What are you strict about?

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by ayotte04, Jul 25, 2007.

1. ayotte04

ayotte04 Comrade

Jul 25, 2007

Some teachers are strict about certain policies and will not budge on things. I think IF used in moderation it's not a bad idea.

What things are you strict on? Bathroom passes? Sharpening pencils before class? Late work? Etc?

And how do you think your method of being firm is effective?

3. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 25, 2007

Don't walk behind my desk!
    Why? Because I said so!

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 25, 2007

Silence when I'm teaching.
    Complete attention (no fiddling).

5. ptlanguage

ptlanguage Rookie

Jul 25, 2007

Sharpening the pencil before class is a biggy with me, along with late work. My late work policy is 1 day late = 20% off;
    2 days late = 50% off;
    after that = a zero.
    I teach with several that will not accept late work at all though.

6. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 25, 2007

Put things back in their spots! I have to be super organized, or I lose everything!

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 25, 2007

Fire Drills. Talk during one and you WILL see the dean. No second chances, no "but I was only..." Just be quiet until we're back in the classoom.

Cheating. I won't publicly humiliate you. But you will get a zero and it will stick.

Almost anything else I can work with you on.

Ayotte, you ask the BEST questions!!!

8. ayotte04

ayotte04 Comrade

Jul 25, 2007

Oh I like the firedrill one. Safety is THE most important thing in my classroom. Not the subject material. "stop running with those scissors":lol:

9. Mrs.Gould

Mrs.Gould Comrade

Jul 25, 2007

Not picking up after themselves! AHH I hate that! I will not let the student leave the area or room until it's clean.

10. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 25, 2007

I would have to say respect to one another- such as listening when someone else is talking- paying full attention when an adult is talking to the class. Behaviors toward one another like please and thank you, etc.

11. apple25

apple25 Comrade

Jul 25, 2007

Getting our pizza orders right on Thursdays (it takes about 3 double checks until it is correct . . . grrrrr).

No cheating or talking during tests. I'll take the test away and call their parents . . . in grade 7 and 8 you have had enough years to figure out the rules!!

Also, it really bothers me when kids are talking or fiddling while the athem is being played. I'd like them to show some respect for our country!

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 25, 2007

I had a friend who went to Providence college a few years after their big dorm fire in the '70's. She told stories that her friends had told her, how they had had a rash of late night false alarms. The night of the fire, the kids HEARD the alarms, but figured it was only another false alarm. That error in judgement (according to the stories she told us) killed those kids.

In my classroom, there is no such thing as "only a drill."

In fact, this year we had the fire alarm go off during a lunch period. Every teacher in the building knew it was no drill-- although we should do that, we never do. (600+ kids in the cafteria all of whom have to eat in 38 minutes, some on line, some food not yet paid for... a logistical nightmare.)

Turns out they were working on one of the elevators and tripped the alarm. But obviously we didn't know that when the alarm went off.

13. ayotte04

ayotte04 Comrade

Jul 25, 2007

Is that a Canada thing about the pizzas? Mmmm I wanna teach at your school. I agree about the cheating by 7th,8th grade. I think I may consider calling the parents too.

14. WindyCityGal606

Jul 25, 2007

Close your mouth the second the intercom comes on!!
    Zip I T!!

15. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 25, 2007

No eating or drinking in my room unless we're having a party
    NO passes to your locker during my class
    Once I give you a warning about something, you stop--otherwise you leave.

16. GatorGal

GatorGal Cohort

Jul 25, 2007

Hmm well, since next year is my first year, I anticipate being the most strict on respect (for peers, me, other teachers, subs, everyone).

I went bonkers as a sub when I heard kids making fun of one another while reading aloud. I really hate that.

17. teacheratheart

teacheratheart Companion

Jul 25, 2007

I agree with the fire drill thing. Same thing goes for lockdown drills. There are no chances. They do what they are told, end of story.

I am also big on hats. I don't want to see them on in the classroom. I don't even let my kids wear them in the hallways. The minute you walk through that doorway and you are inside, your hat should be in your hand.

18. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Jul 25, 2007

Treat me with respect. Don't lie or cheat. Be safe. We can work through anything else.

19. Eliza

Eliza Companion

Jul 25, 2007

-Show respect during the pledge.
    -Show respect to other classes by walking quietly in the hall.
    -Show respect to classmates. Absolutely NO making fun of others.

20. Terrence

Terrence Comrade

Jul 25, 2007

Ditto!

And also don't come into the classroom talking. As soon as they are on the ramp outside my room their mouths better be shut, or they don't come in my room!

I'm also strict on stupidity. Don't act stupid in my class! It's that simple! You're in 7th grade, so it's time to act like it! By stupid I mean trying to be the class clown, doing annoying things, messing around. Don't blurt out stupid stuff, anything that a kindergartener might do (it's cute on them, but not on a 7th grader)etc.

