What are your consequences for no homework?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Arky, Jan 4, 2009.

1. Arky

Arky Comrade

Jan 4, 2009

What are your consequences for no homework?
    I teach 3rd grade and I am having trouble getting my children to turn it in.

Is the following to harsh?

NO HOMEWORK

NO RECESS
    MARK YOUR FOLDER
    0 FOR YOUR GRADE

3. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jan 4, 2009

That does sound sorta harsh and I teach 5th grade. Though we don't really have anything written down well, I do the following per week:
    1. First time: hand it in to me the next day
    2. Second time: stay in at recess to finish it
    3. Third time: stay in at recess and send an email home to the parents

Points are deducted from the assignment for being late. I never put a zero in for their work as long as they do the work~ I feel even if it's a month late, they deserve some credit. We don't give grades out in my grade level (crazy I know), so I use this system to input grades:
    Check plus: 10 out of 10
    Check: 8.5 out of 10
    Check minus: 7 out of 10
    Check imp (improvement): 5 out of 10

They come in from 4th grade being very babied from their teachers, so this often a harsh wake up call for them. We try to ease them into it and honestly most of our students do great. :)

4. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jan 4, 2009

One suggestion I have for you, if you're noticing alot of missing work (I do a modified version of this since I only teach science):

1. Make a document that lists all the subjects that you teach your students.
    2. Write down what assignments they worked on in class and for homework that week and mark it with a [Monday] etc for when the assignment was due.
    3. Sit down with the student and check off what assignments he/she turned in. Highlight what assignments are still due from the student. Make sure you have extra copies on hand~ if a child sees that list, they usually want to get working on the work missing.

You could do this as a daily activity for those who are really in need of the help. Just write it in with them and do the check off or highlight. But find a time when its just you and them being able to go over this. :)

5. glen

glen Companion

Jan 4, 2009

Our policy (7th and 8th grade) is a 30 minute after school detention for a missing HW. It may be turned in the next day for full credit (still owe a detention). After that, the teacher does not have to accept it. In the lower grades, (4th and up), the student can get a detention, but I'm not sure if it is assigned for first offense. Third grade gets a note home.

6. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jan 4, 2009

NO HOMEWORK

NO RECESS I kind of agree with this because they can work on their HW during recess time, on the other hand, you are taking away their chance to be active and get exercise and the only time they have to talk and goof off during the day.
    MARK YOUR FOLDER Parents should know that they didn't turn in their HW
    0 FOR YOUR GRADE I think they should have a chance to make this up, HW is probably not the bulk of your grade anyway, just a way to give additional practice and assess independent practice. So, what is the purpose if they can skip it and just take a 0 when a few 0s for HW probably won't really affect their grade?

7. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Jan 4, 2009

We have assignment books that the parents sign complete or incomplete each evening so they know even before the student gets to school that their homework was not done. Incomplete homework gets the student after school detention to complete the assignment, which takes priority over any after school activities or classes. Homework is only accepted on the day it is due, so when it is completed in detention it gets put in the teacher's mailbox that day. Turn it in the next day and it is a zero.

Most homework is incomplete because the kids have forgotten to take something home with them, so they know they can come to school early, get what they need, and complete the work before the first bell.

8. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jan 4, 2009

My students stay in at recess and do their homework if they did not bring it to school for whatever reason.

If a child is a chronic no-homework-returned student, I talk to them, their parents and record it for future reference in case it goes to the P.

I don't give marks because no recess is enough punishment. To give a mark would be like double jeopardy.

We aren't allowed to give a zero grade; 50 is the lowest mark we can give (not sure why). If the child does the homework during recess, why would you give them a zero anyway? This does seem harsh.

BTW, if the students get a zero anyway, why should they bother to do it? If that was the consequence I faced, I wouldn't bother.

9. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2009

I don't like punishing kids with grades - so if they stayed in and did the homework during recess, I would give them a grade for it. Other than that, it sounds right to me, but I teach high school... Pretty much what I do though - they can stay after school and make it up.

10. stevesgirl

stevesgirl Companion

Jan 4, 2009

Our policy is no homework, no recess. Since our report cards are standards based (no grades, just "exceeeds standard, meets standard, below standard", etc) we cannot punish with grades. The students make up the work at recess, so their work can be scored. They lose 3 points towards attending Fun Friday activities. Unfortunately we have the same kids in for recess detention every day.

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 4, 2009

I have kids sign my 'Missing HW' book. I refer to this at report card time...

You could have them miss centers or some other choice activity and spend time in the 'finishing' center to complete the missing work or have them do it at recess as suggested in previous posts here...I'd make a phone call home for 'repeat offenders'...

