What are you reading this summer?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Hoot Owl, Jun 16, 2009.

1. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jun 16, 2009

I just ordered these books from Amazon:

Outliers: The Story of Success
    The Red Tent: A Novel
    Excuses Begone!: How to Change Lifelong, Self-Defeating Thinking Habits
    A Little Something

3. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jun 16, 2009

I just finished "Fall On Your Knees" - which is long and a little hard to follow at times, but very disturbing (in a you really care about the characters and don't want to see them get hurt kind of way).

Ordered: Disquiet, Tale of Edgar Sawtelle, Haunted and something like "The True Story about Bottled Water" that comes out in July. I'm also reading Catcher in the Rye for my book club. We'll see how many I actually read - I'm on probation from Amazon for awile :whistle:.

4. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jun 16, 2009

I hope to read the Red Tent, too, Hoot!

I just finished My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult, because that's the one my book club is reading for June. We plan on seeing the movie together the 2nd week in July.

Then, I started Water for Elephants. I've tried to read that a couple of times, but the circus theme never interested me. Then, a friend told me I really MUST read it, it's so, so good....so now I'm perservering through it, and it's ok so far. I only started last night.

I plan on ordering You Can't Say You Can't Play and Fair Isn't Always Equal, too, along the education lines.

5. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 16, 2009

I need to read some classics. I read several of the "staples" of high school AP English, but can you believe I've never read The Grapes of Wrath, Great Expectations...lots of them?! I'd also like to reread some of those I read in high school like The Invisible Man, Heart of Darkness, and maybe even Crime and Punishment--that in particular because I don't know if I hated it so much in high school because it was truly terrible or I had a bad attitude about it.

So, let me decide now. Next week (crazy week this week) I'll start reading Great Expectations. I have a brand new copy on my to-read shelf so why not now? :)

Oh, speaking of high school English, one of my favorite short stories was Button Button by Matheson. Very simple, but I thought clever. Of course, this was almost a decade ago, so maybe it's better in my memory than in reality--that happens a lot with me. Anyway, I was just telling my sister about it because we were talking about short stories and come to find out there was a movie made based on the story. It's called The Box and it stars Cameron Diaz. I think it comes out later this year. I look forward to that. For the record, another favorite short story from high school is The Scarlet Ibis.

6. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Jun 16, 2009

The Cat who dropped a bombshell, Book of the Dead by Patricia Cornwell, another cat who book I missed the last few years, and I ordered Renegade about the Obama campaign from Amazon. I have decided to visit my local library this summer and read. They also have a great selection of used children's book to buy for only a fifty cent donation!

7. MS Candy

MS Candy Comrade

Jun 16, 2009

I just finished "In the heat of the night" Blair Underwood, I am reading "A Hundred years of Happiness" Nicole Seitz, I have waiting "Mirror Mirror" Gregory Maguire....for class I am reading-The family Experience, School, Family and Community Partnerships :)dizzy:)...
    I usually do the library and just go to the new book section and take a chance...:D

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 16, 2009

Just my GRE exam study books & my fashion & beauty magazines.

9. GD2BQN

GD2BQN Comrade

Jun 16, 2009

I am reading....

A Summer Affair. It's enticing!

10. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Jun 16, 2009

I am so glad you asked! I usually go on a reading binge every summer till I am sick of reading, and so far I am following suit.

I just discovered there are 2 new books in the series I love, The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency. So those will be next. I forced myself to read from another series by this author - Alexander McCall Smith - and accidentally chose the 4th book of the series. The series is 44 scotland Street. This series is so totally different than the Ladies' Detective Agency series, I had no idea I would be able to even read it. But I was in the library laughing out loud all by myself. Dry humor though. Now I am excited because I have a new series to read by a great writer.

:D I am amused and delighted by small things.

11. glen

glen Companion

Jun 16, 2009

12. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Jun 16, 2009

Good luck on your GRE!! My dd took it and said it was hard!

13. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Jun 16, 2009

I'm reading Tools for Teaching. Next I'm going to read some Blaine Ray books about how to teach using Total Physical Response Stories.

14. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jun 16, 2009

I have Water for Elephants on my shelf and never been able to get into, I ordered the other books this a.m. and guess I'll have to pick up Water for Elephants and try to read it while I'm waiting for my other books to come in.

15. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 16, 2009

I have reserved at the library:
    Let the Great World Spin

Admission

Provenance

Dreaming in Hindi

Right now I'm reading 'The Billionaire's Vinegar:The Mystery of the World's Most Expensive Bottle of Wine" and a Mary Higgins Clark one (she's from NJ- lives near me!)

I also want to finish a few professional books:
    Richard Allington: What Really Matters for Struggling Readers
    What Really Matters in Response to Intervention

That all will keep me busy for a short while...

16. mrsleapfrog

mrsleapfrog Companion

Jun 16, 2009

I am reading the latest from Charlaine Harris Aurora Teagarden series.

17. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Jun 16, 2009

Today I picked up the first book in the Left Behind series. I read half of it when it first came out, and I wasn't too into it. I really like book series so I'm going to give it another shot.
    There were so many books I wanted to buy, but I have about 10 new ones on my bookshelf that I haven't even read yet!

I read The Red Tent. My sister loved it but it actually disturbed me a little.

18. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jun 16, 2009

That describes me, too. This time, I'm a couple of chapters in and I am liking it better. But it's certainly not a book I can't put down.
    Kim

19. Irma

Irma Companion

Jun 16, 2009

I really enjoyed this book!

