What are you teaching the week you get back from break?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Giggles1100, Dec 14, 2011.

1. Giggles1100

Giggles1100 Comrade

Dec 14, 2011

Because I teach a Special Ed 6th grade class I have a variety of levels in each of my classes, so any ideas of what you plan to do the week you get back from break is helpful. We will have a short week as we go back on Wednesday and I know my bi-polar and autistic kids will need easy things but fulfilling things to do to get them back in the swing of school.

What are some things you will be working on that first week? Any grade level accepted I can modify to make it challenging or less challenging.

TIA

3. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Dec 14, 2011

I always review the Daily 5 charts.
    We also study antartica.

4. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Dec 14, 2011

Winter as a season, making resolutions (we talk about an area we can improve ourselves in at school and at home). We also start 3D figures and word families.

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Dec 14, 2011

Reading---we are reading a play and then watching a movie version of the play.

Writing---we will probably start with some exercises: make sentences more exciting, using transitions, etc.

Math---we are working on geometry. I start with vocabulary because they need it and it tends to be more fun. We can act out the different geometric terms.

6. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Dec 14, 2011

I forgot, writing we are starting Authors as Mentors with Rosemary Wells books focusing on small moments, dialogue, and adding details.

7. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Dec 14, 2011

I do a lot of Daily 5 review. We basically begin building stamina all over again. No reading groups that week.

We begin winter MAP testing, so I do a lot of math review and testing practice.

We will also begin a new science unit.

8. jteachette

jteachette Comrade

Dec 15, 2011

We are off for nearly 3 weeks, so I'll be reviewing routines and procedures, including Daily 5.

9. juli233

juli233 Companion

Dec 18, 2011

Our class theme this year is around the world so this last month before the break we have been "in Mexico" we set up a fake plane, had a pilot and stewardess, stamped passports, handed out magazines and snacks and watched a short "in flight" movie! it was hillarious! SO that said we are "flying" to china on the first day back because chinese new year is in january. As a school we are celebrating Chinese new year so this was the perfect time to transition to China in our classroom. We'll be making paper fans, learning to count to 10 in mandarin, learning some geography and learning about Chinese culture.

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 18, 2011

I'm not elementary, but I'll answer anyway.

My Geometry kids are starting the chapter on similar polygons and proportions.

My SAT prep kids will begin their second practice SAT of the year the first week back.

11. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Dec 18, 2011

this sounds GREAT :) I would have loved this idea when I was still teaching Geography. I am going to mention it to our Geography teacher because I think this will work just as well in high school