Have you ever seen 'Homeworkopoly'? It is an incentive 'game' for completing homework. Here's some links to it:

http://www.teachnet.com/homeworkopoly/
    http://www.msjensenclass.com/Teacher_Resources/homeworkopoly.htm
    http://www.mrsvandyke.com/homeworkopoly.htm
    http://www.myteacherpages.com/webpages/JGriffin/homeworkopoly.cfm

There are many many sites online explaining how to use it...I don't do HWopoly, but I know there are members here on the forums who like it...

12. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Jan 4, 2009

when my kids do not do their homework, i give them another day, and that is usually all it takes. Otherrwise, they either do it at recess or if we have a game or activity time, I have them do it then.

13. Arky

Arky Comrade

Jan 4, 2009

I did not make myself clear. Sorry about that.
    No homework, do it during recess.
    Mark your folder so parents know
    0 is if they do not turn it in after a few days and if I grade that one. I do not take a grade on all their homework.

The homework I give is 10 math problems. That's it. It is always review yet I have some that still will not turn it in after recess. I think part of the problem is that they just are not geared towards understanding grades yet or they just don't seem to care. I quit giving homework last year because it was such a problem.

14. Teacher_Lyn

Teacher_Lyn Companion

Jan 4, 2009

If a child isn't turning in homework, they simply get a zero. Than, at the end of the week, they get a call home to their parents letting them know

15. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jan 11, 2009

My students are expected to get their agenda signed, complete their book log, and complete 10 review problems and drill. If any of those are not completed, they get their name on the board/check for each one. So, for example, if a student doesn't have their agenda signed or their book log done, they get a name and a check. Plus, they're in at recess to complete their book log.

16. deb4kids

deb4kids Rookie

Jan 11, 2009

Fun Friday/Homework Detention

Our 4/5 team came up with Fun Fridays to encourage completed homework. Any missing assignments and the last hour of Friday is spent in class doing make-up work while all the other 4th & 5th grade students are doing fun activities (PE games, design activities, art, etc). We decided to do it during the school day because we couldn't get parent support for after school. It takes the whole team and support from the principal but what an improvement in students turning in their work!

In my class, I will accept work only 1 day late (and take 10% off). Students who didn't turn it in on the assigned due date, have to work on it at their recesses. I went with this policy because I know everyone can forget something at home or have something come up. However, I don't want to correct things days or weeks later. This just keeps things simple.

17. ELA 11 12

ELA 11 12 Companion

Jan 11, 2009

The students can make up missing work at no penalty. When they ask for extra credit to improve their grade, I print a grade report and tell them to take their pick(s).

Everything I do is on purpose and builds, so if a students skips something, they fall behind. Even though I teach ELA, I teach it like math.

Oh and I grade it when I grade it. There is no rush for the student...current assignments always have priority. Make-ups or re-dos are always at the bottom of the pile...

By the end of second quarter, students rarely miss a homework assignment. Instead they come in to make up low scores. By the 4th quarter, the overwhelming majority (*save for maybe 2-3) are on task and finding success and are highly motivated.

18. jwilliamson

jwilliamson Companion

Jan 11, 2009

I have one student this year who is constantly not turning her homework in. I have spoken with mom several times about it, but to no avail.

So here is what I decided to do. Homework in my class is given on Monday and due on Friday. If she hasn't turned it in on the day it's due, then I remind her that it needs to be completed and tell her to turn it in to me on Monday. When that doesn't happen, she is responsible for making up the work during school hours. (She really needs that extra practice). I don't like taking away recess - I feel like it is a necessary thing for kids to have. So, she misses out on our center time for however many days it takes for her to finish it (She is kind of a slow worker).

She actually turned her homework in on time this past Friday, so that is a good thing. Centers are alot of fun, and I figure she doesn't like to miss out on them!

19. 773 Miles Away

773 Miles Away Comrade

Feb 2, 2009

I also take away recess. Except for 1 student - they all hand in their homework. I never grade homework though, I mark it complete or incomplete. I can never tell how much of their homework is being done themselves so it doesn't seem right to have it reflect on their report card. Infact, if a parent is helping them with the homework then wonderful! But I always keep in mind... if they got an A+ on their homework assignment it could be because they had parental help (which is fine, but its not an individual assessment). If they can repeat that A+ in an upcoming quiz or in class assignment, then I'm content.

I am starting to wish there was a better alternative to taking away their recess though... because I would rather not have to sit in my room watching them finish their homework during my free time... Luckily though, this doesn't happen often.

I was thinking of changing the policy to some other type of consequence that mirrors the "no recess" consequence but I can't think of anything. Grades don't influence the ones who neglect their homework.

Honestly, I wish I could send them home with "I will not forget to do my homework" writing 100 times... but I think the parents would get upset... lol. Though, maybe I can send them home with a worthy assignment - write an essay as to why homework is important, at least 3 paragraphs. hmm....

