What are your favorite centers???

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by Sweet2Teach, Jul 18, 2007.

1. Sweet2Teach

Sweet2Teach Rookie

Jul 18, 2007

Just wondering what some of your favorite center activities are???
    :)

1. I love running off writing papers to create class books. I have some prompt books from the $1 store (Ex. What if your teacher was a.... or What if it rained....) We create a word bank and the kids complete the sentence and draw a story to match their choices. When I have a sheet from each kid I laminate the pages and create a book!

2. I also love anything science! Last year I did not teach my class science (they had one teacher who taught k-5 science), but this year I get the chance!

3. devama

devama Companion

Jul 18, 2007

i am very excited about making a science center but i need more ideas of activites/materials. i will probably "open" the science center later in the school year. obviously i will have plants, the fish tank, and lots of nature items with magnifying glasses and paper for notes. but at each center i'd like to show them a new material/item/activity once a week to keep things fresh and also give them ideas of HOW to use the materials properly. suggestions?

4. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jul 18, 2007

Define science and you will define your activities. Cooking is a great science activity.

5. Sweet2Teach

Sweet2Teach Rookie

Jul 18, 2007

I like the idea of paper and magnifying glasses at the fish tank! In all of my Bach. classes my teachers always stressed that simple everyday items are great for exploration. Think about how often you have stopped and really investigated a rock:D So in your centers, and mine as well, everyday objects that are FREE might be great! The items can even coinside with the topic of your lessons or theme: leaves, dirt, worms, pine cones, flowers, sticks...

6. Mrs.Mom

Mrs.Mom Companion

Jul 18, 2007

I love the idea of a prompt book. Could you tell me more about this, where you found them, title, author, etc?? I would love to use the prompts for journaling in the morning. Lots of times we turn our journal entry into a class book, and they love to pull these off the shelves!!

7. Miss_J

Miss_J Habitué

Jul 18, 2007

The kids loved locating pictures from magazines to match two letters on a t-chart and using stamps to create patterns.

8. MrsMikesell

MrsMikesell Cohort

Jul 19, 2007

I adore my music listening center.

I have tons of music and the lyrics typed up in a center. The kids LOVE it and it is great for building rhyming, patterns, poems and more!

Kelly :)

9. Sweet2Teach

Sweet2Teach Rookie

Jul 19, 2007

Music sounds fun! Is this for a Kindergarten class? Do they actually read the lyrics or follow along?? Sounds fun:D

10. hp123

hp123 Comrade

Jul 19, 2007

How do centers work? I'm a montessori teacher, and could someone explain the concept?

11. Sweet2Teach

Sweet2Teach Rookie

Jul 19, 2007

I use centers to help students develop different concepts that we are working on. So we have read a louds, demonstrations, discussions, and direct instruction throughout the day. Then at the end of the day (when the kids need a break:eek: because they are in ALL DAY kindergarten), I set up different centers to reinforce the concepts. I usually have a writing center (kids create their own story and drawing with a prompt), math center, science center, social studies center, building center (blocks...), and reading center. This is my use of centers, hope it makes sense:D

12. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jul 19, 2007

hp123, An interest center is just a themed area of play. For instance, the Housekeeping Area is a center. Centers vary depending upon the interests of the children and agency. I have a wonderful workshop area that has machines to take apart. I have to scour the town for old machines, as the kids love this area. Whatever they take apart they get to take home. The parents are highly amused over the bits and pieces of junk that the kids love.

I have a modified carpentry area that uses styrofoam instead of wood, and golf tees instead of nails.

13. MrsMikesell

MrsMikesell Cohort

Jul 20, 2007

Yup. Kindergarten.

I start the first week. This is my first center to introduce. I love it. :)

Kelly

14. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

15. tarheelsak

tarheelsak Companion

Jul 21, 2007

This past year, my favorite center-and the favorite of my kids- was the writing center. The group I just had loved to see how to draw pictures. I have picture dictionaries I bought from scholastic- insects, dinos, pets, etc. I also put in books that my daughter had outgrown- how to draw books- cars, dinos, animals, spongebob, etc. I had markers, colored pencils, crayons, rulers, paper scissors, and glue. I also had extra classwork papers that were left over from classwork. When the kids would make something they wanted everyone to see, they would hang it up on a cabinet I had designated as our Artist's Corner. When the space was full, we would clean it off and then they would hang up more of their masterpieces! This is the first group that wanted to be in the writing center every day! :angel: