What are your best academic games?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Deeena, Feb 8, 2010.

1. Deeena

Deeena Cohort

Feb 8, 2010

I am constantly seeing how academic games for math, language arts, science, etc. really reinforces skills, builds community, and allows kids to have fun and learn at the same time. I am hoping that we can all share some of our best academic games that are simple and require little to no prep. Please share and maybe we'll all have something new and exciting to use with our students tomorrow! :)

3. Deeena

Deeena Cohort

Feb 8, 2010

Here's a game that I play with my students:

I type up a word list on the computer of about 20 or more words. These words might be synonyms, homophones, antonyms, anything depending on what we're working on. put the kids in groups of 4 and give them 1 list. They pass the list around and have to write the appropriate word next to the word on my typed list. For instance, if I gave a list of homophones and my word was bear, they would have to write the homophone bare. The students get one turn and keep passing the paper around in a circle until they are finished. They are allowed to help each other. Sometime I time them to add even more excitement.

4. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Feb 8, 2010

That sounds like fun Deeena.

Do you have a smartboard or a projector in your room...there are so many templates to make powerpoint games..they can be jeopordy, who wants to be a millionaire, matching games, etc. If you dont, you can still use these games when you bring your class to the computer lab and the students can do it individually.

Or a good game for vocab can be used with an overheard projector....have say 20 vocab words in a grid and project it...if you dont have a projector then you can write all the words out on the chalk board. Split the class into two teams, have one fly swatter for each team. The teacher reads the definition, fill in the blank, etc. and the one person from each team that is up at the board will have to hit the correct answer with the fly swatter (or you can use something else, but a fly swatter works good and you can find at a dollar store). By the time you go through 20 words each student should have gotten a couple of times to come up to the board.

5. gottagoodgig

gottagoodgig Companion

Feb 9, 2010

I love the Mailbox series of Mix and Match games. They have them for Literacy and Math. There are 10 games and 10 different game boards that are interchangeable. So, really there are 100 different possibilities. They cost about $25, I think. WELL worth the money, and much more affordable that actual board games. I use these all the time! Look for them on the Mailbox website...

6. Deeena

Deeena Cohort

Feb 9, 2010

Great ideas! If you're trying to save money, you can create the Mix and Match games using a word program. Laminate them and you can use them over and over! The kids love it!

Does anyone else have fun game ideas?