What are your class averages?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Peregrin5, Oct 27, 2015.

1. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Oct 27, 2015

I have pretty solid 75%'s for all of my classes and they've held steady for a while now. I've heard of classes who have higher class averages though and last year some of my classes had averages of 80% while others had averages of 65%. What's normal?

I have a few kids who are just not completing major assignments and blowing off tests. I require them to participate in class, but I can't force participation at home when they have large projects due. So some Fs, but also a lot of As.

3. jadorelafrance

jadorelafrance Cohort

Oct 28, 2015

Our language classes are tracked according to CP, A and H levels. I find that CP generally has a high C, low B average. I teach all A and AP this year and my averages range from mid to high B. I do have a class with a 92% average! It's interesting because I have two sections of that level and the other class's average is a mid B and they do the same stuff, so I can tell that the 92% average class performs at a much high level. I might have to start differentiating and challenging them more.

4. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Oct 28, 2015

My class averages are on the high side: B- to A-. My CP English classes are a little lower than my world language classes, but I believe this is because the language (French) tends to attract more self-motivated students (not always though!) and so the averages tend to be higher. The B- section is an English class with lots of As and Fs -- it's a very diverse group of learners. I'm still trying to figure out how to differentiate for some students with major learning needs.

5. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Oct 28, 2015

Five of my classes average around 80%. One class is at 59%. Multiple truancy and disciplinary issues in that class.

6. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Oct 28, 2015

My classes usually stay between an 85-90%.

7. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Oct 28, 2015

Mine are always equal numbers of As and Fs, with a smattering of everything else. Too many kids don't want to do anything, plus they know that passing one quarter is enough to pass for the year given our grading rules. This is pretty typical for my school.

8. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Oct 29, 2015

depends upon the courses I'm teaching. This semester I have really advanced students that care about their grades. I only have one F out of 100+ students. About 40% have an A - which is really high for me - typically I have about 50% of my students getting a B with about 20-25% getting an A.

9. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Oct 29, 2015

Adding, when I'm not teaching advanced students, I tend to count the number of Fs, not the number of As. I'm lucky if I get any A's and have around 45 % F's.

10. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Oct 30, 2015

So I'm guessing they fluctuate from class to class.
    I guess I have pretty uniform classes this year, since all of them have a 75% average.

11. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Oct 31, 2015

Mine always have a very strong correlation to attendance. So many kids don't come to school and attendance policies have no teeth.

12. Letsgo

Letsgo Rookie

Nov 1, 2015

This is always interesting to me. I teach juniors, sophomores, and honors sophomores. Our junior class has much worse behavior, attitudes, and grades than the sophomore class. We had a big administration change 3 years ago, and each class has gotten better and better. The current juniors are the last class that have some of the bad attitudes and entitlement; current freshmen and sophomores seem much better. This is a private school, also.
    juniors: 75% and 80%
    Sophomores: 88% and 87%
    Honors: 94% and 95%

13. Historyct

Historyct Rookie

Nov 12, 2015

I'm responding late to this, but my class averages for Q1 are:

70 (academic level)
    72 (academic)
    90 (honors)
    90 (honors)
    72 (academic)

There is a huge fluctuation between academic and honors, but my academic and honors classes, exclusive to each other, are all around the same score.