I mean, we will have fun and joke around, but just don't act stupid! lol. I hope that makes sense.

Pencil sharpening won't be a problem anymore because they have one in their pencil pouches on the side of their desks, so, as long as they don't become a disturbance, they can sharpen their pencils anytime during class since they don't even have to get up. I will have numbered each pencil sharpener, so if anybody steals it, they will face the wrath of Mr. Smith! And it won't be pretty! :naughty:

And the final most important most annoying, heinous, most evil thing you can do in my classroom is sit there and do nothing. This one gets to me more than anything! YOU WILL NOT SIT AND DO NOTHING IN MY CLASS! You WILL participate by taking notes, doing assignments, etc, or there will be some horrid consequences! I am not wasting my time for you to sit here and do nothing! That is an insult to me, yourself, and your family! I will call parents, hold them after, or keep them in my class all day until they finish the work they're supposed to do, but they will not sit and do nothing! If it is an actual learning disability that's one thing, but don't think you're going to try and be Mr. Too Cool for School and do nothing because I will not tolerate that!

21. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 25, 2007

Amen.

22. teacheratheart

teacheratheart Companion

Jul 25, 2007

I agree with the silence but no fiddling is hard. Our principal used ot get into these long winded speeches and stupid stories and I would be so bored I would start playing with my pen. Without meaning to though. I hold my pen between my thumb and forefinger and kind of bounce it back and forth. I wouldn't even realize I was doing it until I got a kick under the table from one of my fellow teachers. :eek: And I tend to bounce my foot a lot. So I am a little looser on the fiddling part. Somedays your mind just isn't on school and I understand that. Just don't let it happen too often. ;)

23. TulipsGirl

TulipsGirl Cohort

Jul 25, 2007

As Cassie said - YOU MAY NOT EAT IN MY CLASS. (unless there's a party - and then no one leaves until every cup, napkin and cupcake crumb is swept and GONE.) If I see you eating, it goes straight on my desk till recess. If I see it again, you don't get it back till dissmissal.
    The last thing I want to deal with is creepy crawlies, mice, rats or any of their relatives.

I remember in another school I worked in we had a mouse problem. They would go into the radiator at night while the heat was off, and then when the heat went on... well you get the picture. The stench was so horrid one morning I put my bag down (I was an aide and substituting that day), marched to the office and said "I'm not setting foot in that room until someone brings me proof that whatever died in there is out." :eek:
    Does that explain why I have such a strict "no food policy"??

24. I_love_turtles

I_love_turtles Rookie

Jul 25, 2007

Even my 1st graders were required to stand straight and quiet, facing the flag, with their right hand over their heart during the anthem. They also all knew the Pledge of Allegiance and how to show respect toward our flag. The only exception were the children whose parents had previously told me of religious or other beliefs and then those students were still required to stand or sit quietly until we were finished.

25. Terrence

Terrence Comrade

Jul 25, 2007

Yeah, I won't be too strict on the fiddling part as long as it's not disruptive or distracting. I too tend to fiddle with things after a while. If I don't notice it, then fiddle away! lol.

26. Terrence

Terrence Comrade

Jul 25, 2007

Oh! How could I forget- GUM! NOOOOOOOOOOO GUUUUUUUUMMMMM! I can't stand it! It drives me crazy when they chew it! Not to mention when they stick it places it shouldn't be. I will let them know up front that if they want to chew gum in my class, they will be scraping gum off the ground and walls during their passing period! I went out and bought rubber gloves and spatulas for this very reason. I am hoping that after one or two incidents, they will get the message. I've developed an eye for gum. No matter how well you try to hide it, I can always tell.

27. lorac

lorac Rookie

Jul 25, 2007

Last year, my kids were reading my e-mails, playing with things on my desk, etc. I want to crack down big time this year. I want to try to rearrange my room so that my desk is not in the open as much as it is now. That desk is MY space and anything ON it or on the computer is for my eyes only.

28. WindyCityGal606

Jul 25, 2007

Oh, you need to nip that immediately! I tell the kids I don't go in your desk, you stay away from mine. I absolutely cannot stand students near my desk. If you see me at my desk it's because I'm busy and you are supposed to be also!! I'm not one of those "Hey, let's all gather by my desk and hang out because I'm needey for you to be buddies with!" Heck NO!! Get away!! (Sounds like I don't like them....I do...but I have my ME space and they know it.)

29. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jul 25, 2007

NOBODY in my room (that includes myself, the students, any interns, student teachers, etc.) is allowed to say "shut up." I find it highly disrespectful, and it is not tolerated.
    I'm also very strict about the restroom line. My room backs up to the boys bathroom, and there's a red rail in the hall since it is on a slope. Students always like to lean on it and twist it, but it makes a HORRIBLE noise inside my room and distracts my class. I'm constantly out there at the beginning of the year making kids step away from the rail...

