What are your BEST classroom management ideas?

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by firstgradeteach, Oct 5, 2007.

1. firstgradeteach

firstgradeteach Comrade

Oct 5, 2007

I am starting my second year of teaching... and am still trying to get organized and find good ways to keep the students working quietly! The best thing I tried recently is having the students file all finished work in a hanging file under their name. It makes grading bearable and for easy returning.

Are there any kinds of tips or ideas that you use that work very well for you? They can be organization ideas.... managing students... etc. I really would appreciate any help you can give me! I keep trying different things but am always to find things that are a perfect fit!

Thanks in advance for any tips you can give me!

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 5, 2007

I was going to try the hanging file idea when I got my own classroom. I'm glad to see that it's working for you!

4. cait21

cait21 Rookie

Oct 5, 2007

I got this idea from someone on one of these threads I think... but it has been THE BEST idea to make the students work quietly. I have a "Secret Hallway Walker".. "Secret Worker", etc.... and I tell the kids, "I will have a secret walker right now"... and then I don't tell them who it is... so they all just go all out and do what they should be doing... then, when it's the end of the walk/activity etc., I say ... ok, my secret walker was "joe".. and joe will get to pick a sticker.. and i make a big deal out of it... now, just to keep them honest.. sometimes i'll say.. my secret walker unfortunately did not do what they should have been doing.. so they will not receive a sticker, hopefully next time they will cooperate.. but i never tell them who it was... it REALLY works!! and the kids love it... Actually, sometimes if the kids are getting a little chatty.. someone will come up to me and say , "I think you should do a secret worker".. haha.. they even know it works!

5. firstgradeteach

firstgradeteach Comrade

Oct 5, 2007

I have only used it for one week and won't ever go back! I used to dread grading papers. It is overwhelming to see the same paper over and over. Also my students are not good at turning in things nice and neat. I think it gives me a quick insight into who did their work and who turned in their homework. I really like it and think it is the best thing I have found!

6. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Oct 5, 2007

I MIGHT try the secret worker idea during center time. Hmmmm.

7. TampaTeacher

TampaTeacher Comrade

Oct 5, 2007

Hi! I'm a fourth-grade teacher, but I was browsing all the posts for ideas. This file folder idea sounds cool. Where do you hang the files? In a drawer the students go to, or on a wall, or somewhere else? Do you just tell them, "when your work is done you can get up and put it in your folder?" or do you have a student who collects all the work at one time and files it? Thanks for the tip!

8. firstgradeteach

firstgradeteach Comrade

Oct 6, 2007

I use this too! I call it mystery sticks though! I write the students names on popcicle sticks and keep them in a cup. During random times(usually centers) I draw out three sticks. I tell them, I will be "watching" these students but they don't know who it is. If I see a student talking... I say, "Sally, I hope you are not one of the mystery sticks becasue you are not showing me the right behaviors." I also will tease them and act like I am looking at the sticks and stare around the room. They think it is funny and last year it got them back to work. It was amazing what it did. However, this year I have 5 students that it doesn't work for. I even changed it so that they get to choose the reward. But I agree it is the best thing I have found so far! A fellow teacher read it in a Mailbox magazine last year and shared it with me!

9. firstgradeteach

firstgradeteach Comrade

Oct 6, 2007

I use a crate with hanging file folders. I have it at the front of the room. The students have a few morning jobs... put away just right books, put away folders and to turn in homework. I set the reading folder tub and the hanging files next to each other so that they didn't have travel all over the room. I had a spare desk to set it on. I have a counter top but it would be too high for them to file their papers in.

I also have the files in ABC order (which they know their class number already). To make it easier and so there are few errors in filing... I have green hanging files for the boys names and purple for the girls names.

Whenever they are finished with papers throughout the day they just get up and go file it under their name. They do not need to ask me and adjusted to the change well. They also are very good at filing their homework there right when they come to school in the morning. Since I just started this last week, I had some graded papers that were not filed yet. I had my classroom managers file the papers for me when they were finished with centers. They actually did well for being 6 year olds!

