What are you reading?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by runsw/scissors, Apr 11, 2014.

1. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Oct 24, 2014

I just finished The Book Thief. It took me a while to get into it, but the ending was good.

I put Outlander on 'pause' while I read The Book Thief, so I'm excited to get back into it!

2. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Oct 24, 2014

Just finished Wild (about the lady that hiked the PCT. Reading a Streisand biography. I love her movies and songs but she is a trip.

3. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Oct 24, 2014

I just got Outlander on E-loan from the library. It took forever to get since there were tons of holds. I only have 2 weeks to read it so I probably wont' finish it. I think I'll put the actual book on hold at the library too then put it in my e-book queue again after I return it. :dizzy:

4. a2z

a2z Maven

Oct 24, 2014

Our library has 2 week e-loans but I find that even after the loan it doesn't come off my ereader. I have to physically delete it. I also don't get charged.

I never realized that until I took too long to read a book. I'd always delete it off of my device when I finished reading it and never made it past the 2 week mark. You might want to check out a test book to see if the same thing happens for you.

5. Roobunny

Roobunny Comrade

Oct 24, 2014

I'm currently reading 3 books right now. I totally "get" it :thumb:

6. Roobunny

Roobunny Comrade

Oct 24, 2014

Almost finished with Wonder and I'm going to need something more "adult" for my next read.

I'm thinking of reading Mystic River. I've never read a Lehane novel before, but I watched this movie years ago and remember really enjoying it.

Has anyone that has read any of his books care to share their thoughts?

7. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Oct 25, 2014

I enjoyed Lehanes's books, but it has been awhile, so I don't remember my favorite.

8. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Oct 25, 2014

The book opens in the browser on my NOOK. When it's expired it says it can no longer be found and is deleted from my bookshelf. It might depend on what library service is used. This one is called Overdrive. It will give you a warning when it's almost due and you can renew it but only if it has no holds. I just put it back on hold if I can't renew it. I have tons of books (downloaded free) anyway so it's no big deal.

9. a2z

a2z Maven

Oct 25, 2014

I think the difference is the device. Our library uses Overdrive also. I have a Kindle - not the fire. I keep Wi-Fi-off most of the time and only turn it on to download books. That may be the difference or it just may be that it is Kindle instead of Nook.

So sorry. I love the fact that I can keep that book longer without having to worry about finishing. Most times I finish on time, but it is nice to not worry about it.

10. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Oct 25, 2014

It's ok. I keep track of what i'm reading on Goodreads so I can remember which ones to take out again. It also saves my page when I check it out again so I don't have to worry about where I left off.

11. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Oct 29, 2014

I am rereading HP Goblet of Fire and liking it much more the second time around. I am also reading Solomon's Oak. So far it is pretty good. I'll let you know what I think when I'm done, but it feels fairly predictable. My book group has selected to read "Leaving Time" by Jodi Picault next. I'm not a huge fan of hers, but I am going to give it an honest try. Has anyone else read this?

12. Appledash

Appledash New Member

Oct 31, 2014

I'm reading "If there be thorns" by VC Andrews. I love so many of her books, but after reading some of the more recent stuff I realized I liked her early stuff better (well, maybe I mean I like the stuff she actually wrote better...apparently they are still publishing new books in her name even though she died years ago...I found that strange. But I guess they do that now.)

13. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Nov 3, 2014

Just started "Red Rising" by Pierce Brown

14. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Nov 3, 2014

Reading Fractured, the second book in the Slated series.

15. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Nov 3, 2014

Yeah, her early stuff was so good. I don't remember which books I read when I was in high school besides Flowers in the Attic but I do know I couldn't put them down.

16. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Nov 3, 2014

Just finished And the Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini (Kite Runner). It was absolutely fabulous.

17. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Dec 1, 2014

I'm about 200 pages into Outlander. It's due back at the library on Dec. 7th so I better hurry up! I also have the ebook on hold even if I have to return the actual book I can still get it read quickly.

18. nstructor

nstructor Cohort

Dec 1, 2014

Unbroken is a novel everyone should read!

19. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Dec 1, 2014

I've just discovered a very light, enjoyable author, Beth Harbison, who wrote Shoe Addicts Anonymous. I found it at our library's book sale, but I'll go purchase some of her other titles.

20. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 1, 2014

I'm reading Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout. It won a Pulitzer. She wrote Amy & Isabelle,which was awesome.

