What are you reading?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Hoot Owl, Mar 2, 2008.

1. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Mar 29, 2008

Right now I'm "reading" the seventh Harry Potter book. I say "reading" because I am actually listening to it in my car. I LOVE IT.

2. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Mar 29, 2008

Just finished "Loser" by Jerry Spinelli for our school Battle of the Books, and going to start the new Jodi Piccoult book, "Change of Heart".

3. TXTCHR29

TXTCHR29 Cohort

Mar 30, 2008

I agree, I also enjoy YA books. They also help me to relate to my students and help to faciliate classroom discussions. I'm able to make connections to books on their level and maybe introduce them to some books they might have not otherwise read.

4. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Mar 30, 2008

Nothing dorky about it. Before Loser, I read Running Out of Time and Kensuke's Kingdom, both YA books, and I loved them!

5. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Mar 30, 2008

There was a stretch of years when all I read was YA books (I was out of college) because none of the adult fiction was interesting to me. Sometimes I think YA fiction trumps adult fiction in many ways: character development, plot development, uniqueness of story lines to name a few. I have Memory Keeper's Daughter in my ToRead pile. Right now I'm working on City of Fallen Angels. It's written by the author of Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil so I am just eating this one up. I am also going to start Painless Grammar tonight. I need the help.

6. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Mar 31, 2008

Lifetime is going to have the premiere of the movie, Memorykeeper's Daughter, I think some time this week or weekend.

7. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Mar 31, 2008

I just finished Water for Elephants and I LOVED it!

8. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Mar 31, 2008

I just finished Sisters by Danielle Steel, it was really good. I also just finished Cross by James Patterson. That was a good one too!

9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 31, 2008

I started reading The Adventures of Lucky Pierre. It was seriously way beyond my reading level, so I had to stop. I felt so dumb reading it. :(

Instead, I'm now reading A Thousand Splendid Suns or something like that. It seems good so far.

10. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Mar 31, 2008

I'm glad a came across this. I was working on a slide show presentation for the last hour & I need to go finish THE WEDDING by Nicholas Sparks.... the book after the Notebook!!!

11. bluelightstar

bluelightstar Companion

Mar 31, 2008

I'm reading Alias Grace by Margaret Atwood. Can't believe I never took the time to read this novel.

12. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Apr 5, 2008

I am now reading a book called "Starbucked", all about the coffee phenomenon that is going on. I did not think I would like it as much as I do. At the same time (hey, it's Spring Break and I have to read as much for ME as I can this week!), I am reading "Amazing Grace" by Danielle Steele, cause her books are just so light and easy to get through.

13. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Apr 6, 2008

I am reading Whitethorn Woods by Maeve Binchy. She develops her characters very slowly but once you get into them, it's terrific. If you like Irish settings, her books are good.

14. muinteoir

muinteoir Companion

Apr 6, 2008

I just finished The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield. Interesting twists to the plot.

I'm starting Burning Bright by Tracy Chevelier - Lover her!

15. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Apr 6, 2008

I loved :wub: this book. If you like this, you might like Slammerkin by Emma Donoghue and The Dress Lodger by Sheri Holman.

16. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Apr 6, 2008

If you liked the Notebook read the Wedding...very good. On to another Nicholas Sparks...Dear John!!!

17. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Apr 7, 2008

Just started Tell No One, by Harlan Coben. Promises to be a good mystery/thriller.

18. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Apr 7, 2008

There are so many books that I loved, Glass Castle, Water for Elephants, Thousand Splendid Suns

I am reading Time Traveler's Wife right now. After that Boleyn Girl, and then secret life of bees again

19. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Apr 7, 2008

Finished Amazing Grace, nice and easy reading! Now starting "Last Night at the Lobster". Anyone read it??

20. Ms. Geography

Ms. Geography Comrade

Apr 7, 2008

Currently reading...

Mariah Stewart - Last breath; I have waiting to be read JD Robb - Creation in Death; Michelle Richmond - Year of Fog and James Patterson - Double Cross. I'm really hooked on Sue Grafton - the Kensey Millhone Mysteries...I've order via ebay all the ones that are hard to find and have completed A - T in her series (love them). They are all set in the 80's and leave you waiting for the next book. Lisa Scottoline is also a good writer if you are into legal/mystery/thriller type books.

21. Ms. Geography

Ms. Geography Comrade

Apr 7, 2008

PS: I'm taking notes for my next collection of books to read!

22. old-new teacher

old-new teacher Comrade

Apr 7, 2008

I recently read Duma Key by Stephen King. I really liked it, but I just don't have time to read right now!:( Both of my sons are in baseball and one of them is in track right now too. Add that to PTO, being the teacher liason for our school board, volunteering for our church's Jr High youth group, etc etc etc I don't dare start a book right now! I'm ready for summer!

23. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Apr 8, 2008

I started Musicphilia and The Other Boleyn Girl last night. I'd rather read than eat!

Love looking at what every one else is reading and building my lists for next time I get new books. I make a wish list on Amazon and my family always orders books for me from the list. They used to have such a hard time buying something for me because I have such eccentric tastes, and I just don't need much "stuff" any more.

24. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Apr 8, 2008

Finally finished Hitler's Willing Executioners and started Big Fish. Also reading City of Fallen Angels. After those I have some Jane Austen books I've never read as well as her letters, a bio of Charles Schultz, and a non-fiction book about the signers of the Declaration or forefathers--can't remember the title of that one.

25. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Apr 8, 2008

Curious about City of Fallen Angels. I loved Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, but don't want to be let down by a same author book that isn't as good.

Inspired to go to the used book store today after reading this post last night. Bought all hardbacks! Nice mix of books.

Harlan Coben, Jennifer Crusie, Mary Higgins Clark, one of the China Bayles mysteries, and "Eat This Not That: Food Swaps that can something something about losing weight".

I LOVE reading books, but I also kinda like eating, too! Maybe just reading about losing weight will help me drop some pounds.

26. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Apr 8, 2008

I just finished 19 Minutes by Jodi Picoult - loved it!!! and I now have Salem Falls on my nightstand. I am also reading a few magazines, Health, Self, and Rachel Ray. There are also several other books, but I haven't read any of them yet so no opinions.

27. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Apr 11, 2008

I have to correct myself. The book is titled City of Falling Angels, not fallen. And so far, there is no disappointment. His writing style is just at captivating and the characters he meets just as eclectic.

28. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Apr 11, 2008

Somebody (I can't remember who) mentioned reading a series of books that are set in biblical times, early AD perhaps. I think it must have been on another similar thread because I can't find the post on this one anywhere. If you are that poster, could you please tell me again the name of the series and author? silly me did not write this information down anywhere.

29. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Apr 12, 2008

That book is so good and so very true. However not well recieved in Germany. When I was living in Germany it came out and it wasn't safe for us to go downtown, all the WWII vets were protesting the book and it got really crazy.

If you have ever been to any of the camps, you will know there is now way people didn't know. If you even think about the fact that that every factory in Germany, and eventually in the occupied lands were converted to war time activity, then you would realize that the people who were buying fine furniture, silver, fur coats, and nice clothes had to know where those goods were coming from. It makes it easier for people to think they didn't know anything or didn't have a choice, it is just a bald face lie.

I just got done reading Hamiliton, the recent biography of Alexander Hamilton, and it was fabalous!!!! It really laid out his wonderful contribution to the foundation of this country and the book seperates out all of the Federalist/Anti-Federalist arguments that was all over the press at that time. He really was a remarkable man, with some glaring faults, but I have a new respect for him. Did you know our economy, military and navy & coast guard still run on the foundation that he laid?

I am going to start How the West Was Lost next. I want to read the other boylen girl but I cannot get the copy out of the library!!

(Yes the history teacher reads history books to relax, what is worse, I like to read them while watching the history channel or discovery!!!)

GEEK ALERT!

:haha:

30. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Apr 12, 2008

And you put me to shame!

I started a hysterical book last night - Julie and Julia: 365 Days, 524 Recipes, 1 Tiny Apartment Kitchen: How One Girl Risked Her Marriage, Her Job, & Her Sanity to Master the Art of Living. It isn't a short book, but I bet I finish it by tonight. (Vacuuming? What's that?)

31. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Apr 12, 2008

Barnes & Noble had a buy two get one free sale last week. I bought only from the bargain section. Free shipping, too. Very nice.

32. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Apr 13, 2008

This doesn't surprise me really. The whole time I was reading I just kept wondering how the German populace reacted to the book. The edition I bought has an Appendix about all the negative press and media attention given the book in Germany before it was acutally released there and contrasts that with the reaction of the people after they had a chance to read the German edition. It sounded like many people (not all necessarily) had positive reactions to the book because someone was finally telling the truth. I still wonder what they think today and if the antisemtism is still as widespread.

33. MissBee06

MissBee06 Rookie

Apr 14, 2008

I think the series is the Mark of the Lion by Francine Rivers. I love all of her books, but these are great!

34. KDS

KDS Companion

Apr 14, 2008

i am pushing to read Wicked. It is very wordy!!!!!!!

but on the plane ride from $&*#&@ last week (love American Airlines) i read the latest Maximum Ride book by James Patterson...its sort of a YA book, but i enjoy them.

35. teacheratheart

teacheratheart Companion

Apr 14, 2008

Wicked is awesome!! Stick it out if you can. I loved that book.

I tried to read Then We Came to the End by Joshua Ferris or Harris or something like that. It's supposed to be this funny book about people in an ad agency getting laid off one by one. I didn't find it funny at all. It was actually pretty depressing and I know part of that feeling has to do with the trouble we are having now in the economy.

36. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Apr 14, 2008

I'm about 1/3 of the way through Wicked. It gets better as you get farther into it. I am finding it a slow read though.

37. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Apr 14, 2008

That's it! Thank you thank you thank you! I wrote it down this time.:2up:

38. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Apr 16, 2008

I love "woman's" novels-very lighthearted and quick reads. I just finished "The Winding Ways Quilt" by Jennifer Chiaverinni and I am now reading "Firefly Lane" by Kristen Hannah. The first is book mentioned is, I believe, the 10 book in that series. The second book is fabulous-starts in the 70's and progresses through the 90's. Great reads!!!!

39. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Apr 17, 2008

wldywall

Who was the author of the Hamilton book you read?

40. ~mrs.m~

~mrs.m~ Comrade

Apr 17, 2008

I am reading Tuesdays with Morrie. I know it has been around for a long time but I am just now getting to it. My college daughter read it as a 7th grader and loved it. I have enjoyed Mitch Albom's other books.