30. WindyCityGal606

Jul 25, 2007

I was never allowed to use the words shut up as a kid, I don't allow my daughter to use it and I let my students know I had better not hear it either. I really was convinced as a child that it is one of the rudest things you can say and as an adult, I believe it is. There are ways to ask someone to be quiet without attacking them verbally!!:hugs:

31. TulipsGirl

TulipsGirl Cohort

Jul 25, 2007

My parents were very strict about the language we used. I don't remeber there even being a consequence. They never used foul language themselves while we were growing up, so that spoke volumes. They taught us that what you say to others has a tremendous effect on them and their impression of you. So I do believe that "shut up" can very hurtful, and I don't allow it in my room either.

32. apple25

apple25 Comrade

Jul 26, 2007

no - it's not having a cafeteria because we are a small school thing!! We have hot lunches on other days too, but usually they are done correctly.

re: desks
    I do let the kids use my desk during tests - sometimes it is hard to to put them in places where they can't see other papers, but they had better not be rooting on fiddling with my papers. And do not be looking into my day planner, and if you even think of opening the filing cabinent . . . .!!! Sometimes they can be bold as brass - I agree with firm boundaries. I can't imagine into email?? Wow!

33. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 26, 2007

This says it for me as well. I can be pretty flexible about a lot of things, but not these.

34. lorac

lorac Rookie

Jul 26, 2007

Let me clarify.... they were reading my e-mail over my shoulder. I never caught anyone opening my e-mail and using it. But sometimes the kids would just plop in my seat if I wasn't sitting there and start using my Internet instead of the other computers. Also, most of this activity was in a very small (4-8 students depending on the day) study hall. I was too lenient in the beginning since it was such a small class and they kinda ran with it. I plan to not allow it this year and hope I can rearrange my desk so that my computer can't be seen by the kids in the back row, etc.

35. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jul 26, 2007

I have a lot of similar ones to everyone else
    --talking or smiling at friends during the moment of silence
    --any form of bullying. I have posters up to remind students and will confront even the slightest form of it if I hear about it.
    --cheating
    --talking during announcements (that's when I go into my rant about the announcer talking to THEM... blah blah blah.)

36. kyblue07

kyblue07 Companion

Jul 26, 2007

My sentiments exactly Zoe!

37. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 26, 2007

I expect a quiet, peaceful classroom and respect for one another.

38. LA/FLnewbie

LA/FLnewbie Companion

Jul 28, 2007

I graduated from Providence in 2003 -- fire drills are still no joke. Thank you for reminding me about this, I will tell this story to my students so they understand why it is so serious.

Also, I think NO THROWING -- anything! -- is important. I was a student teacher last year and my co-teacher didn't mind if students tossed wadded up paper or whatever into the trash from their desks. When I started teaching, I instinctively started telling kids not to throw anything, because I felt it was rude, distracting, and made it harder to enforce when other stuff (pencils, etc) that could be dangerous were tossed (not at me or a student, but to share or what have you). Of course the students thought I was being ridiculous...what do you all think?

39. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Jul 28, 2007

I am strict about a few things, do NOT sit in my chair, it is mine, I bought it with my money and I dont' feel like sharing, EVER! Dont go near or touch anything on my desk EVER. And no eating or drinking (save water in a bottle with a low flow lid) EVER. I don't like bugs or mice and I teach in an old building.....I won't invite them to move from the walls to my classroom.

Also I will not spend 15 mins while a student decides if they need a pencil, need it sharpened etc. And telling me 20 min into class they haven't done anything because they don't have a pencil will send me right over the edge! :eek:

One last thing, no picking on anyone for any reason in any way. I don't ask, I don't warn, I just say you will leave my classroom now. PERIOD. Every student is there to learn and not one student is there to be insulted, put down or humiliated. I may not always be able to stop it in the hall, but I will be darned if it will happen in my room!

40. wig

wig Devotee

Jul 28, 2007

Never, under any circumstances, hand me or put on my desk, papers, notes, money, etc. Assignments have their own slots and I have a box for money and notes from parents.

I confess to having a cluttered desk at times and things could potentially get lost there and putting things in my hand runs the risk of being put down someplace without my thinking about it.

41. WindyCityGal606

Jul 28, 2007

I also refuse to have anything handed to me. I am not your secretary!! Put it where it belongs. Everything in my room has a place. End of story!
    It's funny because when I check in papers and someone's is missing, I ask ASAP for it and the child will say, I handed it to you. My response is, "That was a mistake. Do I have it now?" They see that I'm serious about putting them in the proper boxes because if you hand stuff to me, I am not going to walk to the proper box and place it in there for you. Isn't gonna happen. (Hey! At least I KNOW that about myself, right? LOL) It's like talking to me when I preoccupied....I don't listen. I will not even remember you spoke to me!:huh: