What Are Your Must Read Books

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by C2Teach, Jun 7, 2007.

1. C2Teach

C2Teach Rookie

Jun 7, 2007

I am looking to return to the classroom this year after having stayed home with my children. I am soooo ready to get back into teaching. I have really missed the kids and staff that I used to teach with. I am wanting to freshen up in the area of professional knowledge so that I can be up and running right away - but at the same time I don't want to fork at the money for books that are just so so. Can I get some opinions on the books below (for primary grades - targeted 2nd grade). Thanks!

Tools for Teaching ( is this one just for beginners or for all teachers - I have a good feel for the basics and have 3 copies of the Wong book - but at the same time if it's a good read then it would be worth it plus I saw where there is a new addition to it)

Reading With Meaning by Debbie Miller

Love and Logic (discipline book)

Any of the Fountas and Pinnell (sp?) books

When I taught before, I had pretty good classroom management and very structured days. My overall philosophy is having respect in the classroom - from that I use more of a positive/preventative behavior system. Reading was taught as a combination of Patricia Cunningham's 4 blocks method as well as levelled reading groups.

Thanks again for any advice!

3. teach1stgrade

teach1stgrade Rookie

Jun 8, 2007

You might read Debbie Diller's book: Literacy Work Stations.

It is full of great ideas for the primary classroom!

Also, I agree with all of the other books you listed! I especially love Debbie Miller's book!

Welcome back!!!! I had taken a few years off to be with my kids and this past year was my first year back! I really enjoyed it! :)