What Are You Putting on Their Desks on the First Day?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by S Dubb, Aug 14, 2009.

1. S Dubb

S Dubb Comrade

Aug 14, 2009

I'd love to hear some of the things that you all are doing. When your kids walk in on the first day of class, what is going to be on their desks waiting for them?

3. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Aug 15, 2009

nothing

4. DaleJr88AmpFan

DaleJr88AmpFan Cohort

Aug 15, 2009

I am not sure-- we have an Open House/Meet Your Teacher Night scheduled for two days before school actually begins. So... last year I had a little "Welcome to 5th Grade" baggie of goodies with a poem to go with it... you know the kind-- Here is a penny, I am hoping that you will share your thoughts with me. Anyway, that seemed to go over really well. Right now, I would be leaning towards that "goodie bag" along with their information folders from the office for updates & my back-to-school newsletter/packet placed on the desks. On the first day, there is already enough excitement about digging through their school supplies so adding anything to that would be pointless. :)

5. TeachinHicks

TeachinHicks Comrade

Aug 15, 2009

I usually have a fun back to school word search and scramble on their desk for them to work on while everyone is coming in. Then we work on many different things like putting away supplies, labeling them, etc. Before long we'll do some fun stuff, lunch time, and then time for them to go home. We have 12:00 dismissal on our first day. :)

6. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Aug 15, 2009

They have a word search with all their names and a school words scramble, along with a sharpened pencil (so they can get working right away). We had what we call "parent visits" last week, so I had all the students pick out a book from our classroom library. That's there, along with a bookmark.

7. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Aug 15, 2009

I put a goodie bag on their desks, along with their nametag and a welcome back to school packet of papers.

Amakaye - I am totally stealing the idea of having them pick a book from the classroom library! We have an Orientation the Sunday before school starts - excellent use of that time!! Thanks.

8. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 15, 2009

My kids (Kinder) don't have their own desks. Instead I put a Kindergarten pencil along with a personal postcard on my door (has a mailbox with my name on it). Each postcard just has one sentence long on it. I plan to read it to them as they come in and take the pencil off the door and hand it to them.

9. ms. yi

ms. yi Comrade

Aug 15, 2009

I have a first day work packet that they can work on independently so that I can handle the incoming traffic. I give them their gifts (2 books and a bookmark) at the end of the day so that they're not confused as to what to do with them when they walk in. If I get their supplies the night before at Open House, they also have a pencil and crayon box on their desk.

10. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Aug 15, 2009

a pencil saying 6th graders are awesome

I usually put together a little bag of goodies (eraser, pencil, book mark, etc.) but I just didn't have time to get it all together this year.

11. Matt633

Matt633 Comrade

Aug 15, 2009

I have a welcome poem withlaffy taffy and life saver same type of thing as mentioned above, and a pencil in a holder that matches our theme "Challenge yourself to succeed<" on the back of the holder is a puzzle that they can start doing the first thing.

I have parent packet that have to go home but I hand that directly to the parent that first morning. In that packet I am putting the poem "Together We Make A Difference"

12. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Aug 15, 2009

A stack of some books and folders we'll talk about and put in their desks, and a letter from a second grader in my class last year. School starts at 8:30 and we have to be at computers at 8:40, so basically they'll just come in, put their supplies by their desk, hang up their backpack, sit down and read their letter, listen to announcements while I take attendance, and line up for computers. Crazy morning. I'm hoping I can bring them in a few minutes earlier.

13. S Dubb

S Dubb Comrade

Aug 15, 2009

Thanks for sharing your ideas, everybody. So far I have a welcome packet with coloring activities, color/cut bookmarks, simple math problems, class roster word search, etc.

14. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 15, 2009

We are using tables this year and I have put one of those seatback storage thingies on each chair. In one of the pouches I have placed a beanie baby as a welcome to school surprise. I have been eating Happy Meals all summer to gather enough! I have also included new pencils and journals for science and writing. Starfall sells primary journals with the box for a picture and lines for writing. They cost about 49 cents each which is a lot cheaper than buying them at teacher stores. On the top of the table I just have to put the nametag. It's a lot less cluttered this way.

15. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 15, 2009

I got my student a small tin in the shape of a fairy, with rose mints inside. She was popping tic tacs last time I saw her like they were going out of style, so I thought she would appreciate this.

Unfortunately, I have to set up the room on Monday morning, with her there, so it won't have the element of surprise that most of you are getting. I'm thinking of having her silent read upstairs while I get everything together....

16. maroki

maroki Comrade

Aug 16, 2009

The last couple years my school ordered Scholastic News so I always had a magazine on each child's desk, along with a sharpened pencil and a handwriting (their name) practice sheet. This was in 1st grade.

This year (2nd grade), we aren't getting Scholastic news and I don't know if I'll do the handwriting page. I'll probably put their morning work (math review sheet) on their desk along with a sharpened pencil and a challenge activity. I like them to have something to work on while I'm going through supplies with all the students, although I've been considering doing rotating math exploration centers during this time as well.

I had a nightmare last night that I got to school on the first day and the kids were there...and I had no work and nothing planned. We don't start until September 9, but maybe it was a sign that I need to start planning!. :whistle:

17. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Aug 16, 2009

At the end of the year I have my students write a letter to the next class of third graders. I put that letter on their desks so they can read it. I don't remember if I put anything else on there!! I don't usually want too much because we get started pretty quickly as soon as all of the parents leave.

18. missk83

missk83 Companion

Aug 16, 2009

I put a Welcome Back packet that I made up (all about me page, editing a paragraph, math problems, wordsearch, and a page where they write their goals->this page is the first step in our Goals BB), a welcome back pencil, and a letter from a 3rd grader from last year.
    I collect the packet at the end of the week, and use it VERY informally to assess the students: who finished, who chose to do what (they can do it in any order besides the goal sheet), handwriting habits, neatness, etc. You can tell a lot about them based on their packets!

19. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 16, 2009

A pen and a survey, which I may incorporate into a small packet that discusses procedures and other things as well, like cursive practice with some important words. Maybe an individual pencil sharpener. That's as good as it gets from me. :)

20. lizabet

lizabet Rookie

Sep 9, 2009

i had this dream, too!!!:lol:

21. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Sep 9, 2009

Play-doh. It's my secret weapon to get the pre-kers down to my room, and keeps them entertained while my assistant and I go through their backpacks and get everyone in safely.

22. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Sep 9, 2009

OH, it was fun this year. I went to Target's dollar bins. I got Hello Kitty tablets for the girls and Superman tablets for the boys. When they got to school that was what was on their desks, along with a sharpened pencil. They were in Heaven!