20. Irma

Irma Companion

Jun 16, 2009

Just finished...
    Loving Frank
    My Lobotomy
    Hope's Boy

It feels great- been eating up books one per week. Hoping to read Running with Scissors

21. Petite_Teacher

Petite_Teacher Companion

Jun 16, 2009

Sisters and Lovers by Connie Briscoe
    Addicted by Zane
    Practicing What You Preach by Vanessa Davis Griggs
    Sealed With A Kiss by Gwynne Foster
    Resurrecting Midnight by Eric Jerome Dickey (August 2009)
    Soul on Ice by Eldridge Cleaver

More to come as the library holds more books for me .... lol... :)

22. MissJennifer

MissJennifer Companion

Jun 17, 2009

Right now I'm reading The Year of Living Biblically by A.J. Jacobs - I'm a few chapters in and it's really great! I also have Water for Elephants on my shelf, but haven't gotten into it yet! I've got a list requested at the library, but can't remember what they are! My husband is also trying to get me to read Ender's Game - which is his favorite book - but I'm not usually into sci-fi, so we'll see! :)

23. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2009

I want to read A Year of Living Biblically, too. I am reading "The Literate Passion: Love Letters between Henry Miller and Anais Nin" right now. Then I think I am going to read the His Dark Materials books (The Golden Compass and those....) Then someone at school started a virtual book club via Blackboard, which I think is a great idea. For that we are reading People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks.

24. tiki7719

tiki7719 Companion

Jun 17, 2009

I'm reading autism books, since I'm enrolled in 2 autism classes this summer :) Very good, informative classes :)

I have a whole list of John Grisham books I would like to read. I haven't had any spare reading time due to my hectic schedule last year. Some of those are The Client, The Pelican Brief, The Firm.

I love the movie The Nanny Diaries, so I have some real life nanny books on my list. Just Like Family: Inside the Life of Nannies, the parents they work for and the children they love.

I want to also read 32 Third Graders and 1 Class Bunny.

25. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jun 17, 2009

I am rereading the First Six Weeks of School to refresh myself! For pleasure, I am reading a few Jodi Picoult books (love her) and a few more Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum books. I want to get to the Twilight series too. I will probably fit in a few more here and there-Beverly Lewis has several Amish based series, and I will try her latest. (I live in one of Ohio's Amish communities, and I relate to her books a lot!)

26. tiki7719

tiki7719 Companion

Jun 17, 2009

Can you please share the names of the books? I love reading about the Amish community.

My friends parents live right outside of Middlefield in the heart near the Amish community. I think its Burton and she drives the Amish to their appointments, etc. I love hearing the stories she has to tell of their lifestyle, etc.

27. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jun 17, 2009

I looked at Amazon's blurb on The Literate Passion, this is a true romance??

bonneb, I'm amused and delighted by small things too, I'm going to look into this series. I'm having a restless day today. I ordered some books from Amazon, they're not here yet, and I may run by the library to see what I can find there.

28. mrsleapfrog

mrsleapfrog Companion

Jun 17, 2009

I highly recommend this book. I read it and totally laughed out loud!:lol:

29. carlea

carlea Comrade

Jun 17, 2009

Professional lit: Mosaic of Thought, The Art of Teaching Reading, and I'm rereading my Units of Study for Writer's Workshop.
    For fun, easy reading, I'm reading a bunch of books for next year's classroom library: The Seven Serpents Trilogy by Scott O'Dell, Septimus Heap series.
    Adult reading: A Crack in the Edge of the World by Simon Winchester (about the 1906 San Francisco earthquake)

30. MS Candy

MS Candy Comrade

Jun 17, 2009

I read that book "The cat who dropped a bombshell" not too long ago-Spring Break I think-I loved it, I had never read a Cat book, I can't wait to read more of them....

31. iteachm123

iteachm123 Comrade

Jun 17, 2009

I ordered Bringing Up Boys by Dr. James Dobson and it should arrive very soon. I'm also thinking about ordering from Amazon another Dobson book: The New Strong Willed Child. I have 2 little boys with very strong and stubborn personalities. lol

32. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jun 17, 2009

I bought the book by James Dobson for my DIL, my grand daughter is one of the most strong-willed children I've ever seen, worse than her dad!!!:::eek: I think you'll enjoy them, I love J.D.

33. WannaTeach

WannaTeach Companion

Jun 17, 2009

It is a little difficult to say what I am reading for the summer. I read voraciously and rather fast. I try to cram as many books into a week as I can buy, borrow from the library or friends and family. Anything that isn't for k-2 kids. I love to read. I will reread all of my summer beach books. I have been looking for some new authors. My favorites are not writing fast enough. I would love recommendations.
    :p

34. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Jun 17, 2009

I love them! They are an easy read and I love the cats!!

35. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jun 17, 2009

I live in this area as well! I absolutely love it, and the Amish have been so friendly to my family.
    The author is Beverly Lewis, and she has written so many, I cannot remember the titles of all the series. However, the series I read last summer was "Abram's Daughters". There were 5 in the series. The latest series she has started begins with "The Secret".
    You would also love "Plain Truth" by Jodi Picoult. Outstanding book.

36. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Jun 18, 2009

My son LOVES the Left Behind series! Enjoy!

I'm a "skimmer" reader...it's hard for me to buckle down and read each sentence! But, I just finished rreading The Facts of Life and Other Lessons My Father Taught Me by Lisa Whelchel and enjoyed it immensely! :thumb:

I'll be starting another one by Lisa Whelchel, Creative Correction - Extraordinary Ideas for Everyday Discipline.
    I'm dying to get into that one as it's received mixed reviews; haha I wanna see what the critics are saying cuz I don't usaully agree with the "norm" psychiatric ways of doing things with kids! hehe

I usually get my books at the local library, but one that I personally own is absolutely wonderful...Raising Respectful Children in a Disrespectful World by Jill Rigby. :thumb::thumb:Two Thumbs up!