What Are your Consequences?

Discussion in 'Behavior Management Archives' started by Terrence, Aug 9, 2006.

1. Terrence

Terrence Comrade

Aug 9, 2006

Just wondering what everyone's list of consequences for bad behavior was. I need some ideas. Personally, In Jr. High, I think they should only have three strikes and they're out (after verbal warning)

Step 1: verbal warning
    Step 2: 5 mins lunch detention
    step 3: 10 mins lunch detention and a phone call home
    step 4: office referral

3. Bluetiger

Bluetiger New Member

Aug 10, 2006

Consequences? positive and negative

The consequences that you have listed are pretty similar to those i use in my class. However, i also include rewards or positive consequences as well. This way students realise that behaving properly is beneficial. Always using negative reinforcement can sap motivation.

4. Jaicie

Jaicie Rookie

Aug 12, 2006

I started using Love and Logic with my 1st and 2nd graders this past school year, so each problem is handled independently, depending on the unique student and unique situation. Instead of showing anger or frustration, I'm sad when students make a poor choice. I often delay consequences. I might say sadly and quietly, "Uh-oh, Frankie, I'm going to have to do something about that. I'm teaching now, so you and I will have to talk later. Try not to worry about it." Then I continue teaching and handle that problem later. Generally, students apologize and come up with an appropriate, logical consequence with my guidance. The consequence has to be acceptable to me. My kiddoes made a lot of progress last year in developing problem-solving skills and appropriate behavior, which was great.
    ~Jaicie :)

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 12, 2006

1st offense: verbal warning
    2nd offense: move student
    3rd offense: recess detention
    4th offense: referral to office and phone call home

This is what I will use with my grade 4-8 Special Ed class this year.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2006
  6. Mrs. Mom

Mrs. Mom Cohort

Aug 12, 2006

Here is what I WANT to try, but haven't got all the details worked out with the administration yet.
    1st: verbal
    2nd: processing (removal from situation, fill out action plan)
    3rd: lunch detention (NOT recess loss)
    4th: after school detention
    5th:"Friday school"(2 hours after school on Friday)
    6th: referral to office

PLEASE GIVE ME SOME INPUT! This is much different than what I normally do, but the class I am getting has had lots of difficulties, and regular discipline consequences haven't been very successful. I am trying to NOT take away recess (the little buggers need it! HA) and I attended a workshop that said the only way to change these behaviors is to have a set of consequences that get much worse as you move through them. Think it will work???

7. cmorris

cmorris Comrade

Aug 12, 2006

Mrs. Mom, how would you ensure the students stayed for after-school detention or Friday School? Do they then go straight to the office referral? What about if it is the parents' fault--not the child's--they couldn't stay? Also, does your principal support that? Mine wouldn't, so that is why I am asking.

8. Mrs. Mom

Mrs. Mom Cohort

Aug 12, 2006

Well, we used to hold after school detention only one time per week, but I learned at this workshop that this is an ineffective method of detention; kids need immediate consequences. Therefore, my plan is to just schedule detention for the following day....not the very same day. Hopefully that is immediate enough. I'm pretty sure the principal is going to support me...her child is in my class, and she is well aware of the behavior problems in the class.

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 13, 2006

I know that in my school after-school detentions rarely "fly". Many of our students take the school bus, and parents (legitimately) have no way to pick up their children so we have tried to steer in other directions.

By the way...who gets to supervise that 2 hour after school session on Fridays? Generally, if we hand out detentions (as opposed to office referrals) we are supervising them.

10. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Aug 13, 2006

Positive consequenes:
    *scoop of popcorn for the jar, leading to a popcorn "party" -- whole class
    *trips to the treasure box which will include small trinkets, candy and stickers.
    *eating in the class with me. I'll take a small group and eat with them

Negative con.
    *1st offense = warning
    2nd offense = move clip to yellow
    3rd offense = move clip to red--5 minutes recess lost
    4th offense = move clip to black --whole recess lost, parent contact and referal to office/councelor for a chat

11. pfnw

pfnw Rookie

Aug 14, 2006

I do a modified Love and Logic approach in my classroom. Each infraction is handled differently. It keeps my 6th graders from deciding if its worth getting in trouble, which is what happens when you have a rigid set of consequences. (each situation is unique and this allows me the freedom to correct their behavior in many different ways)

12. Mrs. Mom

Mrs. Mom Cohort

Aug 14, 2006

Well, I am one of the detention teachers (volunteers) so it would be me! HOWEVER, I spoke to my principal today, and we are going to drop the 2 hours after school, (not good to be alone with students, and what other teachers will be there at 5?? HA) After a regular detention, they are referred to the principal for in school suspension, and after 3 of those, the student is suspended. Hopefully this works, it sounds good now!

13. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Aug 16, 2006

Some schools don't even do after school detention...or lunch detentions. The one I will be in only does recess time. Is there another way?

14. all_ladybug

all_ladybug New Member

Aug 17, 2006

What do you do...

What do you do when you CAN'T take recess away? Due to our new Wellness Plan, this is out of the question! I teach 1st, so it's not so bad, but look out for our 5-8th graders!!!

15. Ann2006

Ann2006 Cohort

Aug 17, 2006

I looked at a terrific site given by a poster here. It has forms you can print that deal with behavior, parent log, etc....it's very easy to navigate and student friendly. These are the forms I duplicated and will use for my behavior plan.

http://www.teachertools.org/forms_dynam.asp

16. synapse

synapse Comrade

Aug 18, 2006

How do you define "bad behavior?" What behavior do you expect? Who is behaving badly (according to your definitions above)? How frequently is the "bad" behavior occuring? When does it occur? How intense is the behavior? How does the behavior make you feel? How do you behave in the face of student misbehavior?

