What are your favorite Vacation spots?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by LilyGirl01, Apr 2, 2012.

1. LilyGirl01

LilyGirl01 Rookie

Apr 2, 2012

Summer Vacation is right around the corner everyone!:cool: What are your favorite vacay spots? Mine are Dominican Republic( Going this year!) Hawaii, and Disney World( Going here too!)

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Apr 2, 2012

I LOVED London!

4. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Apr 2, 2012

I love love love Galveston! It's not the prettiest beach in that it doesn't have white sands and crystal clear blue water, but it's fun, friendly and cheap! Plus, it has such a great history. :)

5. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Apr 2, 2012

Well I live in Costa Rica, where most people go for vacation;)

So honestly, I love going back home to the States. Going in May for my mom's wedding. Can hardly wait!!

6. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Apr 2, 2012

Disney World, France, and Italy! Venice is just amazing; it's my absolute favorite.

7. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 2, 2012

Almost every place I've been, I'd go to again:

Hawaii
    NY
    Arizona
    Florida
    Georgia
    Vegas
    Bahamas
    San Fransisco & certain other CA cities
    Utah (maybe)
    Mexican Riviera (probably not)
    I was supposed to go to London & Paris this summer, but it's not happening. :(:mad:

8. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Apr 2, 2012

The Pickerell River in Ontario, Canada!!!!!!!!!

9. Speechy

Speechy Comrade

Apr 2, 2012

Disneyland Paris, Copenhagen, St. Petersburg.

Any place in southern Italy is lovely. Not exactly tourist-y, but I love to visit little towns there and shop. Very easy to find locals to stay with as well! (especially if you have a partner with you)

10. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Apr 2, 2012

I haven't much traveled...

I can tell you the last place I would want to go and that is Vegas.

I think Coopertown is charming but it's not really somewhere I just can't wait to visit again. I am more of a little quiet-time-tucked-in-the-woods-somewhere type.

11. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Apr 2, 2012

Copenhagen is my favorite city. I also loved Normandy on the coast of France and my favorite small city was Bremen Germany.
    On the other hand, I am looking forward to a week this summer on the Outer Banks.

12. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Apr 2, 2012

I am a theme park aficionado and I live just outside Orlando, so I spend lots of time at the theme parks. Feels like a vacation all year! I would love to take an Alaskan cruise sometime.

13. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Apr 2, 2012

Not a "theme park", but I do love Cedar Point. That's a vacation I'll always go for. :)

14. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 3, 2012

Because the OP doens't know me yet, I'll state the obvious: I'm a big Disney World fan.

Other vacation locations I've enjoyed include Bermuda, Lake George in upstate NY, London, Chicago and New Orleans. And, even though we live 20 minutes from the beach, the coast of Maine is gorgeous!!!

15. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Apr 3, 2012

I have loved London and Paris. I can't wait to go to Disney this year. And I also love San Francisco. And of course I love my Delaware beaches. Just wish I was still under an hour away from them...

16. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Apr 3, 2012

This summer I am going to New York City for the first time, and I'm really excited!!

Last summer I went to Minneapolis, MN and had a great time.

France is also lovely in the summer.

17. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Apr 3, 2012

My parents live in a sort of 'cabin' in the woods on a pond in central WI--it feels like a wonderfully relaxing vacation spot, there's a little 'guest house,' and it's free to visit with meals included! ;)

18. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Apr 3, 2012

I love road trips and travel a lot. My favorite beach is Oceanside and Carlsbad California. I also love Northern Ca around Eureka and Arcadia. Love the Redwoods. I like Utah's canyons, South Dakota's Badlands, and riverrafting in Moab, Utah. I love the history of Mississippi and Louisianna. I like to drive on the Natchez Trace Parkway. Love New Orleans, the Gulf Coast, and Disneyland. Yes, its a major decision in our little family on where to vacation every summer. We're still in negotiations.

19. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Apr 3, 2012

Love me some Cedar Point! Went last summer with my boyfriend. I thought he was going to pass out he had so much fun. Before going to CP, the biggest.. umm... *rides* he had been on were like the Pirate Ship and other fair rides. Topthrill blew his mind away. :lol:

20. LilyGirl01

LilyGirl01 Rookie

Apr 3, 2012

Where do you usually stay in DW? We usually stay at the Polynesian, and we love it, but we might try a split stay of AKL and Wilderness Lodge.

21. LilyGirl01

LilyGirl01 Rookie

Apr 3, 2012

Oh, and I can't wait to go to London... I hear it's stunning.

22. Speechy

Speechy Comrade

Apr 3, 2012

I wouldn't say stunning. Whenever I go it's always pretty dreary looking. Though I do love the people and atmosphere.

Now I am itching to go on vacation again!

23. smalltowngal

Apr 3, 2012

Lily~I would move to England in a heartbeat! I really think I was born on the wrong continent.

24. bison

bison Habitué

Apr 5, 2012

San Francisco, Paris, and Italy (all over!) have been my favorite places that I enjoy returning to and I'll never get sick of. My real favorite is going to new places. I can think of very few that I wouldn't want to go to, and it would only be due to safety. I think pretty much everywhere is fun and exciting to visit!

25. GoehringTeaches

GoehringTeaches Comrade

Apr 5, 2012

Well, since I currently live in Italy, I guess I'd have to say that Italy is my favorite vacation spot! We are not far from Venice. Venice is a day trip or a place to go grab lunch for a few hours. Our current vacation schedule looks like this: Next week- Ibiza, Spain. May- London, England June- Salzburg, Austria. I won't know my favorite spot until I've visited as much as I can overseas. Stateside we lived near Savannah, GA and that was just beautiful. (HOT during the summer but very nice)

26. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 5, 2012

We've stayed at the Poly the last 2 times-- we're a family of 5, so our options are a little more limited than if we were just 4.

