What are your 7/8 graders reading?

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by MrsCAD, Sep 23, 2008.

1. MrsCAD

MrsCAD Companion

Sep 23, 2008

I am trying to put together a book order and wanted to order some new books for my classroom library. I am having a hard time finding books that I think they will be interested in. My main problem with ordering books is ordering what I want to read or what I think the girls will like, so I am failing my boys in this area!

So, what kind of books are your kids reading?

3. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Sep 24, 2008

My girls love the Twilight series (There are four books) by Stephanie Meyer. They are also enjoying the Uglies series by Scott Westerfield. I've noticed a lot of kids picking up Drums, Girls and Dangerous Pie by Jordan Sonnenblick too. I have all of these books except for the Meyer ones in my classroom library, and I plan on buying those.

4. MrsCAD

MrsCAD Companion

Sep 24, 2008

Oh we have ALL read the Twilight books. I can not keep them on my shelves! I even love it.

I will have to look into Drums, Girls and Dangerous Pie thank you!

5. kickatstars

kickatstars Rookie

Sep 24, 2008

Walter Dean Myers is great, I think I have two or three boys reading Monster right now. They also love the Percy Jackson books by Rick Riordan. I've seen a few copies of Son of the Mob floating around, too, although I don't remember who wrote it.

6. KLily21

KLily21 Companion

Sep 26, 2008

I know some of my students read and liked Son of the Mob last year. I'm pretty sure, however, that there are some sexual references in that book. I haven't read it myself, but two of my students did their book projects on that book last year and they both mentioned that in their presentation. So if you are buying them for your own library, you might want to know that ahead of time.

7. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Sep 27, 2008

I teach math but one of my 7th grade girls just finished reading a book she really enjoyed called Shug.

8. reverie

reverie Companion

Sep 29, 2008

My girls enjoyed books by Sarah Dessen and the Pretties/Uglies/Specials series. I'm not sure of the author.

9. trina

trina Companion

Sep 29, 2008

My boys love the Matt Christopher sports books. There's a ton out there. Matt Christopher is one of the leading authors I buy for my boys. Also the Star Trek series.

I'm like you- I've tended to buy what I like or what the girls like. I worked really hard this suumer to find books for the boys. I also bought a book that has been THE MOST PASSED AROUND AND READ BOOK EVER. It's called What's Happening to My Body- Book for Boys. :eek: Even my non-readers read it. The boys also love any nonfiction gross out or weird book- Ripley's Believe it or Not, Encyclopedia of the Strange, etc.

10. emptynest2001

emptynest2001 New Member

Sep 30, 2008

I've been a lurker here for a while and love the great info! My eighth graders are currently reading "Tangerine" by Edward Bloor. I had to call it a boy's book, but it really it. Yet the girls LOVE it! This is the third or fourth year I've used it as a whole class book. "Stuck in Neutral" is a great read for guys, but it's a teeny bit controversial at times! "City of Ember" is also really good and boys may like it even though the main character is a girl (with a guy close by her side). We're reading that next. And of course the old faithfuls of "The Outsiders" and "Call of the Wild" are always popular with guys!

11. KLily21

KLily21 Companion

Sep 30, 2008

Scott Westerfeld

12. Mr.MiddleSchool

Mr.MiddleSchool Comrade

Feb 4, 2009

I would have to agree. You can never go wrong with The Outsiders.

Other popular middle school book titles are:

The Giver
    The Chocolate War
    Where the Red Fern Grows
    Twilight and the other books in that series.

Keep in mind some if not all of these books have adult themes in them so just be prepared to discuss them in your class.

-Mr.MiddleSchool

13. Kaydee

Kaydee New Member

Feb 8, 2009

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. All of my 6th/7th/and 8th graders have LOVED this book--both boys and girls. This is the hot book in our school right now and more teachers are adding it to their libraries.

14. MrsOrion

MrsOrion Rookie

Feb 23, 2009

Here's a great list of books that i recommend for 7/8th graders hopefully you'll find some of them useful:
    7th/8th Grade list:
    October Sky by Humer Hickham
    This book was originally called "Rocket Boys" but when the movie was made, they changed it to "October Sky"

"Hatchet" by Gary Paulsen is also a favorite
    "Nothing but the Truth" by Avi is a fast, easy read and very topical.

and for boys...
    They will love "Tangerine" by Edward Bloor . It is well written and feature's soccer + brother/brother + father/son relationships.

Hope this helps.

15. kidsandpups

kidsandpups Companion

Feb 23, 2009

The Westing Game, The Cay, The Giver, Roll of Thunder Hear My Cry