What are you wearing for Meet the Teacher?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by gutterballjen, Aug 17, 2010.

1. gutterballjen

gutterballjen Comrade

Aug 17, 2010

I have my first Meet the Teacher night on Thursday and am so excited. However, I have no idea what to wear. Khakis and a cute top? A nice dress (definitely appropriate and professional)? Since this is the first school I'm student teaching at, I really want to make a good impression but not go overboard if that makes any sense.

3. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Aug 17, 2010

I'm probably going to wear a pencil skirt and a nice shirt.

4. jday129

jday129 Comrade

Aug 17, 2010

I'd go with a nice dress.

5. SuzieQ

SuzieQ Companion

Aug 17, 2010

I think if you are the student teacher, you might want to ask the teacher your working with for advice. If she's not wearing a dress, than khakis and a nice dressy top or a casual skirt sound fine to me. I usually get more dressed up on the first day of school,especially since that's when most parents bring their cameras!

6. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 17, 2010

I normally wear a nice skirt and top or dress (and perhaps I still will), but I heard the school may want us to wear our 2010-2011 theme t-shirts and jeans this year. Whatever I wear, I will try to wear it as nicely as possible. My best jeans, etc... :)

7. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 17, 2010

We don't have a meet the teacher night, but I always wear an A-line skirt my first day back. It makes me feel nostalgic and very vintage 50's. ;)

8. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Aug 17, 2010

Last year I wore my NASA flight suit.

This year I wore brown capris and a orange-y pink and brown top

9. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 17, 2010

We do meet-the-teacher separate from Open House. Ours is more come drop off your supplies and find your seat. I'm working in my classroom all day that day-probably won't dress up for it. But I don't think you can really overdress in that situation-people will just think you are professional.

10. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 17, 2010

I would LOVE to wear a NASA flight suit!!!!!! Wow... I forgot you were one of the Honeywell alumni, by the way. Perhaps I will have one of those in the future. :)

I wear a pencil skirt the first day back... I have a pinstripe blouse with a belt and a wonderful black skirt I think I wore the last two years the first day of school.

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 18, 2010

Surprise, surprise-- most people in my building wear a suit every time we meet with parents-- that's 6 times a year.

When in doubt, go more formal as opposed to less.

So I wouldn't assume that the khakis and top were the best bet unless you had already spoken to a lot of veteran teachers in your school and KNEW that was the local custom.

In your shoes, I would assume either the nice dress or a skirt and blouse would be appropriate.

12. Starista

Starista Cohort

Aug 18, 2010

We had Meet the Teacher on Monday evening. It was a grand time. Of course I tried on about 6 different outfits before I settled on one!

I am 13 weeks pregnant and pleasantly plump so dressing that can be a challenge -- especially with the fact that my parents and coworkers do not know about baby yet!!

I wore a mid calf black skirt (that is maternity with a VERY SCARY stretchy top that extends to my chest if I want it to) with a very dressy green blouse. Low-black heels.

I was dresseir than the majority of my coworkers, but it's my 1st year at this new school and first impressions w/ parents go a LONG way. :)

13. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 18, 2010

That pretty much says it all!!

14. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 18, 2010

It is the custom in our school to dress down...capris or khakis with a nice top. That's the normal dress code for our school. We also wear jeans on Mon and Fri. with a school spirit shirt. I would go with what your cooperating teacher suggests.

15. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 18, 2010

Ours is easy--it's a BBQ and dress is casual. We all wear our school polo shirts (which are an unfortunate pale green), with either black or khaki bottoms). For our Parent Education Night and our conference evenings, dress pants with a blazer or a pant suit (I don't "do" skirts).

I agree, ask others to see what the custom is at your school.

16. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Aug 18, 2010

We wear our school shirts and either khakis or jeans. Casual.

17. heymrsp

heymrsp Rookie

Aug 18, 2010

We don't have a "Meet the Teacher" night - is that like an Open House or is it something else entirely? For our Open House evening, I wear a dress and high heels. This year will probably be no different.

18. nklauste

nklauste Comrade

Aug 18, 2010

For our Open House when I was student teaching, I asked the teacher what all the teachers were expected to wear and they all wore jeans and the school t-shirt, so the other student teacher and I wore jeans with our college education dept. shirt from the year before.

19. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Aug 18, 2010

I wore a suit.

My air conditioning died.

It was a fun, sweaty time for every one :)

20. MK2ndGrade

MK2ndGrade Rookie

Aug 18, 2010

Our Open House is before school starts so it's more like a meet the teacher night. Our principal gave us a "business casual" dress code. However we are also allowed to work in our rooms during the 5 hour time slot so I'll probably wear a nice pair of crops and a nice top. Something I can still work in.

If you don't have a dress code, I would go with a dress or a nice skirt =)