What are your Halloween night plans? Especially if you don't get trick or treaters!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TennisPlayer, Oct 27, 2010.

1. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Oct 27, 2010

I hope my friends invite us over has they have for the past few years because I love the excitement on Halloween with seeing the kids in their cute costumes, hanging out, and well eating some candy!

We don't have many kids where we live so we don't get any that actually come to the door so if we're home it's just going to feel like a typical night -which isn't bad but I want it to be exciting!

So, what are you all doing for fun Halloween night if you do or don't get trick or treaters? Any traditions like playing games, etc? It's just my husband and I so maybe I'll see if he wants to play some Wii games.

3. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Oct 27, 2010

I just bought a new house and moved to the other end of the city, so I'm looking forward to having trick or treaters this year. Since Halloween is on a Sunday, I'll most likely be writing my lesson plans;).

4. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Oct 27, 2010

Visiting my best friend. My hubby is out of town. :( We have an apartment and no real trick or treaters.

We do enjoy going to a local Mexican restaurant though and seeing all the servers dressed up in costumes!

5. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Oct 27, 2010

It's our first Halloween in our new home...so I'm excited to hand out candy to the little trick or treaters. My husband's friend and his wife may come over and we'll watch scary movies (my fav), should be fun! :)

6. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Oct 27, 2010

I always make a Halloween themed dinner before trick or treating. One year we had all green food-green mac and cheese, broccoli, green chicken breasts (pesto). Last year, because Halloween was on a Saturday, we had pumpkin pancakes for breakfast, pumpkin smoothies (in a clear glass with chocolate faces), a snake shaped sandwich for lunch, and mummy hotdogs (hotdogs with breadstick dough wrapped around) for dinner. Then we trick or treat.

We live in the country, so we don't get trick or treaters. When we lived in town, one of us would stay home and hand out candy.

7. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 28, 2010

I don't celebrate Halloween nor will I have trick-or-treaters. It will be a regular 'ole Sun night for me. :)

8. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Oct 28, 2010

Every year is different and depends on how we feel and if anyone has plans and invites us. Last year, hubby and I went trick or treating with his nephews. That was actually a lot of fun. :) I just don't like trick or treating in their neighborhood. Too new, too many empty mini mcmansion homes, just doesn't feel quite the same.

I plan on eating junk food and watching scary movies, otherwise. :D

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 28, 2010

We're on a suburban block with LOTS of trick-or-treaters.

My kids (well Kira anyway) were disappointed to learn that we weren't going trick or treating until at least noon.

We'll trick or treat all afternoon (Peter is photographing a BIG track meet). Then we'll head home for a quick dinner-- hot dogs and mac and cheese probably. Then, as is our custom, we'll go out again. The kids LOVE trick or treating after dark!!! We'll do that for an hour or so, then call it a night; the kids have school the next day.

10. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Oct 28, 2010

Saints vs. Steelers in the Superdome.

11. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 28, 2010

Trick or treating is strictly an after dark (or at least almost dark) activity here. The first kids usually come to the door sometime around 6:00pm. It's busy, busy for about an hour (I sit on the bench inside the front door with my book). Things usually die down completely by 8:00pm, the outside light goes off and we're done. Last year, Lauren went to her boyfriend's to hand out goodies--I'm hoping that they do the same thing here this year.

12. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Oct 28, 2010

Noon?? Holy Cow! I couldn't imagine trick or treating anytime BUT in the dark. I didn't know some places did it all day!

They strictly mandate trick or treat here, which I think is ridiculous. It is actually tonight in the town where I teach, and tomorrow night where I love. And it is from 5-7 I believe. I think it is silly - trick or treat should be on Halloween. Regardless, I am looking forward to seeing how many trick or treaters we get in our new house. If it is a lot, I am going all out next year.

Other than that it will be a regular weekend. Nothing on Halloween itself. Maybe I will wear black or something but that is about it. Will probably be working on my project for my class all day.

13. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Oct 28, 2010

The city has strongly suggested that Trick or Treating be done on Saturday night this year. Fine by me, all my K ids can come down off their sugar highs before Monday!

I always make a crock pot of chili, some hot spiced cider and invite friends and family over. The boys will hand out the candy (if they are home) since they are too old to go out themselves.

14. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 28, 2010

Kira was hoping to either ditch mass all together, or go Saturday night, so she could roll out of bed and put on her costume. I think she was planning on being out there shortly after dawn:lol:

On a school day Halloween, the streets are packed by 4 pm, well before dark.

