What are your favorite books to read with students in grade 6-8?

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by cml88, Feb 11, 2012.

1. cml88

cml88 Companion

Feb 11, 2012

I just finished my master's program and I am currently teaching pre-K. However I am always looking for new positions in grades 1-7. I want to start familiarizing myself with adolescent literature. I am very family with tonnns of picture books, but I realize I am barely familar with any good reads for students in grades 6-8. Please recommend some for me!

You can let me know your fav books that you read aloud with your students...or maybe some favorite personal picks in your classroom during independent reading! Anything is appreciated...I just want to start reading so I am more familiar with their literature if ever work with that grade level.

3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Feb 11, 2012

I always read Walk Two Moons and The Outsiders. Sometimes I'll read Freak the Mighty. I also like Speak, but only with 8th grade girls. There is one called Twisted that I like with 8th grade boys. The 7th grade science classes like City of Ember and tie it with the science curriculum. I've read Hatchet with 7th grade, but it's with 6th grade now. The 6th grade also reads Touching Spirit Bear. I've read Tangerinea few times, and the kids never like it in the least. I'm reading After Ever After with one group now. They like it OK. I'm currently reading Eli the Good, but I'm not finished with it just yet. It was recommended by another teacher.

4. LouiseB

LouiseB Cohort

Feb 11, 2012

I wish that I had more time to spend reading to the students (MS). I think it is so valuable!

5. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Feb 11, 2012

Certainly browse ALA's website for their various "best of" lists. I love those! :)

Currently hugely popular with my students: The Hunger Games series, Diary of a Wimpy Kid series, Twilight series, Tales from a Not So Fabulous series, 39 Clues series...pretty much any series. Leviathan seems have made the rounds as well.

I read mostly youth/young adult literature and love recommending good reads to my students. I let a student borrow If I Stay earlier this week...I didn't absolutely fall in love, but I knew some students who would like it.

I love teaching The Giver, but I haven't done so for the past few years because I knew I had far too many students who wouldn't fully grasp the novel.

6. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Feb 11, 2012

Another grade "claimed" The Outsiders, but I have taught that two years and really, really enjoyed doing so! Freak the Mighty...love teaching that one as well.

7. comaba

comaba Cohort

Feb 11, 2012

For quick reads, my students and I love Chris Van Allsburg.

8. hernandoreading

hernandoreading Comrade

Feb 11, 2012

My students love anything by Neal Shusterman, especially Dread Locks, which ties in well with our mythology & fairy tales units. Also Neil Gaiman (I guess I have a thing for Neal/Neils LOL)

With my sixth graders, I do an author study with Jerry Spinelli's novels.

Seventh grade: The Hobbit, Dread Locks

Eighth grade: Fellowship of the Ring, Nothing But The Truth

9. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

Feb 11, 2012

My students have been enthralled by The Hunger Games. They beg me to take home the book to read after school (one student even tried sneaking it out without me knowing!). Many of them have asked for the book for their birthday from their parents. They constantly ask me, "are we reading the book today?" and if someone interrupts our read aloud time...they can become a very irritated group of 8th graders!

I have never seen so much participation, comprehension or connections spawned by one novel. The kids are discussing, predicting...doing all of that stuff that you know they should be doing, they do with this book just naturally. My principal is so pleased with this novel, he has metioned making it grade wide required reading. I highly recommend it!

10. cml88

cml88 Companion

Feb 11, 2012

Thanks BumbleB im definitely going to have to get that book and start reading asap!! keep the ideas coming guys! i'm loving your suggestions and can't wait to get started on all of them!