What are you reading?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by runsw/scissors, Apr 11, 2014.

1. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Apr 11, 2014

I thought we had this thread somewhere, but I can't find it so I am starting a new one. What books are you reading now or have finished recently?

I have been on a book binge this past month or so. I just finished The Rosie Project (which I loved) and am currently reading Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet. I am working on a book of devotions for Lent and have gardening books scattered about.

Hoot Owl likes this.
  3. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Apr 11, 2014

Since I got hired to teach 5th grade next year, I'm planning to read a lot of children's lit. I recently finished Wonder (loved it) and am now reading the first Harry Potter book. For some reason, I just never read that series (I'm a little embarrassed to admit that), so I am finally doing it. I love it so far, so I'm pretty excited. :)

4. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Apr 12, 2014

"First, Break All the Rules: What the World's Greatest Managers Do Differently"

Curt Coffman and Marcus Buckingham

5. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Apr 12, 2014

I also read The Rosie project and just finished the Invention of Wings. Need to see what on my iPad from the library for next up!

6. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Apr 12, 2014

I'm already looking to stock my summer reading pile-so this is a good thread for me (not a good one for my budget, but...:whistle:).

I read Claire of the Sea Light which I thought was extremely well-written-it was more like a bunch of short stories that were interconnected. I also read The Weight of Blood which I though had a lot of suspense. I am attempting to tackle a very heavy one now (both in size and depth) called The Woman Who Lost Her Soul.

7. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Apr 12, 2014

Ha! If I bought all the books I wanted to read I wouldn't be able to pay my mortgage and be homeless (then I would have nowhere to put my books LOLOL)! I have a bunch of books on hold at the library and downloaded on my tablet all ready for Spring break! Right now I'm reading The Winter People. Weird story but good so far.

8. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Apr 12, 2014

I've been collecting books for my summer, outdoor reading. I tend not to read on my kindle when I'm outside. Divergent, Mitch Albom's newest book and a few others are stacked on my dresser waiting.

9. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Apr 12, 2014

I'm in between books. Nothing has caught my eye unfortunately so I'm re-reading.

10. Glühwürmchen

Glühwürmchen Rookie

Apr 12, 2014

Technically it's for school, but currently I'm reading "The Reluctant Fundamentalist" by Mohsin Hamid. I love it so far.

I also have to read "Heart of Darkness" for the second time :|

11. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Apr 12, 2014

Lately, I've been reading youth literature based on what I'm teaching. Endless Steppe, code Talkers, garden of my Imaan, Breadwinner trilogy, and I'm starting Year of Impossible Goodbyes (also a group of 3 books). If anyone has used these in class, pm me.
    Soon I'll be starting my personal reading again. Have Princess, I'll be seeing you, the boy in the suitcase, thunderstruck, multiple exposure, and daddy's girl on the nightstand.
    Keep the ideas coming!

12. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Apr 12, 2014

I just finished Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys. It is a beautiful, quick read and I highly recommend the book. It is the best book I've read in a really, really long time.

I also recently read the Rose Gardner mystery series by Denise Grover Swank. They are a lot of fun. Sort of Stephanie Plum-ish (Janet Evanovich) only southern and with less crass. I liked the first one, but I wasn't totally in love with it. As I continued to read the series, I was completely enamored! I literally had a book hangover and couldn't read for days. (Which is very unlike me- in the summer I read 5-10 books per WEEK.) I'm counting down until the next one comes out in June. Twenty-Eight and a Half Wishes is the name of the first one.

13. ms.independent

ms.independent New Member

Apr 12, 2014

The Winter Palace by Eva Stachniak. I recommend it if you're into historical fiction. I've been itching to finish it but uni has been pretty full on lately!

14. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Apr 12, 2014

HP is hands down the best series I've read. I do a re-read every year. I'll start my annual reread next month to prepare for the Muggle Tour I'm taking in London this fall. I'm so excited!

15. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Apr 12, 2014

I also have a very tall stack of books on my dresser - some finished, some given up on for another book that came along, some waiting to be read.

I just reread Eleanor & Park (Rainbow Rowell) and I'm reading The Selection (Kiera Cass) now. I highly recommend the first if you love YA fiction/teen love stories. The verdict is still out on the second.

16. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Apr 12, 2014

I just finished Look At Me by Jennifer Egan. It was great. I'm reading Around the World in 80 Days with a student. It is not great.

17. scooter503

scooter503 Comrade

Apr 12, 2014

I am reading a lot of ya fiction. Currently working my way through the Witch and Wizard series (almost done with the third one). Also reading the Lost Files series that goes with I Am Number Four. And just about to start the sequel to The Compound by S.A. Bodeen.

Btw Giraffe, I also read Between Shades of Grey this year. Could hardly put it down. Also read Prisoner B-3087 and found it hard to put down.

18. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Apr 12, 2014

I'll have to look up the other one.
    I read Between Shades of Gray in two school days, so I obviously devoured it. I actually think I finished by 7 or 8 pm the second school day. I read at least 2/3 that first night! I have been recommending it to everyone!

19. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Apr 13, 2014

How cool! I finished The Sorcerer's Stone tonight, so now I'm moving on to Chamber of Secrets.

That looks really good! I've added it to my Amazon wish list. :)

20. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Apr 13, 2014

Ok, just put that on my Goodreads list! I love books that are part of a series. I can usually binge read a bunch of them on vacation.

21. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Apr 13, 2014

The first one is free via Amazon Kindle or iBooks!

22. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Apr 13, 2014

Right now, I'm reading Stephen Colbert's: America Again - Becoming the Greatness We Never Weren't. He's hilarious.

23. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Apr 13, 2014

I'm reading Insurgent and loving it!

24. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Apr 13, 2014

Just curious, how long does it take you to re-read the series every year?

25. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Apr 13, 2014

I am rereading the entire series as well. I've read all the books multiple times, but never in quick succession. Sweets bought me a box set with the new cover art for Christmas (my old copies are falling apart) and I am making my way through them. Her mastery of the writing craft amazes me. I love how she brings in all sort of references to other books and mythologies and often does it so subtly you almost don't catch them.

26. ms.independent

Apr 18, 2014

I read Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn after all the hype surrounding it. I liked it a lot! Plenty of twists and turns, written in an interesting way (don't want to go into detail so as not to spoil anything) and even though the ending was somewhat ambiguous, it was ultimately satisfying.

27. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Apr 18, 2014

I'm reading The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt. It is a really long book and I'm having trouble getting into it (only about 1/8 the way through) but it seems like it will be good. The only other book I have read by that author was The Secret History and that was fantastic so I have high hopes for this one.

28. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Apr 18, 2014

I really liked Gone Girl. I read it when it first came out so I guess I missed all the hype about it. I did enjoy the twists!

29. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Apr 18, 2014

All of Gillian Flynn's books are really good. Sharp Objects and Dark Places are the other two. Dark Places is also being made into a movie.

30. ms.independent

Apr 18, 2014

Awesome, I'll have to read those next!

31. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Apr 18, 2014

Me too. I will have to put them on my Goodreads list!

32. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Apr 18, 2014

I just wished she published more than once every 3 years! Sharp Objects- 2006, Dark Places- 2009, Gone Girl- 2012.
    I'm assuming (and hoping) that something new will be released in 2015.

33. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Apr 18, 2014

I know you didn't ask me, but I re-read the series every summer. It takes me 1-2 weeks. I'm a super fast reader. I read each book the same day it was released when they first came out.

34. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Apr 18, 2014

Just finished Whiskey Beach by Nora Roberts and I am halfway through The Time Keeper by Mitch Albom. It is very good. My next read is Killing Jesus by Bill O'Reilly.

35. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Apr 18, 2014

I'm in the middle of Twelve Years a Slave, and I'm struggling with it. The story is fascinating, but the writing style is very...dry. Typical of the era, but it reads so cold.

36. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Apr 18, 2014

The last time I read it I was sick so I was literally on my couch for two months. I read all seven books in two weeks. Normally, it would take me about six weeks, if I had to guess.

37. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Apr 18, 2014

I had a hard time, too. I kept having to tell myself 'it was written 150 years ago, it was written 150 years ago' when I found it difficult.

38. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Apr 24, 2014

I recently started ''Snowflower and the Secret Fan''after finding a copy in a used bookstore.I love books about asian culture, especially when it discusses foot binding.

39. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Apr 24, 2014

I've read that, and I feel the same way about Asian culture/foot binding books! I highly recommend Chinese Cinderella by Adeline Yen Mah. I read her autobiography, Falling Leaves, but it didn't grab me like the novel did. Also check out Ties That Bind, Ties That Break by Lensey Namioka.

40. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Apr 24, 2014

OMG, I read Chinese Cinderella as a teenager and loved it! I also really enjoyed the Joy Luck Club (only the movie, never read the book unfortunately). I'l have to check out the Ties that Bind. I think I saw it once on a shelf at a book store.

Have you read the YA book "Little Sister"? It doesn't mention foot binding since it takes place in Japan, but I loved that one too. I also loved "Shizuko's Daughter".

There was another one I loved, but I can't remember the name. It takes place in Korea I believe during the Rainy Season. A young boy loses his parents and comes to live at the protagonist (a young girl about his age) house.

41. nstructor

nstructor Cohort

Apr 24, 2014

I highly recommend-
    Me Before You and Reconstructing Emilia