What are you reading?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by runsw/scissors, Apr 11, 2014.

1. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Oct 29, 2014

I am rereading HP Goblet of Fire and liking it much more the second time around. I am also reading Solomon's Oak. So far it is pretty good. I'll let you know what I think when I'm done, but it feels fairly predictable. My book group has selected to read "Leaving Time" by Jodi Picault next. I'm not a huge fan of hers, but I am going to give it an honest try. Has anyone else read this?

2. Appledash

Appledash New Member

Oct 31, 2014

I'm reading "If there be thorns" by VC Andrews. I love so many of her books, but after reading some of the more recent stuff I realized I liked her early stuff better (well, maybe I mean I like the stuff she actually wrote better...apparently they are still publishing new books in her name even though she died years ago...I found that strange. But I guess they do that now.)

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Nov 3, 2014

Just started "Red Rising" by Pierce Brown

4. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Nov 3, 2014

Reading Fractured, the second book in the Slated series.

5. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Nov 3, 2014

Yeah, her early stuff was so good. I don't remember which books I read when I was in high school besides Flowers in the Attic but I do know I couldn't put them down.

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Nov 3, 2014

Just finished And the Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini (Kite Runner). It was absolutely fabulous.

7. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Dec 1, 2014

I'm about 200 pages into Outlander. It's due back at the library on Dec. 7th so I better hurry up! I also have the ebook on hold even if I have to return the actual book I can still get it read quickly.

8. nstructor

nstructor Cohort

Dec 1, 2014

Unbroken is a novel everyone should read!

9. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Dec 1, 2014

I've just discovered a very light, enjoyable author, Beth Harbison, who wrote Shoe Addicts Anonymous. I found it at our library's book sale, but I'll go purchase some of her other titles.

10. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 1, 2014

I'm reading Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout. It won a Pulitzer. She wrote Amy & Isabelle,which was awesome.

11. heatherberm

heatherberm Cohort

Dec 1, 2014

I just finished the third book in the Outlander series and while I've mostly enjoyed them, that one got a little over the top crazy for me - I mean, how many shipwrecks can two people survive? - so I'm taking a break from the series and reading Amy Poehler's book which is a comfortable, enjoyable read so far.

12. WarriorPrncss

WarriorPrncss Companion

Dec 2, 2014

I just finished We Are Liars by E. Lockhart. It got great reviews, but I thought it was a bit slow. Great twist... but a slow workup to it.

13. stargirl

stargirl Companion

Dec 2, 2014

I am rereading Broken Harbor by Tana French. I read her newest book when it came out this summer and it made me want to go back and reread her other books! One thing I really like her about her books is that, while they are in no way sequels, each book's main character was a minor character in a previous book. Anyway I tend to read a lot of "old" books, but she's definitely one of my favorite contemporary authors. I can't recommend her books enough!

14. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Dec 5, 2014

Solomon's Oak turned out to be really good and not as predictable as I thought it would be. I want to find the sequel and read it as well. I also recently finished Me Before You. That one gets four out of five stars from me. It was very thought provoking without being heavy.

15. bekkilyn

bekkilyn Rookie

Dec 5, 2014

Although much of my fun reading has been on pause due to school projects and exams, I have been reading Cold Days by Jim Butcher, The Sword and Sorcery Anthology edited by David G. Hartwell, and How to Study as a Mathematics Major by Lara Alcock.