I really like this because it cuts down grading time (somehow!) and passing out papers. I also know students that have a difficult time turning in homework... I simply go over and flip through quickly and can see who has and has not turned in their work.

10. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Oct 8, 2007

This is a great idea. Thank you so much for sharing. I think this will work great during center time.:2up:

11. TeachtheWorld

TeachtheWorld Companion

Oct 9, 2007

I choose two secret students (a boy and a girl). At the end of each segment of time, I let them know if they get their reward or not. I only tell them who it was if they get the reward. If they do not, then I share the behavior that kept them from getting the reward.

12. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Oct 9, 2007

cait, I use the hallway walker too!!! I love it!! It works for most of my kiddies...I never though to use it in the classroom!!!

13. cait21

cait21 Rookie

Oct 9, 2007

Haha... Yes, well at first I was only doing the secret hallway walker, but then it worked so well.. I started to do it while they were at centers and it was magic! Good Luck!

14. love_reading

love_reading Comrade

Oct 9, 2007

I don't have a hallway problem this year---thank goodness! BUT I think you can always use more incentives during center time! I will definately try it out tomorrow!!
    Also, I use the filing too, sort of. They turn in all their papers into one basket but after I grade them I file them. Then when I am ready to send their work home I staple it together and put in their mailboxes. I think I will try having them file it on their own and see how it goes. Thanks for the tips!

15. firstgradeteach

firstgradeteach Comrade

Oct 9, 2007

I hope it works for you! It has saved me a lot of time!:cool:

16. Victoriateacher

Victoriateacher Rookie

Oct 9, 2007

Thanks for the ideas! I'm on my final practicum in a K-1 split and really love the secret walker/worker idea. What kinds of rewards do you give? I'm a little leary about giving away too much. My kids already get stickers on a daily basis on their work, so it's not too much of an incentive.

17. firstgradeteach

firstgradeteach Comrade

Oct 10, 2007

I use the sticks... b ut it is the same idea.... I give choice of rewards.... extra pennies (I use a token economny), extra computer time, first choice on choice centers, candy, lunch with me, sit in one of the special reading chairs to read, have a character buddy for a subject (arthur, clifford, franklin stuffed animals). I usually give them 2 choices. Since everyone has a different motivator!

18. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Oct 10, 2007

I do secret trash. I tell them that I have secret trash that needs to be cleaned up. They are not allowed to ask "Is this it?" Sometimes my trash may be a book shelf that needs to be straightened or just folders that need to be picked up. Then after a few minutes I give the person who "found" the secret trash a reward.

19. firstgradeteach

firstgradeteach Comrade

Oct 10, 2007

I love it! The secret piece of trash!!!! It would help us win the clean classroom of the week!!!!! I bet they will be so motivated!!!!!!! It will definitely be a game for them... and it will make me happy!!!!!

I just had a teacher at school talk about being a desk fairy. She will randomly put candy on student desks in the morning and say, "The desk fairy came and left candy for the students with clean desks" I thought this was funny and I am going to try it!!!!! I already have surprise cleanings but it's not enough!

20. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Oct 10, 2007

I did the desk fairy too! I left a mint or a minieraser or something like that! This year we have tables, so I started doing the desk fairy again, but for clean and neat nametags and pencil cans!

I did magic piece of trash last year, they didn't get a prize though. The kids were just excited to be the one who found the magic piece of trash! I will do this again this year if it becomes an issue.

21. hpy2b1st

hpy2b1st New Member

Oct 13, 2007

Teams and Tallies

For seatwork positive behavior, I have mine divided into 3 teams and I keep tallies on the board. Each time a team reaches a "five" they get a small prize. This reinforces tallies and counting by fives. Some of my teams are up to fifteen now, (I don't give tally marks out very easily) and they are wondering which team will reach twenty first. They love it.

22. firstgradeteach

firstgradeteach Comrade

Oct 13, 2007

good idea! thanks for sharing!!!! I will try that starting Monday! :)