What are your K's making for parents?

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by Gwen, Dec 5, 2007.

1. Gwen

Gwen Companion

Dec 5, 2007

Do you have your students make anything for their parents for gifts for Christmas or Hannukah? What do you have them make? I need project ideas.

Gwen

3. cdowdell

cdowdell Companion

Dec 5, 2007

I am so glad you asked this I was just getting ready to ask the same. I do know the other K teacher is having her kids make a picture frame w/ puzzle pieces that says I Love you to Pieces on it. I also know another K teacher who had her kids make a chalk board (with black paper and popcicle sticks around the edges and wrote ABC 123 (this kids wrote this) she then attached string to make it into an ornament and adds holly made out of felt on the popcicle stick...she also adds a pice of rolled white paper (you can buy these at the craft store that are like the ends of suckers cut up small) to look like chalk). It was cute but Im not sure I'm going to do either of these...I wanted some more ideas!

4. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Dec 5, 2007

We are making candle holders from baby food jars and then making an ornament I bought from Oriental trading.

5. little317

little317 Groupie

Dec 5, 2007

My kids are taking popcicle sticks and decorating them to be a frame. Then I am taking a picture of each student in front of a snowman scene.

6. mrsc_teaches

mrsc_teaches Companion

Dec 5, 2007

I got this from a group I belong to. We are making a snowman ornament. Blue tree ornament and paint thier hands white with little and grab the ball the palm is the snow covered ground and the fingers are the snowmen. I will them add the scarves and hats.

7. dolphinswim

dolphinswim Companion

Dec 5, 2007

I do a "make-it" bear ornament, a craft stick snow man ornament that I let the kids give as gifts...we also make an angle milk carton to put their gift in, a snowman bag for all their goodies, a snowman plate craft kit, a tissue paper xmas tree, and I could go on and on...

8. Kteacher06

Kteacher06 Companion

Dec 5, 2007

A whole bunch of ornaments - some with photos, some without.

9. Miss_J

Miss_J Habitué

Dec 5, 2007

I have the kiddos use model magic and cookie cutters to make ornaments. We then paint them and I give them a plain white gift bag to decorate. Simple, cheep, and adorable!

10. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Dec 5, 2007

Bought carpet squares (50 cents local carpet store) and we are going to do footprint and handprint Rudolph on it. They last forever, and parents will have handprint for the future. And it is something the kids did not me.

11. treysmom

treysmom Comrade

Dec 6, 2007

Salt and flour dough ornaments. I put food coloring in the water when I mix the dough, so it is already colored. We use a small tree cookie cutter. They add other colors of dough in the shape of balls, etc. to decorate. Dip in polyurethane to make durable and shiny. Also, a "coupon book" that I copied good for things like helping to set the table, etc.

12. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Dec 6, 2007

Finished my carpet squares today and they turned out great. Everybody has been by to see them. And it didn't take long for them to dry. We started them at 8:45 this morning and worked about three times a day for about 20 minutes while some did centers and seat work. They turned out great. The gray blue ones looked the best.

13. GoehringTeaches

GoehringTeaches Comrade

Dec 6, 2007

We are making handprint calendars and then my mom is putting together evergreen swags. We'll spend a little while decorating them with bulbs and ribbon and flowers and wala they have a door decoration.

14. NewGirl23

NewGirl23 Rookie

Dec 6, 2007

I ordered clear picture key chain holders from Oriental Trading. I am going to put the child's picture on one side and have them either make a picture of their family or write I Love You on the other side. This is an inexpensive gift, but it will be something the parents will treasure I hope.

15. love2teachk

love2teachk Companion

Dec 7, 2007

In art they've made a puzzle piece ornament, beads on pipe cleaners shaped like a candy cane, and will make the cinnamin ornaments next week. We made the handprint calendar with them from littlegiraffes. It was a little labor intesive, because you do a different handprint picture for each month, plus a front cover. That is 13 pages times 17 kids-LOTS of paint!! It is turned out really cute!!