15. gigi

gigi Groupie

Oct 28, 2010

Our Trick or Treat is on Sunday from 5 to 8. We don't get any trick or treaters where we live. Usually I make spiced cider and some Halloween goodies and we watch Ghost Hunters. This year we are going to DD's, her trick or treat night is Saturday. We are having a fire, roasting marshmallows and hot dogs and since it is her first year at this place, hoping we get some kids! I bought lots of candy.

16. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Oct 28, 2010

No trick or treaters out in the country. I would prefer not having strangers come up to the house anyway since they scare the cats. This year I especially don't want visitors...Game 4 of the World Series is Sunday night and I don't want any interruptions while I'm cheering for my Giants!

17. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Oct 28, 2010

18. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Oct 28, 2010

19. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Oct 28, 2010

Our town has a set of blocks cordoned off for trick-or-treating. The houses there have a few hours when pretty much the entire town is walking up and down those streets. The rest of town gets relatively light trick-or-treating.

That block happens to be pretty affluent, so I think most of the homeowners there aren't bothered by it. Some of them go really over-the-top on decorations.

I'm kind of excited to see AMC's "The Walking Dead". I enjoy zombie films. I'll probably have to DVR it, though.

20. Momma C

Momma C Comrade

Oct 28, 2010

Trick or treating around here will be Saturday night. We usually have tons of kids - which is fun. My neighbors have a haunted house. They leave there and come directly to my house. Just as they go to knock on my door, I yank it open and scare them again. I only do this to the teenagers, not the wee ones. :D

21. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Oct 28, 2010

For those of you who live in states where trick or treating is not on Sunday, is that due to religious or school reasons? I've never heard of trick or treating on any other night besides Halloween and it's only common once it gets dark, so after dinner sometime!

22. Momma C

Momma C Comrade

Oct 28, 2010

I'm in the "Bible Belt," and trick or treating can't interfere with church. Also, it can't be on Friday night because it would interfere with high school football games. :dunno:

23. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Oct 28, 2010

I live in the Bible Belt, too, but we always only trick or treat (after dark) on the actually night of Halloween.

24. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Oct 29, 2010

It is pretty conservative around here so I suspect that has something to do with it, but it is the same day every year - always Thursday before Halloween where I teach and the Friday before Halloween where I live, every year no matter when Halloween is. I just don't understand why the town I teach in does it on a THURSDAY?? If you were going to set a day, why not Friday or Saturday. And last year Halloween was on a Saturday but my town still did it on Friday as usual. Why not switch it to Saturday so it is really on Halloween? I don't get it.

I was talking about it in school and I actually had a kid say, You mean some people actually trick or treat ON Halloween? YES! :dizzy:

It's like saying Santa always comes on the Friday before Christmas, no matter what day Christmas is on. I think it is weird.

25. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Oct 29, 2010

Interesting. I have never heard of kids going before Halloween. So why don't kids go on Halloween there? I still don't understand why that is. I don't get into the scary stuff of Halloween- I just like costumes and the candy!

26. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Oct 29, 2010

The Downtown Trick-or-Treating is right now! It goes from 3-5 here at the downtown businesses who want to participate. Usually our town has requested that trick-or-treating for residents be held on a Saturday when Halloween has been on a Sunday. They didn't make that request this year.

I will be at church that night decorating clipboards with our youth group. So it will be a normal night for us.

27. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Oct 29, 2010

Our Trick or Treating is on Saturday instead of Sunday due to church services. This is the only time it is changed, normally we have it on Halloween from 5-8 or so.

28. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Oct 30, 2010

Around here each city or town announces what night and time trick or treat is. As far as I have seen, it is Saturday night just about everywhere.

We live on a cul-de-sac and rarely get any kids, but we will be having a bonfire with friends and eating the candy we aren't handing out.

29. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Oct 30, 2010

We had something like that in my old town - a parade and then trick or treat on main street where the businesses gave out candy. But that was a different thing then trick or treat on halloween.

We used to do it in the mall, too, when I worked there.

30. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Oct 30, 2010

Our local mall gives out candy too but ONLY on Halloween. Nobody here would even think of doing it any other night. I guess it's just us stubborn NYers who won't have it any other way:)

31. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 30, 2010

Trick or treating is always on Halloween here too.

32. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Oct 30, 2010

I will be watching the Steelers game and handing out candy.