What are your grading percentages?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by CatfaceMeowmers, May 7, 2016.

1. CatfaceMeowmers

CatfaceMeowmers Companion

May 7, 2016

Since my first year is coming to an end, I have realized how many things I am changing next year - one is my grading percentages.

I currently have this grading percentages:

Homework - 10%
    Quizzes - 25%
    Classwork - 25%
    Tests - 40%

However, I am a bit unorganized when it comes to determining what is what. I accidentally grade classwork as quizzes and vice versa. And I was told by veteran teachers that for every 10%, you need 1 grade, so I technically need 4 tests in a quarter (not very doable). Well, since I teach 6th math and homework is an everyday thing, I want to add more emphasis on homework. Here is what I'm thinking for next year.

Homework - 20%
    Quizzes - 25%
    Tests - 30%
    Classwork - 25%

I am going to do more small "classwork" assignments next year, since I barely do any classwork assignments. But adding more emphasis to homework. When my tests were 40%, one test would drag everyone down if done poorly (I do give minimum F's). It makes it seem like a college course, which I think is great, but many kids don't really realize how much the tests affect their grade until its too late, then I have to deal with parents asking if they can retake/correct tests which puts even more work on me.

What are your grading percentages? Any tips or advice? I teach 6th math, so they are still getting out of that elementary stage.

3. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

May 7, 2016

I do points, not percentages. Tests are worth the most points. Approximate points:

Tests - 100 points each.
    Homework - 25 points each.
    Classwork - 25 points per activity.
    Quizzes - 25 points each.

4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

May 7, 2016

I grade tests 40%, quizzes 30%, classwork/participation 15% and homework 15%

I rarely grade homework because I never know if the student has completed the work independently. I get many assignments turned in with the parent's handwriting.

My students average a quiz each week and a test every two weeks in most of their subjects. All of their subjects have an activity workbook that I count as classwork. We use a Christian curriculum and there are more than enough opportunities for grades. We won't even use all of the workbook pages by the end of the year.

5. jadorelafrance

jadorelafrance Cohort

May 7, 2016

Homework: 10%
    Classwork: 20%
    Quizzes: 30%
    Tests/Projects: 40%

I try and have between 3-4 assignments in each category, except for tests. I have one test and one project for each marking period.

6. shoreline02

shoreline02 Cohort

May 7, 2016

Our grading percentages are set by the district and are as follows for 4th grade: Assessments 50%, Classwork 35%, and Homework is 15%.

We are required to submit two grades per subject each week and the program we use automatically figures out student grades using these percentages.

7. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

May 7, 2016

For me: Tests are 45%, Labs/Projects are 35%, Homework is 15%, and Participation/Organization is 5%. I allow test corrections (with reduced value) and submission of late projects/lab with reduced grades.

We don't have requirements for how many things we put in the grade, but more is generally seen as better, but I generally have less assignments in the grade than my colleagues. I have students self-grade their homework for the most part.

8. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

May 7, 2016

Tests are 60% and daily work is 40%. It's school policy so I can't change it.

9. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

May 7, 2016

Ours is set by district: 10% homework, 20% classwork, 15% quizzes, 30% tests, 10% Alternative Assessment, 15% final exam

10. MLB711

MLB711 Comrade

May 8, 2016

I use points too and I teach 6th Social Studies. Homework assignments are 10 each, quizzes vary from 15-35 points, and tests/projects are 100 or 105 points. Usually there are enough homeworks and quizzes to roughly equal a test for each unit so doing well on hw and quizzes can offset low test grades. I only grade homework on completion; students self-check their homework.

I think that adding more graded class work is a great idea for math. You could also split up your units into smaller chunks to get more test grades in. Like you can do a test on area and perimeter only using whole numbers, then next week do another area and perimeter test with fractions and decimals. That way you can get more test grades in a marking period. Granted that reduces your number of quiz grades, but it's worth thinking about, especially for 6th grade.

11. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

May 8, 2016

I'm actually surprised that so many people go by percentages. I would have thought more would use points.

12. jadorelafrance

jadorelafrance Cohort

May 8, 2016

It's school policy to do percentages because a lot of teachers didn't do points correctly...

otterpop likes this.
  13. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

May 8, 2016

Probably way different due to grade level, but ours is based solely on the 4 / 3 / 2 / 1 scale, and is done using a mixture of trend grading after those scores are entered, overall average, and teacher judgement to determine the report card grade.

MrsC and otterpop like this.
  14. CharRMS

CharRMS Companion

May 8, 2016

This is also my first year teaching, and I too have noticed grading percentages I would like to change for next year. I use the following percentages.

Tests = 40%
    Projects (I usually count final essays as projects) = 30%
    Quizzes = 20%
    Homework/Classwork/Participation = 10%

15. CatfaceMeowmers

CatfaceMeowmers Companion

May 11, 2016

Thanks everyone for your input! I still need to work with my team to see if we can use the same one next year. I am with veteran teachers so I don't think they'll move much, but why change something that's been working for years? I think since it was my first year, I was a bit overwhelmed by what all I had to grade/do. I think next year, I may stick with the same percentages and add more classwork/quiz grades :)
    Also, we have to use percentages because on our grade book, grades are weighed based on percentages we put in at the beginning of the year.

16. Letsgo

Letsgo Rookie

May 11, 2016

50% tests, 20% homework, 20% quizzes, 10% performance. Department policy.