20. 773 Miles Away

773 Miles Away Comrade

Feb 2, 2009

P.S. I like the idea of fun time on Fridays... I think if the no-homework students sat in the back and made up their work while they watched the rest of us participate in a fun game... it would encourage them for next week... Though if they forgot homework on Monday.. I would think some would just give up for the rest of the week because the free time has already been taken away.

21. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Feb 2, 2009

They get a strike. 3 strikes for the day and they lose recess. If it is a habitual problem, I will assign afterschool detention.
    As for points, 1 day late -5 points, 2 days -10 points, 3 days -15 points and after 4 days, they get a zero.

22. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Feb 2, 2009

I don't have any consequences except for a massive increase in blood pressure!

(Kidding...I know what you meant!)

However, the consequences for most kids are "Do it now." or "Do it at recess" depending on what I've got planned. This would be for infrequent lapses. Not just once, but every month or so.

For one student, it's "You can't stay after school with me on Tuesday." He loves to stay after. Wacka-doo kid. Parents don't care whether he does it or not.

For another, it's "Well, that's a first. I'm sure it won't happen again." And it doesn't. (She's crying while she's telling me.)

For a most others, it's "Let me sign your agenda, and fill out this form and get a parent signature." Those are for the kids whose parents will go to town on them. The form was on a Power Teaching site.

23. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Feb 2, 2009

I average two weeks of math homework for one grade since the math homework is just one to three problems each day.

If the work is not done, I give them an intial zero and then they finish it during recess to get a seventy. Once they finish, they go out. The kids get thirty minutes of recess, plus the forty-five minutes of PE daily, so if they miss ten minutes, it won't have too much of an impact.

If the kid turns in a homework pass, they don't get an intial zero, but whatever they make on the paper. I give the kids one free homework pass a grading period, and then give other opportunities to earn more.

I have three repeat offenders. Their parents sign the planners each day saying their child has completed their homework, so getting it done isn't a priority at home, so I have to make it a priority at school.

24. ByCandleLight

ByCandleLight Rookie

Feb 4, 2009

That does seem a bit harsh for that grade level. I like the other poster's idea of the graduated punishment for each offense.

But what do I know? ::sigh:: I can't even get 10th graders to turn in their work. I've got a bunch now that I've even devoted classtime for makeup work and they won't do it. Now that's lazy. Then on the flip side, I have a student with a 504 for ADHD, and his mother translates "extended time" into "whenever I feel like it...even if it's a month late." Nice, huh?

I'd balance out the whole idea of making it unpleasant without impacting their grade to the point where they give up because they figure they can't bring their average up no matter what they do.

25. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Feb 4, 2009

This is pretty much what I do. Especially with Extra credit. And if I do give extra assignments, which is rare, students have to have ALL their regular assignments done first. Extra assignments are for students who do all their work and still need a boost.

26. Teacher234

Teacher234 Cohort

Mar 12, 2018

I am glad they get a name!

27. Hokiegrad1993

Hokiegrad1993 Comrade

Mar 12, 2018

I feel like this is too strict for the grade level. Where I come from kids don't get hw until 2nd or 3rd grade so they are still transitioning. Yes they need to learn but I think a lesser punishment might be best.

28. Tyler B.

Tyler B. Groupie

Mar 12, 2018

The homework for the day is the answering message on my voicemail. I have a student record it daily along with a description of some of the cool stuff we learned that day and a joke (read out of my secret joke book) is the last thing. Sometimes my answering message is dialed 59 times a day. I found out that grandparents are calling it to find out what their grandchild did that day.

If a student doesn't return part of the homework, it's a strike against getting the coveted Homework Award for the week. Perfect homework means a gold foil star on the award.

Students need to complete the late assignments during recess. If they can't finish, I figure it was my fault for assigning more than 15 minutes of work (not counting their 20 minutes of reading) and I forgive the rest. No one goes home with extra homework.

Backroads and otterpop like this.
  29. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Mar 12, 2018

Especially when homework really doesn't have a positive effect on elementary students! Wild reading without requirements, and sometimes math homework that reviews what we did that day...with the occasional "talk with your parents about X" (an assembly, some life skills learning, etc...)...that's it for me.

30. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Mar 12, 2018

What does this look like?

31. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Mar 12, 2018

I know this information is restated a lot, but I disagree. I definitely see the kids who do homework benefit from doing so. Yes, the kids who don't do it do tend to get further behind - but should I keep everyone from practicing because a few kids decide not to? I remediate with those students as needed and sometimes have them do the homework in class. I also think it's a good way for parents to be involved.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
    Backroads likes this.
  32. Belch

Belch Companion

Mar 12, 2018

None at all. Assigning homework is something I rarely do, but when I do, it's because I am giving them an idea of what to do to reinforce what goes on during my class that they can't do in my classroom, assuming they want to do it.