21. heatherberm

heatherberm Cohort

Dec 1, 2014

I just finished the third book in the Outlander series and while I've mostly enjoyed them, that one got a little over the top crazy for me - I mean, how many shipwrecks can two people survive? - so I'm taking a break from the series and reading Amy Poehler's book which is a comfortable, enjoyable read so far.

22. WarriorPrncss

WarriorPrncss Companion

Dec 2, 2014

I just finished We Are Liars by E. Lockhart. It got great reviews, but I thought it was a bit slow. Great twist... but a slow workup to it.

23. stargirl

stargirl Companion

Dec 2, 2014

I am rereading Broken Harbor by Tana French. I read her newest book when it came out this summer and it made me want to go back and reread her other books! One thing I really like her about her books is that, while they are in no way sequels, each book's main character was a minor character in a previous book. Anyway I tend to read a lot of "old" books, but she's definitely one of my favorite contemporary authors. I can't recommend her books enough!

24. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Dec 5, 2014

Solomon's Oak turned out to be really good and not as predictable as I thought it would be. I want to find the sequel and read it as well. I also recently finished Me Before You. That one gets four out of five stars from me. It was very thought provoking without being heavy.

25. bekkilyn

bekkilyn Rookie

Dec 5, 2014

Although much of my fun reading has been on pause due to school projects and exams, I have been reading Cold Days by Jim Butcher, The Sword and Sorcery Anthology edited by David G. Hartwell, and How to Study as a Mathematics Major by Lara Alcock.

26. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Dec 6, 2014

Before I Go to Sleep by S. J. Watson.

I'm about halfway, but I really like it. The main character has the style of amnesia that Lucy has in 50 First Dates. Her brain resets every day.

27. kellzy

kellzy Comrade

Dec 6, 2014

The Great and Terrible series.

It's LDS fiction, so if you're not into religious fiction, I wouldn't suggest it, but if you are, it's the best religious fiction book I've ever read.

28. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Dec 21, 2014

The Steve Jobs biography by Walter Isaacson. Really interesting.

29. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 21, 2014

Bridge of Sighs by Richard Russo. He is the awesome author of Empire Falls. This one is a nice big book, one I can savor for days and days.

30. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 21, 2014

I was searching for this thread the other day! Now that I can do a bit of fun reading, I'm going to start the book, "The New Lean for Life."

31. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Dec 21, 2014

I'm halfway through Outlander. I keep getting interupted my my husband and dog when they're hungry :lol: I guess I lose track of time when I'm reading!

32. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Dec 21, 2014

I've been reading and reviewing like crazy over the last couple of weeks. My inbox was flooded with Christmas novellas. I typically hate novellas, but luckily some of them have been decent!

I'm going to start The Rosie Effect tonight or tomorrow. It is the sequel to The Rosie Project. It is another read/review for me, but the book does release on the 30th. This is why I put up with some annoying read/reviews- so I get advance FREE copies of books I actually want to read!

33. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 22, 2014

I brought home 10 books from school that we'll be using for a student book club starting in January--I'm the advisor for the club, so I like to pre-read all of the books. Most are pretty quick reads and a few sound really, really good.

34. smalltowngal

Dec 22, 2014

I'm reading the Outlander too!! I'm enjoying it so much! But my pups and daughter do the same thing!

35. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Dec 22, 2014

I finally finished this morning. I put the next one on hold at the library but it might be a while before I get it.

36. smalltowngal

Dec 22, 2014

I still have about 400 pages left to go in the first one. It's hard to put down!

37. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Dec 22, 2014

Finished The Magicians by Lev Grossman recently and was surprised how much I enjoyed it (some of my friends found it wearisome). Next, I'm hoping to get my hands on the sequel and perhaps go back to read Till We Have Faces, a C.S. Lewis novel I recently recommended to a student.

38. olivecoffee

olivecoffee Companion

Dec 29, 2014

I just went to the library today to get some PD and leisure books. Now that I've finally graduated, I have time to read!

I'm reading The Daily 5 because I've not ever read it and I applied for a 3rd grade position. For leisure, I'm reading The Last Threshold by RA Salvatore.

I plan on re-reading the HP books because they are a favorite.

39. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Dec 29, 2014

I just finished The King's Curse about Margaret Pole. It was excellent.

Not sure what's up next.

40. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Dec 29, 2014

I'm reading The King's Curse and The Cinderella Murder. I have the 2nd Outlander book on hold at the library so hopefully I can start that one soon.