Thinking about these questions and providing more detail will allow us to respond more specifically. Clearly, this is bothering you enough to post here, so the issue is probably significant. I would suggest that simply designing a list of rules and consequences will not be enough to make lasting changes. With more info we might be able to help you think deeply about the root causes of the misbehavior and what you can do to help your students behave differently.

17. thekingster

thekingster Rookie

Aug 24, 2006

Love and Logic?

Yeah, I'm clueless here. What is this approach? Is it just for little ones?

Kingster

18. synapse

synapse Comrade

19. Jaicie

Jaicie Rookie

Aug 24, 2006

Love and Logic is a philosophy for teaching and parenting, rather than a program or system. Teaching With Love and Logic is a great book by Jim Fay and Foster Cline. There are several other Love and Logic books, too, focusing on teens, toddlers, and more. I have four different sets of L & L tapes that I like to listen to on the way to and from work. Another good website is

loveandlogicforum.com

Hope this helps!

~ Jaicie :)

20. hernandoreading

hernandoreading Comrade

Aug 24, 2006

Here are mine for 7th grade reading:
    1st: verbal warning
    2nd: Note home in planner
    3rd: Phone call to parent & lunch detention
    4th: Administrative write-up

21. LeoChick

LeoChick Rookie

Aug 24, 2006

1st: warning
    2nd: change seat/confer w/ teacher (next year i'll be eliminating this one!)
    3rd: writing assignment (w/ parent signature) and/or detention
    4th: double writing assignment (w/ parent signature) and/or detention and phone call to parent
    5th: referral to admin

22. synapse

synapse Comrade

Aug 25, 2006

...curious about the writing assignment. You may want to reconsider using writing as a consequence. I always recommend avoiding the use of academic work as a "punishment." This puts students in the position of associating writing with a negative consequence. I think you would agree that you want students to value, and maybe even enjoy writing.

23. thekingster

thekingster Rookie

Aug 25, 2006

Synapse,
    You know I never thought about it that way...

But - I do remember how effective it was (for me) when I had to write 500 sentences saying I wouldn't throw paper in class. Maybe we should bring something like that back?

Just thinking virtually,
    Steven King
    aka The Kingster

24. synapse

synapse Comrade

Aug 25, 2006

I would absolutely disagree with that practice. For the problem you mentioned I would employ a "logical" consequence. So, for the student who persistently throws paper in class

1st time...pick up the paper
    2nd time...clean up the room
    3rd time...meet my friend Bill the custodian, you and he are going to clean all the classrooms on the hall this afternoon

25. TexasAggie2323

TexasAggie2323 Comrade

Aug 25, 2006

1: Warning (Everyone makes mistakes)
    2: Phone call to parents (If student won't stop the parent will make them)
    3: 3 Hour D:Hall (Parent didn't work time for action)
    4 Principals Office. (Have a real problem let's let the Principal give it a try)

I have never sent a student to the principals office...of course I have only been a real teacher for 2 weeks and my student teaching experience was only 3 months.

26. LeoChick

LeoChick Rookie

Aug 26, 2006

for MY CLASSS it's not academic work...what i used is something entitled "the motivator"...it's basically a paper about how students are expected to behave and what they are responsible for in my class...it also tells how their behavior is affecting other students and the learning environment...depending on the "offense" i have the student copy it a certain number of times and they have to bring it back signed by a parent...there's also a check off list on the back that describes each violation...most of the teachers in my school use it and it's really effective...all the kids know what "the motivator" is...lol

i DO however disagree w/ a paper or academic work as a use of punishment...

27. Ann2006

Ann2006 Cohort

Aug 26, 2006

I plan to use something similar to The Motivator this year with my middle schoolers. I even have a discipline essay for them to expand on the behavior journal entry they do in class when misbehaving. I am avoiding sending them to the AP unless they break the district's discipline code..which are pretty serious offenses.

If anyone is interested, here's a link to some printable behavior forms. They also have academic forms and lesson planning forms.

http://www.teachertools.org/forms_dynam.asp

Give it a minute to load the page...it's a little slow to open on my end so it may be for you too.

28. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Aug 26, 2006

I remember in 4th grade, my teacher's most deterring punishment was dictionary work... she had us copy the definition of "run" or "be" out of her big, scary, unabridged dictionary. Those definitions were several pages long, so they were a pretty hefty deterrent for 4th graders!

29. synapse

synapse Comrade

Aug 26, 2006

I hear you...still what do students learn about their behavior by simply copying meaningless words (dictionary or "the motivator")...vs. what do they take away about the writing process when forced into such an exercise. For me it is just not worth the potential damage. I will stand by "logical" consequences.

30. Mrs. Mom

Mrs. Mom Cohort

Aug 27, 2006

I hear you on the logical consequences. So, what is a logical consequence for making spitting noises and using your desk as a drum, or slamming books down, which keeps me from teaching and everyone else from paying attention? Just curious!

31. thekingster

thekingster Rookie

Aug 27, 2006

I don't know how I feel about this...

"If" we are to move students toward intrinsic motivation for education (sense of academic accomplishment (eventually) vs. piece-of-candy-for-right-answer), then I could argue that copying mathematical formulas (in my math classes...) could promote learning via repetition.

Of course, I wouldn't employ this for an agreeably minor offense. We all, however, have those students who have PhD's in maninupulation - that ever so gingerly skirt the edges of "this-gets-you-a-trip-to-the-AP" violations.

For them (and from my observation...usually the higher functioning) - this approach *might* work.

Steven King
    The Kingster