What are your consequences?

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by VANewbie, Jul 23, 2010.

1. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 23, 2010

I do not do the red light green light move a card thing. I mainly focus on positive stuff like whole class can gain marbles, groups can earn stuff and then individual students.

I never really had behavior problems but there were times when I did.
    What are your consequences? We are not allowed to take recess. And if I had students eat with me in the classroom it was a hassle on my end. It took away from my planning time.

What type of stuff do you do?

3. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 23, 2010

Mine had to sign a "sad pad". If it were bad enough (only happened a few times) they would sit at a table by themselves for lunch. But that was usually if they did something to hurt another person - didn't happen but a few tiems.

4. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 23, 2010

Thats a great idea. Only problem is we don't have separate tables like that in our cafeteria.

5. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 23, 2010

I had found with K that the kids really do receive a consequence with signing the sad pad (not to mention practice writing their name:p). I have had several parents comment about once when their child signed the sad pad they came home and was upset about it. I think this does more to teach the child than me signing their folder for mom and dad to see. It hits home. And they will tell, it is sad:( to sign the sad pad.

Also with the sad pad, when its over - its over. They know they are expected to return to their work and follow expectations. It doesn't loom over their head all day. They are 5 and will make mistakes. The sad pad is a reminder that I just made a mistake.

6. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 23, 2010

Do you think this would work for first grade?

What does the sad pad look like?

I really may try this.

7. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 23, 2010

Yes I also used this when I taught first grade. It doesn't make the same impact as it does with K, but it does work.
    So you teach 1st and can't take recess? That is crazy.

I make the sad pad very boring - just a blank spiral with the date at the top. This is also GREAT documentation. You have doc. of every single day who signed it. By a month or so in first I would have the kids write WHY they signed the sad pad and what they are going to do now.

I also make sure I have free time every once in a while (never let them know) and if you happen to sign the sad pad you must do....... could be put head down, etc.

8. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 23, 2010

Perfect! Okay this is something I am going to do! Don't think I will bring it out too early because I don't want them to get toward the middle of the year and think oh whatever its nothing.

Any other ideas?

Sad Pad
    Put head down during free time

9. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 23, 2010

I'm a firm believer in consequences fitting the crime-so it completely depends on what the infraction is. I don't believe in taking away recess for that reason-unless they are misbehaving at recess.

If they can't keep their hands to themselves, then they sit alone. If they are not treating materials properly, then they lose the privilege of working with them. If they can't walk quietly in the hallway, then they can walk up and down the hallway to practice while the class waits. I'll send a note home if after warnings they are still not listening, but I only had to do that twice last year.

10. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 23, 2010

Yes kinder I forgot all about logical consequences.

11. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Jul 23, 2010

I often ask the child to think what their consequence should be, and then we meet again to discuss it when I have time (usually 20 or 30 minutes later).

That is almost the worst part from their point of view!

I try to take what they come up with, but often have to make it less harsh (because they sometimes come up with things like lose free time for a month :) )

Things I've done are: write a letter to parents, write a letter apologizing to the teacher/student/etc that was involved, lose up to 5 minutes of recess, walk 2 extra laps at recess, etc.

12. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Jul 23, 2010

I try to do what Kinder does - logical consequences.

Oh -and eating lunch with me is strictly for reward and star student purposes only.

13. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 23, 2010

I try to do logical consequences. For those with too much energy, I have them walk laps at recess if it's not too hot (this IS Louisiana). My problem is that my kids are virtually ALL very urban, super low-income kiddos with little or no structure at home. Notes home or phone calls in many cases do no good. While I didn't have this last year, it is always possible, so I'm going to ask. What do you do when dropping the conduct grade, calling/writing home, sitting apart (won't sit down), not participating in fun things, etc., do not work? Some of our kiddos have little or no socialization. I would dearly love to read your views!

14. jteachette

jteachette Comrade

Jul 24, 2010

I use a technique from responsive classroom called take a break.
    I have a designated spot for the child to go to and sit when they have broken a rule. It's a bath mat on the floor. The first or second day of school, we all practice how to take a break.
    If the child has to take a second break during group period, they go to their desk. A third break means they go to the other first grade for their break. (We set up the buddy classroom for take a break before school starts.)
    After that, they have to stay in at recess, think about their behavior, and tell me what they are going to do to improve.
    We can have them walk the sidewalk at recess too, but I have found that just isn't as effective as talking to them about their behavior. If you can't take recess, can you find 5 minutes in the day, maybe during free reading to have them do this?
    I also use logical consequences.
    For example, if you poke someone with a pencil, I take your pencils, and you write with crayons today.
    If you color on your desk with markers, you lose your markerss, until I say you can have them.
    If you cut something other than your paper with scissors, you lose the right to use scissors for a while.
    I do have the advantage of having wonderful parental support from the parents in this school. If I tell a parent the child did something, and what their consequence was,there will be another consequence at home,or they will talk to their child, and the child's behavior improves.
    This is a low income school!

15. MrsHoot

MrsHoot Comrade

Jul 28, 2010

I really struggle with this area. The teacher who was in my room before me (and who is still on the team) used a stop light system. Honestly, I think logical consequences make the most sense, BUT I feel like on the spot, I can't always think of the logical consequence to fit the "crime". I also don't like taking away recess because I feel like the ones who have the most trouble are the ones who have the most trouble.

But on the other hand, I feel like I need something concrete for myself. Also- how do you explain logical consequences to parents?

16. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Jul 28, 2010

You said you can't think of a logical consequence on the spot. Neither can I! But I usually give the child a bit of time to think about what they can do to solve their problem. It also gives me a bit of time. I even have think paper where they can write down/draw what they did and what they will do from now on.

Maybe say something like:
    "Johnny, I have asked you several times not to talk during reading workshop. I noticed you are sitting next to Bobby again and you are great friends. I want you to think about what you can do so you won't be tempted to talk to Bobby and will be able to focus on becoming a better reader."

I agree - taking away recess is a no-no!

17. MrsHoot

MrsHoot Comrade

Jul 30, 2010

Thanks Lynnnn! It does make sense and if I remember correctly, that was what one of my co-op teachers did. It worked well for her because the kids would stew about it on their own terms, and she didn't have to do a whole lot. I think I will try that this year!

18. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jul 30, 2010

Quick question--I use a strike system, but would like the record that the "Sad Pad" provides. I have a sports theme in my room--any ideas on what to call it?

19. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 30, 2010

Strike Out?????

I don't know.lol

20. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Jul 30, 2010

the dug out/dugout/duggout. sorry - dont know how to spell it.