What are your most successful cues?

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by Upsadaisy, Jun 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. america82099

america82099 Rookie

Jul 3, 2011

For lining up we sing a song to the tune of "The Hokey Pokey"
    "I keep my eyes straight ahead, I keep my hands by my side, I keep my feet so quiet as right out the door we glide, we move so fine in a line, noone turns around, that's what its all about. BEING QUIET! SHHHHHH!"

Also I made up a Silent Simon Says game. When we have to sit outside quietly (waiting for library, etc), I'll announce "Silent Simon Says" then just do some movements, clap patterns, funny faces, wiggling fingers, etc. If you're not silent then you're out. Has worked everytime.

2. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 4, 2011

The cues you all are mentioning are good but I find that some of the silly ones get my kids all wired up.
    I prefer the simple ones like 1,2,3 all eyes on me.

3. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Jul 4, 2011

The BEST one ever is a whole brain teaching technique. When I want the classes attention I say "OH CLASS!" (I can say it soft, loud, in a silly voice or however) and then the class responds "Oh yes!" using the same voice I did.

4. RugRats

RugRats Companion

Jul 4, 2011

Love these ideas!

5. NYteacherNmom

NYteacherNmom Rookie

Jul 4, 2011

I've done this before, and was thinking about bringing it back this year.

Have a class "magic word." Basically the kids volunteer like 4 or 5 words that will be the word given by the teacher as the "signal for quiet." Usually they pick silly or funny words because they like the teacher to say them. The class then votes on which word is their magic word of the month (or however long you decide). Whichever gets the most votes is the word that the teacher says as their signal for quiet.

6. princessbloom

princessbloom Comrade

Jul 4, 2011

I use:
    Me: "Class, class, class."
    Response in unison: "Yes, yes, yes."
    OR
    Me: "Give me your eyes."
    Response in unison: "So I can see." (I use this one when I want to demonstrate, model something or clarify directions.)

If I find that a student is off-task while I am teaching then I walk over to them and tap the desk. They usually know right away what needs to be corrected, as we go over proper ways to sit, listen and be attentive right from the beginning.

I'm sure there are more. I'll post if I think of more.

7. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Jul 25, 2011

These are all great ideas...

8. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Jul 25, 2011

I often use:
    Stop, Look, and Listen.
    (To the tune of the farmer in the dell)

Stop, Look, and Listen.
    Stop, Look, and Listen.
    When ________talks to you:
    Stop, look, and listen.

The blank is usually "the teacher," but I have substituted Mr. Brown or Mrs. Blue, if there is another teacher or adult speaking to the class.

I also use the whole brain repeat/respond:

Me: Oh, Cl-aaaaa-ss?
    Class: Oh, Y-eeeeeee-s!

And at read-aloud:

Me, in a very faint whisper: If you can hear me, hands in your lap. ( a little louder) If you can hear me, hands on your head.
    (a little louder) If you can hear me, come to the rug.
    I usually have their attention fairly quickly, because they love story time.

9. Mrs. Mom

Mrs. Mom Cohort

Jul 25, 2011

I avoid line issues by assigning numbers as most teachers do. However, we have a daily "helper" instead of class jobs. We go down the line, so when it is your turn to be helper, you are the line leader. First day, person number 1 is line leader so we line up 1-20, or whatever. Second day, person 2 is line leader, followed by person 3-20, and person number 1 goes to the back of the line. This always gives everyone a place to be in line, and everyone gets an equal turn at being line leader.

10. schoolteacher

schoolteacher Habitué

Jul 25, 2011

"When I say go, I want you to open up your math workbook and turn to p. 154. What page? (I cup my hand over my ear and the whole class says the page). What page, Kira? What page, Charles? Okay, ready, set, go!"

"By the time I turn around (while erasing the board), I would like to see Kyla and Jameel with their slates out and sitting up tall." This was a routine I had which meant everyone would take out their whiteboards. I'd turn around slowly and look at those 2 people, and the rest of the class would magically be sitting up as well. For some reason, they loved it when I chose random people.

