What are you working on this summer?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by teacherbell, Jun 14, 2007.

1. teacherbell

teacherbell Cohort

Jun 14, 2007

I want to get ahead and get some things done over the summer. What are you working on to give you an "edge" before school starts?

3. lnewbigging

lnewbigging Companion

Jun 14, 2007

I am moving from 3rd to 2nd grade, so I have a lot to do. Two of the things I am definitely going to look at is our new spelling program and trying to organize it so it makes sense to me. I am also will be looking at our math program and organize it to make sure I have what I need to teach each concept. It will be a busy summer. :eek: :D

4. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Jun 14, 2007

I am revamping my literacy centers. New centers, new rotational system, new materials management. I am also going to re-do my word wall so it's more visible from all areas of the room. I also need to level my classroom library and rearrange my room to better use the space that I have. I have a strange room, very long and skinny!

5. Jenny G

Jenny G Companion

Jun 14, 2007

I have a huge summer list. It will take me more time than I have.

Math Word Wall
    Daily Math Warm-ups
    Vocabulary pictures
    Vocabulary flashcards
    Science tests
    Social Studies tests
    Language Arts selection tests

The list goes on and on.

6. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jun 14, 2007

Erin Elizabeth.. I'm moving into a new room that will be long and skinny as well!!!! If you have any good arrangement tips let me know. :)

7. patti2

patti2 Cohort

Jun 15, 2007

picture file-for story starters, vocab help, and science

science experiments

packet of writing prompts

below level help packets for math and reading

8. krwaggieteach

krwaggieteach Companion

Jun 15, 2007

I'm working on some vertical alignment. I'll also be organizing my files...again! It seems that is a never ending job!
    I also want to get some story starters. I'm going to be doing some reading about writer's workshop. That is a place where I need definite focus!

9. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jun 15, 2007

We are going to a new math and social studies programs next year. So, I have lot to do.

10. kburen

kburen Cohort

Jun 15, 2007

I'm taking some institute classes from the county I work in (different teachers teach different classes). 2 of the classes are "make and take" so I'll be making games and other things in those. The other one is centers for math....all to give me new ideas.

11. divey

divey Companion

Jun 15, 2007

During my summer I usually try to re-think management problems that I had the previous year (ways to organize behavior system, etc..) and organize my curriculum so that I'm sure to hit any areas I might have missed. I usually try to make myself take the month of June "off" (mentally) before I start planning, but I can't seem to stop thinking about all the wonderful things that I want to do next year! When I read all the things that you are doing this summer, I get even more excited and think "yeah! that would be something that would help me out next year too!" So, keep your to-do lists coming! :D
    ps..another thing that I do every summer is frequent the public library and check out ALL of the books that I never have time to read (both on an adult level and especially all the wonderful children's lit available...both new and classic) I have found/re-discovered many wonderful choices for read-alouds during my summer reading marathons!

12. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 15, 2007

I'm moving from kinder to fifth so I have a TON to do! All of my things for kinder wont' work, so I'm starting from scratch.

I've already organized and labled ALL of my books (all 900 of them).
    I came up with a behavior management plan
    how I am going to organize my room
    created my 5th grade website
    came up with a schedule
    studied my TEs and programs
    right now I'm reading Fred Jones

Plan to
    read writer's workshop and readers workshop books
    reread Harry Wong
    print things that I found from the internet-posters, charts, tags, lables, etc.
    plan first week in detail

13. teacherbell

teacherbell Cohort

Jun 15, 2007

I am getting inspired by everyones lists! Keep them coming!

14. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Jun 15, 2007

I'll try! I'm in a former pod school that was converted into separate rooms, so it's very oddly shaped. I have 4 doors to work around as well as an entire wall of cabinets!

I forgot to mention....I'm also working on developing a full day of emergency sub plans. If I'm feeling ambitious I'll try to plan a week! I never did that my first year, and so I went to work a couple of times that I really shouldn't have, just because I didn't have adequate plans.