My students have their own lives to live, and assigning homework assumes that they have nothing scheduled once the last bell rings and the school day is over.

I will let them know what is going to be taught in the next class so they can prepare, if they have the time or inclination, but it's not really necessary as I introduce the subject matter at the beginning of the class anyway.

I think the same idea translates to elementary school children. Their parents assume responsibility for them once they are out of the teacher's hair, and then it is up to the parents to be parents. They might have their own ideas, and that has to take precedence over my ideas. I'm not their parent. I'm just their teacher.

Backroads likes this.
  33. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Mar 13, 2018

I've had the same thoughts, actually. What I think I'm starting to edge towards is a feeling that it's less the fact that I "assign" homework, but more the fact that there are resources available. Those families that are strong anyways will utilize those resources, those where there are weaker connections or less academic worry tend not to utilize resources. I still like them building some form of responsibility, but really pull back so much that it's something that they can easily accomplish...and always share and put out there plenty of extensions and other resources.

Besides, the more time I can free up to "steal reading time", the better :p

Backroads likes this.
  34. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Mar 13, 2018

In my classes (AP Stats and AP Calculus AB/BC), the homework category constitutes 30% of their overall grade. The students quickly find out that all of my homework assignments are made by myself, and so they can’t just search for the answers online and actually have to think. If a student doesn’t do the homework in my class, then they don’t pass. Period.

Students who whine about homework get over it pretty quickly if they want to take higher level math and succeed at my school.

TLDR; if a student doesn’t do the homework assignments in my class, then they can’t get a grade any higher than a D+.

35. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Mar 13, 2018

30% for an AP class!?!?!?!?!?!?!? Lucky kids. And here I thought 20% for a CP class was too generous. Our AP and honors math classes have to keep HW worth 0% to control grade inflation, and to make sure the grade reflects individual knowledge and efforts.The homework is suggested in honors/AP for practice only to help students prepare for assessments.

Even in CP, I think giving a kid who can ace tests/quizzes a low grade for not doing HW is not reasonable. If the kid can ace without doing it, doing the HW would clearly be a waste of their time. So I give any CP student who gets a 90 on my unit test an automatic 100% for homework.

36. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Mar 13, 2018

I appreciate the arguments for homework and they likely apply to some grade levels, but lower elementary? I think reading is all they need. Or perhaps I just don't know the art of assigning homework.

I still think that in this day and age, extra practice in the math and language foundations is so readily available and accessible to the parents to the point they can just get it themselves. Point out a few resources and there you go.

37. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Mar 13, 2018

Homework is for practice, practice, practice...... An athlete doesn't get better without it...... Musicians practice at home... Singers sing at home..... So why not our subject matter?

Backroads and futuremathsprof like this.
  38. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Mar 13, 2018

Actually, they’re not lucky. As aforementioned, I make my own problem sets and they are significantly more difficult than the bookworm problems. This is also why I have a 98% pass rate on the AP test because my homework, quizzes, and tests are intentionally made more difficult than the AP exam. I’ve been told by students that they thought the AP test was easier than my final exam and chapter tests.

otterpop likes this.
  39. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Mar 13, 2018

I'm not saying your students are ill-prepared or that your HW is too easy or anything, only that I guarantee your problem set solutions are on a Facebook group somewhere, and that 30% is an awfully generous amount for AP students for something that may or may not reflect what they really know. I guess my bias is my district sets the rates at 20% for CP and 0% for honors/AP as the admin knows HW, no matter how challenging it is, inflates grade (as long as the students do it!) .

40. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Mar 13, 2018

At my college — and I went to one of the top public institutions in the entire country — the homework assignments often counted for a major part of your grade. Why? Because they: 1) forced you to collaborate with your peers like you would in a work setting, 2) enhanced your problem solving ability, and 3) taught you to meet deadlines. You could not finish them without deep knowledge of the subject matter (for example, when I took C++ Object-Oriented Programming the programming projects were worth more than the midterm and final combined!) and by having to spend a lot of time on them you mastered the material.

The professors modeled the homework assignments after the kind of assignments someone would have to do on the job because they recognized they’re more important than being able to answer questions on a test. An employer doesn’t just care if you know the material, they care if you can APPLY it to solve problems. I make my students work extremely hard even though it’s a high school class because they are over prepared when they go to college. For example, a student I taught when first starting teaching who just finished his undergrad degree emailed me and thanked me for making him work so strenuously because it made his college pale in comparison.

We need to make students struggle so that they can perform in the real world, not coddle them with little to no work because homework is “tedious.”

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    otterpop likes this.
  41. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Mar 13, 2018

It makes no difference because I make new ones every year. I literally spend one entire week each summer generating new ones, so I tell my students good luck with that!