What are you reading?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by runsw/scissors, Apr 11, 2014.

1. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Oct 22, 2014

Currently teaching:
    Night by Wiesel
    1984 by Orwell
    And Then There Were None by Christie

Reading for fun:
    Don't Go. I think the author is Lisa someone?? I really like it. The writing isn't super great but the storyline is intriguing.

2. Roobunny

Roobunny Comrade

Oct 23, 2014

I'll be reading Dark Places soon. I've heard good things about it.

3. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Oct 23, 2014

I read that and I thought it was way better than Gone Girl. I just couldn't wait until the end to see what really happened.

4. Roobunny

Roobunny Comrade

Oct 23, 2014

I'm currently on a waiting list at the library for this tile. I can't wait until it becomes available!

5. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Oct 24, 2014

Haha yeah I hate that. I have waited as long as 6 months for a book I really wanted to read. People told me to just go buy it but I figured I could read other books in the meantime. I usually read 3 books at a time either an actual book or on my NOOK. Those non-readers just don't get it!! :lol:

6. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Oct 24, 2014

I just finished The Book Thief. It took me a while to get into it, but the ending was good.

I put Outlander on 'pause' while I read The Book Thief, so I'm excited to get back into it!

7. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Oct 24, 2014

Just finished Wild (about the lady that hiked the PCT. Reading a Streisand biography. I love her movies and songs but she is a trip.

8. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Oct 24, 2014

I just got Outlander on E-loan from the library. It took forever to get since there were tons of holds. I only have 2 weeks to read it so I probably wont' finish it. I think I'll put the actual book on hold at the library too then put it in my e-book queue again after I return it. :dizzy:

9. a2z

a2z Maven

Oct 24, 2014

Our library has 2 week e-loans but I find that even after the loan it doesn't come off my ereader. I have to physically delete it. I also don't get charged.

I never realized that until I took too long to read a book. I'd always delete it off of my device when I finished reading it and never made it past the 2 week mark. You might want to check out a test book to see if the same thing happens for you.

10. Roobunny

Roobunny Comrade

Oct 24, 2014

I'm currently reading 3 books right now. I totally "get" it :thumb:

11. Roobunny

Roobunny Comrade

Oct 24, 2014

Almost finished with Wonder and I'm going to need something more "adult" for my next read.

I'm thinking of reading Mystic River. I've never read a Lehane novel before, but I watched this movie years ago and remember really enjoying it.

Has anyone that has read any of his books care to share their thoughts?

12. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Oct 25, 2014

I enjoyed Lehanes's books, but it has been awhile, so I don't remember my favorite.

13. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Oct 25, 2014

The book opens in the browser on my NOOK. When it's expired it says it can no longer be found and is deleted from my bookshelf. It might depend on what library service is used. This one is called Overdrive. It will give you a warning when it's almost due and you can renew it but only if it has no holds. I just put it back on hold if I can't renew it. I have tons of books (downloaded free) anyway so it's no big deal.

14. a2z

a2z Maven

Oct 25, 2014

I think the difference is the device. Our library uses Overdrive also. I have a Kindle - not the fire. I keep Wi-Fi-off most of the time and only turn it on to download books. That may be the difference or it just may be that it is Kindle instead of Nook.

So sorry. I love the fact that I can keep that book longer without having to worry about finishing. Most times I finish on time, but it is nice to not worry about it.

15. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Oct 25, 2014

It's ok. I keep track of what i'm reading on Goodreads so I can remember which ones to take out again. It also saves my page when I check it out again so I don't have to worry about where I left off.