What are you strict about?

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by ayotte04, Jul 25, 2007.

1. deserttrumpet

deserttrumpet Comrade

Jul 28, 2007

I agree with no hats. Once the kids are in my room the hat comes off. However, the school lets the kids wear the hats in the hallways! This bothers me, but it is not my battle. (Our neck of the neighborhood values wearing hats).

I am also big on cell phones. I hate it when they text in class. The excuses they make when they are caught are enough to turn a heart to stone after a while.

2. kinder4me

kinder4me Comrade

Jul 28, 2007

Respect EVERYONE in the classroom. Disrespectful children drive my nuts:woot: Also, I am very strict when it comes to safety. So if I see a student doing something that could cause injury (to himself or another), I get very upset.

3. ayotte04

ayotte04 Comrade

Jul 28, 2007

this is a good idea and might help me get more organized. i like it...dont get handed anything. what about notes from other teachers, tardy slips...?

4. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Jul 28, 2007

I, too hate when kids are around my desk. I often have things o my desk that are confidential, and so they know that it is a "No student zone"....I hate gum, too....it is evil.

5. wig

wig Devotee

Jul 28, 2007

I have a box on my desk that everything goes in. Usually a note from a teacher I take and read immediately because it is usually a "may I borrow.." and I need to send it with the messenger. :) I do retrieve the things from the box when I am not being distracted. If i am teaching when a student comes in tardy, I don't particularily care why they are tardy at that moment. I'll read the note later. Each subject has its own tray and on time or late, it goes in the tray.

6. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 28, 2007

You might want to consider not allowing cell phones in your class...period!!
    Have you visited you tube lately? Shorts videos taken on cell phones in classrooms of teachers are all over the internet!! Some catch teachers being inappropriate and some just have videos of teachers with students doing voice overs to humiliate the teacher and for laughs for themselves. Ugh!!!

I'm glad out principal has a no cells or any other electronic devices policy for the entire school! I am not in the mood to appear on you tube!!

7. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 28, 2007

I really dislike it when kids do not speak when spoken to. I know some kids are shy, but if I say "hi" to a student in the hall (from a different class), I would like a hi back.

8. FutureFLTeacher

FutureFLTeacher Companion

Jul 28, 2007

At this point I think the issue I will be most strict with is respect. Whether it's respecting me, yourself, your fellow classmates, the ladies in the cafeteria, the librarian, etc.

I've always believed in the old adage treat others as you wish to be treated. I think instilling this is something that the kids keep with them long after they have left your classroom.

9. srh

srh Devotee

Jul 28, 2007

In Kinder, many kids are learning social skills for the first time....sad, but true! I had one instance of a couple of students "making fun" of another while the (severely speech-impaired student) was speaking. Boy, oh boy, did those two hear about it afterward. It was tricky not drawing attention to it in the moment, but as soon as it was "safe" I lit into them. They NEVER even thought about it again, as far as I know! :-D I had not realized how sensitive I was to the issue until that happened. Now it is part of my "first of the year" discussions with kids...

10. trulyblssd

trulyblssd Companion

Jul 28, 2007

~No talking when I am, that's just rude!
    ~When the bell rings you should be in your seat. If your not your late...that's a big one this year.
    ~No cleaning up before the bell rings....I despise that!

11. historybuff91

historybuff91 Companion

Jul 28, 2007

I'm most strict about respect. I tell all my students on the first day that if I hear any rude, cruel, or unreasonable commenting on other students they will write an essay on respect, due the next day, serve two after school detentions, and write an apology letter to the other student. If they are rude like talking when another student is talking, or interrupting a student, then they just get a warning.

12. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2007

I'm pretty strict all the way around I suppose. My top three in no particular order would be:

I start talking, you stop talking.
    Pledge, annoucements, etc: zero voices.
    Respect, respect, respect!