This time we're staying at the Beach Club, and can't wait. My daughter is drooling at the thought of Stormalong Bay!

27. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 5, 2012

The sense of history in London is breathtaking. It's palpable in a way that's hard to find in the US.

If you do go, make sure you make plans to see the Ceremony of the Keys at the Tower of London. It takes place each evening as they lock up the Tower for the night. It's complete with ghost stories, and the story of the one time they ever closed up the tower late-- during the Blitz. It's an amazing experience!!! Tickets are free, but MUST be ordered in advance.

London is one of the friendliest cities I've ever visited. (A lot like both New Orleans and Chicago in that respect.) Both times I've visited I've had marvelous times chatting with the locals, and it added so much to each of those trips!! I would go back in a heartbeat, and hope to bring the kids to see it some day.

I had a very different experience in Paris. (Though to be fair,that time I was chaperoning a group of 50 US teens.) I found the people in Paris to be unsufferably rude, though the city itself is gorgeous.

28. ally06

ally06 Companion

Apr 5, 2012

So many places but some of my favourites would be Prince Edward Island, London, Canadian rockies and Rome. Plus the Disney World and Disneyland parks are greatfun.

London is a fabulous city, so full of history and endless things to do and see. It's my favourite city just to walk around just enjoy.

29. smalltowngal

Apr 5, 2012

Jealous!

30. bison

bison Habitué

Apr 5, 2012

I've never found Parisians to be rude as long as you're willing to respect their language and culture. At least by asking them if they speak English in French. In fact, I've only had the opposite experience so I never understood the stereotype. I think 50 teens are enough to scare off most people! :lol:

31. smalltowngal

Apr 5, 2012

When we visited Paris, I was very apprehensive about Parisians because I've heard that they were rude, but they were very accommodating and we enjoyed our time there.

32. Speechy

Speechy Comrade

Apr 5, 2012

Haha, I'm french myself, so I had to laugh at this. I even go out of my way when I am back home to be nicer whenever I see tourists.

I think the "rude" thing comes up because we don't smile as much or go out of our way to be nice or polite. But other parts of France are quite friendly. Going north-west to somewhere like Rennes you will meet plenty of friendly citizens.

Actually, I had the opposite problem when I came here to the states. Everyone was so nice, overly smiling, and accommodating. I kept thinking, "Okay... what are these people up to?"

I might point out to those who are unaware, that parisians are quite different from other people of france and they don't mean to appear unkind; most of us are just unapologetic and just have a different way of operating. You must understand that Paris is a very tourist-y city, and it has erupted in the past years. Many are just annoyed with the flooding of tourists and how crowded it has become.Also, manners are much different there. Just like anywhere else, there are rules and codes. If you don't understand the culture, many will view your behavior as rude or offensive.

After moving to America, then back to Paris, my parents have changed their attitudes about visitors. They now understand that people from the states have certain expectations about hospitality and they try to respect that as much as possible so vacationers can enjoy their visit.

I read an article once that describes it best; There, the most mundane encounters unfold according to a carefully choreographed dance of phrases, gestures and expressions. When you walk into a shop, there's something you say. When you leave a shop, there's something you say. Your behavior in that shop, from beginning to end, is hemmed in by invisible boundaries, any one of which you could stumble across at any moment.

But please don't let parisians leave a bad taste in your mouth! :) It's a completely separate culture from all of France and most of the misconceptions are just from cultural differences.

33. vivalavida

vivalavida Companion

Apr 7, 2012

Despite having traveled to various places in Europe (England, Italy and Spain), one of my absolute favorite vacation spots is Lake Tahoe, CA. It's beautiful and a great mix between relaxation and "outdoorsy" activities! Love it!

34. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Apr 7, 2012

My favorite place to vacation is NE PA and NYC- where I spent my summers with my relatives :)

Norway was gorgeous! I'd love to go back.

This summer is a cabin near the Cherokee National Forest. Lots of hiking and fishing :)

35. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 7, 2012

For what it's worth, my trip to Paris was in the late 80's. We did a week in London, and loved it, then went on to Paris.

And, while those 50 teenage girls may have been intimidating, the people of London welcomed us.

I've done enough traveling to be sensitive to the cultural differences between people. Still, Paris left me with a bad taste. Nothing major--- and I met one fabulous cabbie-- but still a bad taste. I had a bit of time on my own, wandering around without those 50 kids, but the impression didn't change.

And I'm not exactly a stranger to big cities and tourists myself.

That said, it was a long time ago. I have no idea what was in the headlines at that time; perhaps the economy had taken a hit or there was something else going on, I don't know. But of all the places I've visited (and there have been a lot!) it's the only one that ever gave me that feeling.

A few years after we got married (before the kids) I brought Peter to London. It was wonderful returning to one of my favorite cities, and he now loves it as I do.

At some point, perhaps I'll return to Paris. We'll see.

36. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Apr 7, 2012

Colorado during the summer Camping, fresh air, good fishing, Starry Nights .....
    "Now, he walks in quiet solitude
    The forests and the streams
    Seeking grace in every step he takes"

Rocky Mountain High

37. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Apr 9, 2012

Does anyone know if Universal Studios allows you to use a payment plan for booking trips/packages. I know Disney does but couldn't find anything about Universal unless it was an annual pass and I certainly don't need that.