Also, I have them do chants for certain routines. "The first thing I do, is always the same, I pick up my pencil and write my name" (this would be for K - 2). Or, I might say, "Take a peek at your neighbor's paper. If they don't have their name at the top, raise your hand." Everyone loves that one. They are all such busybodies, and love to tattle on each other.

I pick a Super Student randomly each day and keep it a secret. Throughout the day I might say, "Let me see what my super student is doing." Then my eyes sweep the room and magically, everyone is doing the right thing. The super student, if they behave well all day, gets to pick from a prize box at the end of the day. If they don't I just tell them that the super student didn't make it that day, and don't reveal the name.

11. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 25, 2011

School teacher, I use to do something similiar, except it I did it when we were in the halls.

12. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 25, 2011

Those are really good, schoolteacher. They have an appeal for that age - perfectly.

13. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Jul 25, 2011

Lots of great ideas in this thread, but it exemplifies one reason why subbing is so amazingly difficult. The cue for attention is something that varies from class to class and something the teacher rarely adds in lesson plans.

Yes, I can do my own, but it rarely works quite as well as the one the students have been trained on for the previous six months--particularly with the kinders and first graders who think a sub should be a carbon copy of their own teacher. Sometimes I really don't like the call and response ones because often students shout the response. Whether they regularly do that with their own teacher, I don't know, but once a response is shouted to me, I'll change back to my favored one of "If you can hear me, clap one time."

14. teachgrade5

teachgrade5 Comrade

Jul 25, 2011

I use this one. By the end of the year I just hold up my hand and wait until the students hold their hand up to show they are listening and ready to go.

15. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Jul 25, 2011

I pick a Super Student randomly each day and keep it a secret. Throughout the day I might say, "Let me see what my super student is doing." Then my eyes sweep the room and magically, everyone is doing the right thing. The super student, if they behave well all day, gets to pick from a prize box at the end of the day. If they don't I just tell them that the super student didn't make it that day, and don't reveal the name.

This is a cool idea. I also liked your chant about writing the name as the first think I do...my fourth graders could use that.

16. divey

divey Companion

Jul 26, 2011

one of my favorite call-backs is to say "Oh me!" and my class will respond with "Oh my!". (after they're done responding they put their hands on their mouths and their eyes on me).

17. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 26, 2011

I do Class - yes,
    clapping rhythms,
    123, eyes on me... 321, you are the one!
    when I ring my bell, students freeze
    For lining up, my students have number order. The line leader position changes weekly, and also goes in number order, with last week's line leader becoming the caboose this week (shuts the door & hangs my tag on the handle).
    To keep kids still and on the yellow line (all over the school), my kiddos "Slip and Zip," that is, they slip their hands in their pockets & zip their mouths. If a girl has no pockets (as many skirts do not), she will Flip and Zip, which means that her arms are crossed in front of her.

The main thing that seems to have worked for me in the past has been practice, practice, practice at the beginning of the year. If, further on in the year, things are not going well, we practice again until we get it right!

18. missgfl

missgfl Rookie

Jul 26, 2011

One I learned a while back...

Teacher: All Set?
    Students: You bet!
    Teacher: (If they are still not ready) Not yet.... (and repeat)

19. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 26, 2011

I'm gonna "steal" some of these chants - I find them enCHANTing! LOL

20. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 26, 2011

I really like that. Explain the purpose of saying "5+5"... is that just a random cue to get them back to attention? Everything else seems wonderful; I love "Think, Turn and Learn", too.

21. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jul 27, 2011

I'm taking notes here!

I use a few:
    - bell
    - "Room 13..." "Yesss..."
    - "Roller?" "Coaster!"
    - "Macaroni and?" "Cheese!"
    - "I see.." "What do you see?" "I see butterflies!" THey float around like butterflies. "I see..." "What do you see?" "I see room 13 sitting ready to learn!" They jump into their seats.

22. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 27, 2011

I had a principal that would say "Salami" Everyone stopped talking & looked at her!

I agree, I'm stealing some of these.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.