16. jlj

jlj Devotee

Dec 7, 2007

hand prints using plaster of paris (mold can be whatever shape you want), hand print wreath with child's picture in the center, angels with child's picture, cinammon & applesauce ornaments

17. Silmarienne

Silmarienne Cohort

Dec 8, 2007

I had the kids make popsicle stick boxes. The key to this is to draw a template for the base of the box, drawn and photocopied Not only will the box be reasonably square, but the box won't be glued to the table. :) After doing that (step-by-step, using paintbrushes for the gluing) build up the sides. Demonstrate laying two sticks across, two sticks down, etc. They actually did better with this than I expected. We made lids, too. When dry they painted, then glue and glitter. They look pretty nice and i plan to put some candy in them before they give to Mom and Dad at our Christmas Party.

18. jenejoy

jenejoy Companion

Dec 8, 2007

We put out handprints on a cute little poem. I mat it on construction paper and send it to be laminated. We also make a cute little mouse ornament with a candy cane as the tail using white felt for the body and wiggly eyes. They can chose to give it away or keep it. We also do several other paper ornaments from the book Christmas around the world as we learn about different traditions.

19. jlj

jlj Devotee

Dec 8, 2007

mrachelle87 - Great idea! What kind of paint do you use?

20. jenejoy

jenejoy Companion

Dec 13, 2007

Just the plain old tempera. The poem goes: Sometimes you get discouraged because I am so small And always leave my fingerprints on furniture and wall. But everyday I'm growing-I'll be grown up someday and all those tiny handprints will surely fade away. So here's a final handprint Just so you can recall Exactly how my fingers looked when I was very small. (I actually found the project done the exact same way I have been doing it for several years that I had done in Kidnergarten when I was a girl. My Mom pulled it out of a box of things I'd given her when I was growing up. Talk about a trip to show the kids my old handprints as we were doing our this year.)

21. Gwen

Gwen Companion

Dec 14, 2007

Jane Joy My daughter gave me that poem with her handprints in tempra paint when she was in pre-school. Now she's a big kid but I still have the poem and handprints hanging on my wall. The parents will really treasure that.

22. Miss_J

Miss_J Habitué

Dec 14, 2007

Instead of tempera paint, I do the same thing at the end of the year with washable ink pads. I get huge ones from the teacher supply store around me for $1.99. It comes off so much easier than paint, does not drip, and dries almost instantly.

23. Jazzy*Jai

Jazzy*Jai Rookie

Dec 16, 2007

I need some ideas too. Are there any websites you guys could link for me to see?
    Thanks in advance.

24. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Dec 17, 2007

I use craft paint. The kids painted their foot print, after I traced it with a sharpie. Then they dipped their hands in the paint for the antlers. Then their thumb in red for the nose, and their finger prints in blue for their eyes.

25. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Dec 17, 2007

This is what I made when I taught kinder:
    http://www.littlegiraffes.com/handprintcalendar.html

They were so much fun to make and they came out SO cute!

I teach 5th now, but this could easily be done in kinder. We made reindeer ornaments using red pom pom for nose, googly eyes, those soft sticks (can't remember the name!!) for the antlers, ribbon for bow, and a bell.

26. SLteaCh

SLteaCh Companion

Dec 19, 2007

We made Santa handprint ornaments. I bought some plaster of paris and then made construction paper rings as molds (use colors that will be suitable to see when dried). I put pen caps in the plaster after about 10 minutes to make the ornament hole. Then the kids wrote their names on the back in marker, painted the front a light blue, and then I painted their hands to make Santa (just like in the handprint calendar mentioned above). The kids will draw on eyes and a mouth for Santa, choose hanging ribbon, and glue a laminated poem on the back. Then they'll wrap them in tissue paper. What I love about this project (after doing it just once) is that the paint dries so quickly! I had the kids paint the blue and stamp the Santa in the same 40 minutes! This project does require some prep. work though. :partyhat: