my husband made it clear to me that it bothered him to see me always doing teacher-y stuff when I came home. Plus I felt like a loser when my colleagues claimed they never took work home and kept asking why I brought such a big bag home. If I were single though, I wouldn't feel as guilty because I wouldn't be sacrificing family time. It would be a personal choice that would affect only me.

10. Major

Major Connoisseur

Mar 7, 2011

I really don't have papers to grade.... but I do have a lot of playing to do....

Seriously, BioAngel..... makes some time for yourself to get out and enjoy whatever it is you like to do..... Life is meant to LIVE.......:hugs:

11. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Mar 7, 2011

It will be just another day for me. I don't really get a spring break. We get Good Friday and the Monday after Easter. Which, the Monday is a contingency day, so most likely I'll be in school on that Monday, so only one day off. No plans whatsoever.

12. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Mar 7, 2011

Milan Italy awaits!!! I'll be chaperoning 12 students and we will leave a week before Spring break and will return in the middle of Spring Break. I can't wait!!!

13. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 7, 2011

Our break is next week--I will be doing a lot of school work: revamping the Holocaust unit I'll be starting in April (making modifications for my Special Ed students), organizing some of the resources I'm purging from my office/Resource Room at school, marking the novel studies that are due on Friday.

14. Major

Major Connoisseur

Mar 7, 2011

Now that's a fun spring break..... except maybe for the 12 kids...:lol:

15. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 7, 2011

Marci~have fun!!!

Our spring break is next week. I plan on sleeping in, catch up on some reading, and whatever else we can find to get into. :) But I don't do school work during breaks.

16. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 7, 2011

We just returned from February break.

We're off just before Easter.

We're going up to Mystic Seaport from Wednesday until Saturday.

17. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Mar 7, 2011

Mine is not for another month. We are headed to FL for 5 days which will also be our "babymoon." I can't wait!

18. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Mar 7, 2011

Sleep...

19. Mellz Bellz

Mellz Bellz Comrade

Mar 7, 2011

Mine is not until the week after Easter. I am going to try to catch up on some general life business that I've been neglecting because we haven't had a day off since Martin Luther King Day, so Mon-Fri I live, eat, and breathe school. I'm going to try to make it back home for a few days to see the family too.

20. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Mar 7, 2011

Mexico!!!! I am counting down the days. :D

21. outsidethelines

outsidethelines Companion

Mar 7, 2011

I have a huge list of both school and personal stuff I want to accomplish next week during spring break! Here is part of it:

School: prepare for final observation, work on new teacher portfolio for the Board of Ed, lesson plans for the following 2 weeks, test prep activities, create new seating plans

But...I am going to try to get as much of the school things accomplished this week so that I don't have to do as much over spring break.

Personal: unpack/sort stuff in the guest room, donate clothes and extra things to goodwill, give the house a really good scrubbing, clean out car, go look at and *maybe* buy a new car, get a dog pen for the doggies, get new carpet in the future nursery

I know I won't get ALL of this done, but I like to set high goals. :lol:

22. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 7, 2011

Sleep in, stay up late, relax, work out at the gym, hopefully a girl's day out with a friend, & have relatives visit who I haven't seen in 5 yrs.

23. teacherhoosier

teacherhoosier Companion

Mar 8, 2011

I'm going to San Fransisco with my mom..leaving on March 19 and getting back the 26th..the Saturday after I get back, I'll go in my room and get plans done for the next week...I really need a break..haven't been on a vacation in 3 years..however, have my last evaluation of the year the Wed. before spring break, so cannot get too ahead of myself...

24. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Mar 8, 2011

We get next Thursday and Friday and the weekend for spring break. Not really enough to get excited about. We probably won't leave the house, just work on projects at home:
    organizing photo albums.
    cleaning out the kids' closets of too small clothes
    putting up winter blankets and bed spreads and bringing out lighter items for warmer weather.
    building pig pen for kid's fair pigs

25. rookieteacher:)

rookieteacher:) Companion

Mar 8, 2011

I am SO excited to go down to Illinois and spend time with my "Illinois family" and my boyfriend. We are still doing the long distance thing so both of us having a break will take away a lot of the stress.

I hope everyone enjoys their break! :)

26. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Mar 8, 2011

Next week...#1 thing TAXES...buy a new car...and OYE (Oklahoma Youth Expo). That is it!

27. nklauste

nklauste Comrade

Mar 8, 2011

We have a teacher workday on Friday (which for me means come in for the faculty meeting and leave whenever I feel like it since I don't have grades or anything to do), I am taking my puppy to PetCo to get some new toys and things for his first birthday, then next Monday-Thursday my family and I are going to Wisconsin Dells.

28. bondo

bondo Cohort

Mar 8, 2011

I try to get ahead on spring break so that my summer is a little more freed up. However, I will go somewhere for a three-day weekend. I am not sure where though perhaps Vermont or Maine.

29. BioAngel

Mar 8, 2011

I guess I don't feel too bad about working on this spring break since I'll be getting married in July and then will be spending a week in Maine :) So I guess if I put the work in now, I'll have more free time to relax this summer.

30. DallasLady

DallasLady Rookie

Mar 8, 2011

I do not do school work during Thanksgiving, Winter or Spring Breaks. I will not grade a single paper, write a single lesson or email a single parent. If that makes me a bad teacher, then so be it.

Now, summer is a different story.

31. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Mar 8, 2011

BioAngel, I will also be using spring break to get some school stuff done. We have 1 week off, but I can definitely take several days to relax and do some stuff around the house, etc., while still spending a few days working. We haven't had a day off since snow days in early January, and I really need to get caught up on a few things! (And get ahead for the spring...)

32. BioAngel

Mar 8, 2011

We had six snow days in Jan and February--- on top of this being a new school for me. Honestly I'm not going to fret about what I do get done or what I don't get done this year. I just need to get through and hopefully teach my students the majority of what they need to know.

33. Major

Major Connoisseur

Mar 8, 2011

Relax now...... but know that Maine is one of the best places to spend a week or so in the summer......

Coast line - lobster....Coast line - lobster....Coast line - lobster....Coast line - lobster....Coast line - lobster........

I love Maine......:)

34. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Mar 8, 2011

What part?

35. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Mar 8, 2011

I'll be at work making up one of our bazillion snow days. Well, maybe it was only 20, but still . . . a ridiculous amount of days. We still have to get through the rest of winter and floor season. Ugh.

36. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Mar 8, 2011

Relax and clean the house. That is primarily it.