What are you reading?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by runsw/scissors, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Apr 24, 2014

I haven't read any of those, but I'll look into them. Thanks for the recommendation!

2. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Apr 24, 2014

I am reading Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet. It is about a Chinese boy growing up in Seattle during WWII. He befriends a Japanese girl from a nearby neighborhood and has to deal with the whole evacuation issue. I'm about half way through and can't set it down.

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Apr 25, 2014

Oooh, that sounds great. I'll look for that at the library. I'm reading the latest Wally Lamb book. I always check the new arrivals at the library first. I can't afford to buy books.

4. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Apr 28, 2014

When I was in high school I read Spring Moon. It was the first time I ever heard of foot binding and thought it was very interesting.

5. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Apr 28, 2014

Right now I am reading Hollow City which is the sequel to Miss Peregine's Home for Peculiar Children. It's a little slow at the start but I read great reviews so I can't wait to get more into it.

I just started using the Kindle app on a tablet and am downloading free books from Book Bub. It's a site where you sign up and they email you deals on books. Otherwise, I go to the library. I find myself having to read quickly because I don't want a library fine :lol:

6. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Apr 28, 2014

I can't wait to start reading Hollow City! The first book was really good. It started rather slow as well, so I know I can hang in there with Hollow City. Actually, I've already started reading it---at the grocery store! Sweets and I were nearly done when he remembered something he wanted to pick up (in the back of the store) so I waited up front by the books and started reading Hollow City.

7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Apr 28, 2014

Lisa See is a great writer of fiction set in Asian culture. Shanghai Sisters is a fantastic book.

8. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Apr 29, 2014

I love the pictures! They are so creepy!

9. chemnerd19

chemnerd19 Companion

Apr 30, 2014

I am just starting Behind the Beautiful Forevers by Katherine Boo. It is is about poverty in India.

10. TamaraF

TamaraF Companion

May 1, 2014

I haven't read Hollow, but I loved the first one. My reading buddy says Hollow is not as good...
    I am in the midst of catching up with my students, so I'm reading a ton of YA. "Fault in our Stars" was good. "Everyday" was awesome. I'm re-reading "Gone Girl" so I'm ready for the movie!

11. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

May 1, 2014

Here, There, Elsewhere: Stories from the Road by William Least Heat Moon

12. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

May 7, 2014

Has anyone read The Kite Runner? I picked it up at the library a couple weeks age, and I am finding it to be a very difficult book to read. Absolutely heartbreaking. Please tell me there is a light at the end of this tunnel, there is some good in this story, or I may just return the book.

13. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

May 8, 2014

Oh, Runs, you HAVE to finish it. Yes, it is heart breaking, but there is good to the book. I cried and cried as I read it, but it is one of my favorite books. I simply could not put it down. I just read it this past January…picked it up because my mom told me to read it. I am so glad I did.

14. underthesun

underthesun Rookie

May 8, 2014

Yes, yes! You absolutely MUST finish it! That was one of the assigned books I had to read back in high school, but it was honestly one of my favorite assigned books I've ever read. It's heartbreaking, yes, but it's worth it to read until the end!

15. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

May 9, 2014

I finished Hollow City. I agree it was slow in the beginning but it really picked up like the last one and the ending is set up for the 3rd book. Can't wait for that.

I just picked up Dark Places by Gillian Flynn so I will start that tonight.

16. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

May 10, 2014

I can't wait to read Hollow City. Let us know what you think of Dark Places. Gone Girl made me really angry so I'm skittish about picking up any of her other books.

17. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jun 6, 2014

Dark Places was really good. Why did Gone Girl make you angry? I don't want to ask anything specific to spoil it in case others haven't read it.
    Last week I read Heiresses by Sara Shepard (the author of Pretty Little Liars). It was an ok book and fairly quick read.

Has anyone read the Odd Thomas books? I saw the movie on Netflix and got the 2nd book from the library so I will start that soon. I have been loving checking out e-books from the library. I'm only allowed to borrow 3 at a time though but have them for 2 weeks.

18. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jun 6, 2014

I'm reading Before I Fall. It's a YA book. Kind of a Groundhog Day thing. Girl dies but keeps coming back to relive part of her life. I'm not very far yet.

19. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Jun 6, 2014

Winger by Andrew Smith. It's YA Fiction and pretty good thus far.

20. teachsph2008

teachsph2008 Companion

Jun 6, 2014

I'm reading Still Missing

21. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jun 6, 2014

I don't know how to answer you question without spoiling it for others. Feel free to PM me.

22. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jun 8, 2014

It's my favorite way to check out books! I don't have to worry about returning them & having a fine! :lol::lol::lol:

23. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jun 8, 2014

Well, the first book I checked out I only had for 7 days because I didn't know you could change the setting to 14 days! I was reading it and then they took it back and I wasn't done! I had to recheck it out but had to put it on hold and didn't get it back until 3 weeks later. Now I have books for 2 weeks so that's better. I have 3 checked out right now which is the limit. I have also been downloading free books from BookBub so I have about 25 on my Kindle app hahahaha I really love going to the library but at this rate I might never have to go again!!

24. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 8, 2014

I'm reading The Other Boleyn Girl. Loving it.

25. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jun 8, 2014

I recently finished The Goldfinch and was glad I did... It was looonnggg though. Now I'm reading One Hundred Years of Solitude, and back in the spring I read The Signature of All Things (which I loved, except for the sex stuff) & Unbroken which is going to be a movie this December directed by Angelina Jo Lee. In my stack I have The Outsiders, The Winter Sea, Copper Sun, Zen & the Art of Motorcycle Repair, & The Beautiful Creatures series.

26. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jun 8, 2014

You'll have to read Lisa See's Shanghai Girls, Peony in Love, and this fall she's releasing China Dolls. Shanghai Girls is one of my favorites.

27. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jun 8, 2014

I thought The Goldfinch really picked up after about 300 pages LOL but it was worth it. I had to pay a fine at the library since it took me so long to read it (and I took it out twice)!!

28. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jun 8, 2014

She's my favorite author!

I'm onto Wine and War now about French winemaking during WWII.

29. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jun 8, 2014

The Other Boleyn Girl is one of the few I have not read by that author. I really have loved all of them.

30. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 8, 2014

She is very good. I was up til 2 am Fri night.

31. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jun 8, 2014

Just finished The House Girl by Tara Conklin. It reminded me some of The Invention of Wings.

I am also working on Your Inner Fish, but it is slower going for me.

32. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jun 20, 2014

I just started reading The Chase by
    Janet Evanovich and Lee Goldberg. It's really good so far. The first book in the series, The Heist, was also good. I just noticed a new Stephanie Plum book is out. I put the ebook on hold at the library. Can't wait to get it!!

33. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 20, 2014

I love Lisa See and Gail Tsukiyama, as well as both of their books mentioned above.

I read Anna Quindlen's, Still Life With Bread Crumbs, yesterday. It was wonderful.

34. 4815162342

4815162342 Companion

Jun 20, 2014

I'm reading the 4th book in the Collapse series. The 1st book is called State of Emergency and the goodreads snippet reads:
    it usually takes me about a day or two to read each book. Short and really keeps my attention.

35. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jun 21, 2014

I have a few books going.
    1) The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest-I'm only one chapter in and totally hooked. I think this will become a binger.
    2) Blindness-I think I will eventually fall in love with this book, but the writing style is taking some getting used to.
    3) Jane Austen Made Me Do It- This is a collection of short stories inspired by Jane's works (which I love). I am only reading it piecemeal as I have filler time but not enough to fall into one of the novels.

36. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Jun 21, 2014

Rereading an oldie-but-goodie - Madame Bovary.

37. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Jun 21, 2014

I'm reading The Girl With All The Gifts. I'm about 3/4 through and I like it so far.

38. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 21, 2014

With school finishing on Thursday, I need to pop into our Book Room and pick out some novels to preread for Literature Circles next year.

39. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Jun 21, 2014

Love the suggestions! Keep them coming! I just bought a Kindle and have been downloading some books. I'm going on a long road trip next week and want to take plenty of reading with me. I love to read thrillers and mysteries so any you guys can recommend would be greatly appreciated!

40. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jun 22, 2014

If you sign up for BookBub you will get emails daily with free books (or really cheap) you can download. I have a ton of books on my tablet (I just use the Kindle app) and I have not had to go to the library in months. There's also the eReader café that has bargain and free books.