What are your 'non-negotiables' and consequences?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by uscsoccer, Aug 16, 2011.

1. uscsoccer

uscsoccer Rookie

Aug 16, 2011

Brand-new high school ELA/ESL teacher here-- what are your non-negotiables and consequences?

3. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Aug 16, 2011

Are you talking about classroom management issues?

4. uscsoccer

uscsoccer Rookie

Aug 16, 2011

Yes- sorry for not being clear. I have general guidelines, such as:
    come prepared for class, respect whoever is speaking (by not talking over them), and respect class materials. I'm just looking to see what others have as their 'non-negotiable' rules/expectations. Thanks!

5. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Aug 16, 2011

My biggest is entering the classroom ready to work.

If a student comes into my room rough housing or talking loudly or anything that will require them to "settle down" before starting, I make them leave the room and try again. This general takes one or two examples before the message it out.

Attendance policy allowed me to count any student not in their sets, prepared, as tardy. Again, once or twice during the first week was all it took.

An added benefit is that because the kids were already orderly before the bell, we could enjoy the idle chatter and "catch ups" because we coud hear and see everyone. So this actually gave us a more relaxed atmosphere.

6. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Aug 16, 2011

Please excuse my "phone typos." too much to go back and fix!

7. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Aug 16, 2011

Don't forget "Follow directions the first time they are given"!

8. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Aug 16, 2011

My non-negotiables:

1. Don't mess with anything that doesn't belong to you without permission from the owner.

2. Don't use any derogatory/hateful/inflammatory language towards anyone in the room.

Those are my absolute, no excuses taken, rules. Breaking them means an immediate removal from my room.

Now, does that mean if they touch something that doesn't belong to them I'll have them suspended? No. But at the minimum, they will be in the office or in the hall and get the "for the love of pandas, you are 17 years old. Grow up and stop touching things that don't belong to you. If I have to have this conversation with you again, there will be much more serious consequences" lecture.

For the second rule, they are gone. Period. They don't get to come back in my room without a visit to the principal first.

9. I Teach

I Teach New Member

Aug 18, 2011

I'm a false beginner teacher, but here are the five rules I'm going to try out this year.

Show respect for others and their belongings.
    Only one person talking at a time.
    In your assigned seat with required materials when the bell rings.
    Follow directions the first time they are given.
    Always be willing to try.

I'm hesitant about the last one because I can't really enforce that, but I think it's important as a foreign language teacher. Can't think of another general rule that would encompass it though.

10. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Aug 18, 2011

These are my non-negotiables, too. I think, other than these two mandates, the word "non-negotiable" (or too many non-negotiables) can put you in a position of losing authority because you're going to have to bend in some cases.

Anything that would get my students arrested (or that they wouldn't do or say in front of a judge) is considered a "never" in my classroom. And, I tell them that one of my responsibilities is to teach them how to act outside of school and in the workplace. Believe it or not, most of them appreciate learning how to conduct themselves as professionals (especially the 11th and 12th graders).

11. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 18, 2011

No cheating.

No derogatory language. those are the big ones.

12. uscsoccer

uscsoccer Rookie

Aug 18, 2011

Thanks so much, everyone. This is really helpful!

13. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 19, 2011

1. Don't cheat. It assumes I'm too stupid to catch you. And it lowers your dignity.

2. Fire drills are serious stuff. Fool around in a fire drill and you'll find yourself in the dean's office faster than you can imagine.

That's really it. Beyond that, I don't have a whole lot of real rules. We work bell to bell for 180 days and disruptions are rare.

14. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Aug 19, 2011

I caught lots of kids cheating, on my tests, even standardized tests.
    I usually gave them a second chance, but some continued to do it.
    So I gave them a 55 . We were not allowed to give out Zeros.

15. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 19, 2011

What kinds of behavior mgt techniques did you employ to monitor test taking behavior? It would be virtually impossible to cheat on a standardized test in my classroom and for other assessments, I'm circulating, overseeing the room.

16. Gracie44

Gracie44 Rookie

Aug 19, 2011

I have the same usual rules, but I also believe strongly in every one learning and using one another's names. Names show that you actually see the person as an individual.

I don't allow interruptions when any one is talking unless we are intentionally having a chaotic speak at once session.

I require every one to answer any question. It is called no opt out from Teach Like a Champion and it is done in a caring and relaxed way, but if a students say I don't know, I say ok, but I am coming right back to you. Then, once I have gotten the answer I go back to the kid with a smile and ask the original question. Guesses and incorrect answers are totally fine, but I won't accept a nothing or a complete lack of effort. I can take a wrong answer and turn it into a learning opportunity.

17. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Aug 19, 2011

Well, I put out candy on their desks if they didn't talk. If they stayed quiet after 20 minutes, they got another candy bar. But some of the quiet ones gave the talkers their candy bars, so that didn't work. And there were wrappers on the floor.

18. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 19, 2011

Do you think any of your actions played into your administrators ratings of your performance? If you truly are an educator in search of a job, Milsey, you might benefit from some introspection. If you are here to just get attention, it's wearing thin.

19. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Aug 20, 2011

It seemed like no one was in charge at my school OK, there were fights and kids roaming the hallways all the time, so don't judge me for the failures of a whole school. I did my best. My observer (a former prinicpal) for my Level 1 graded me on a curve after seeing what conditions I had to teach under.

The principal, who hardly ever left her office, gave me 2 U's. Whatever. I got them erased from my record.

NB:No one should sign an observation form he or she feels is unfair.
    The only thing you are obligated to sign is your sign-in sheet. Don't let these admins bully you.
    Thank god for unions to protect our rights.

20. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 21, 2011

It may seem unfair to you, but you have posted about very questionable practices occurring in your class.
    ( r rated movies, making kids do pushups for having unhealthy snacks, kids texting in class, a musical chairs game, recurrent cheating on tests,,,,)..Sometimes teachers' practices create a negative mindset in administrators...

21. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 24, 2011

Wait... what? I thought you were worried about their health and promoted healthy lifestyle. Why in the world are you bribing them with candy?

22. mnteacher2011

mnteacher2011 New Member

Aug 24, 2011

Has anyone used Love and Logic in the classroom for behavior management at the secondary level?