What are you making for Easter Dinner??

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Master Pre-K, Mar 20, 2008.

1. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Mar 20, 2008

Hello All,

Just came back from the store, and it was a real zoo! They are remodeling it, and of course, it is packed with people! What a mess!

Anyways, I picked up almost everything for my Easter dinner! I'm having ham, potato salad, macaroni and cheese, rolls, and making a pie or two. My daughter will bring some vegetable dishes, and she will come by earlier to help cook. Also have some dip, and veggies.

The ham is fully cooked. Should I freeze it? I forgot..honestly... :huh: Don't think I should leave in the fridge for more than a day...but it is cooked. Isn't that just like when you get slices or a package of cooked ham? It could stay in the refridgerator for a week, right?

What are having? Will some of you be going over to visit family and friends, or maybe going out for dinner???

3. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Mar 20, 2008

Ham can stay in the fridge for a few days.
    My parents always want their kids at home (even though we are all grown up!)...seriously jealous if we want to spend it with our S.O. and their family. Anyway...my dad always makes a ham, scalloped potatoes, green beans, macaroni, rolls, and my mom will make some kind of pie. Oh...and fruit salad.

4. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Mar 20, 2008

We are having Easter Eve/a bday party dinner. Ham for that.
    Not really sure what will do for Easter except for maybe play in the snow we are suppose to get!!!

5. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Mar 20, 2008

What am I making for Easter dinner? The same thing I make for every holiday dinner.............RESERVATIONS!

6. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Mar 20, 2008

We are actually "moving" Easter to the end of April. We have my in-laws, my parents, and hubby's brothers and sisters over for a crawfish boil every Easter. My father-in-law was operated on this week and so we decided to move Easter and get together when he is better. So I guess Sunday we will just eat out after church.

7. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Mar 20, 2008

Leg of lamb

veggies,

Manicotti

ham

8. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Mar 20, 2008

Ham
    Scalloped potatoes
    Green bean casserole (request from hubby)
    corn
    deviled eggs
    Rolls
    Some type of dessert

9. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Mar 20, 2008

Hmmmm scalloped potatoes... I think I had those a couple of decades ago :D

anybody want to share their recipe???

Hey DizneeTeachR...we are supposed to have a ton of snow too, starting midnight tonight! Guess all the Easter Egg hunts will be inside again... :(

Come to think of it, I don't believe I ever had an Easter Egg hunt outside except for when I was in CA!!! Maybe once...

decades ago... :p

Hope your father-in-law gets better soon..chemteach..

Best wishes to all for a Happy Easter and a great Spring Vacation!!

10. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 20, 2008

We're going to skip the ham this year and go with some sort of bird. Turkey, or maybe goose. I don't even know if they have goose around here, but I'll check.

I haven't decided on sides yet. Any suggestions?

:)

11. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Mar 20, 2008

I'm hosting my immediate family, a friend of my sis, and DH's parents and the menu looks like this:

ham
    rolls
    hashbrown cassarole
    asparagus
    angel food cake and berries with whip cream for dessert

DH's parents are coming into town and staying with us. Explain to me how I am suppose to have a clean and presentable house with guests in it? We live in about 1000 sq ft so four full grown adults for four days is not something I am looking forward to. I'm cleaning tomorrow and praying that everyone will be careful.

:p

12. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Mar 20, 2008

you want clean, or presentable? :rolleyes:

Clean is neat (dust and vacumm, wash dishes, clean all rooms {or close doors ;)}), organized (stuff in boxes, covered with blankets, closets closed, craft stuff stored away), and comfortable (enough seats and table room, enough heat or air, extra room for sick/tired folks to stretch out).

presentable is Martha Stewart...and for family, you shouldn't have to go there! Save that for your Better Homes and Gardens or House Beautiful photo shoot! :cool:

K-Mart and Wal-Mart have good Cosco folding tables and chairs, in case you need extra seating. They are all staying over night, for four days??!! Will you let kids room in with you, and offer their bedroom, or do you have extra room. How about sofa bed?

This is why I need a 2-bed, 2-bath, at my next place for sure!!

13. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Mar 20, 2008

:D

14. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Mar 20, 2008

there are a few in the park up the street...and some were flying over my house earlier... :p

are those the same ones that you eat?? :confused:

I have heard of 'pheasant under glass'... Then I actually saw one. What a beautiful bird..couldn't imagine having him for dinner...

Never had duck either...anybody here like duck??? Is there a certain kind, or is that cute little one I see in the park, teal green color???

don't know much about wild, fancy game food..never tried rabbit
    or deer...

OMG..I see all these creatures in the park!

oh well, one teacher's natural wildlife is another teacher's dinner..

or do you say supper? :D

15. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Mar 21, 2008

No kids are coming thank God. My bro and I are the youngest. Only DH's parents are staying with us. As for closing doors, only the bedrooms can be closed and at that, his parents are in one of them so it still has to be cleaned. And it's snowing now, so they aren't sure they're coming because it's a four hour drive. SO now, I am cleaning because I am not sure and I am thinking about the plans I said no to on Saturday...grrr.:confused:

16. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 21, 2008

We're having an early Easter dinner at my sister's today--ham, scalloped potatoes, probably Brussels sprouts and carrots, and I just finished making a white chocolate strawberry mousse trifle for dessert. There'll be imported beer and good wine as well. I'm cooing a turkey for just the 4 of us on Sunday. Turkey, mashed potatoes and gravy, asparagus, Caesar salad, fresh rolls, and crepes with ice cream and chocolate sauce for dessert.

17. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Mar 21, 2008

Since we are all sick I'm just making Easter Dinner at Dinner time, and not early like we do usually with my parents over. (they are only coming for the Egg hunt).

But I am making:
    Spiral Ham
    Augratin Potatoes
    Peas (maybe some zuchinni for my DH)
    heat and serve rolls (love those things)

I think I'll have my DD make her "famous" pine apple upside down cake.

18. 1gdteach

1gdteach Companion

Mar 21, 2008

This is all making me hungry. I am making Ham, mashed potatoes, gravy, Mac and Cheese, some type of vegetable. It will be just be the small family.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2008
  19. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Mar 21, 2008

Oh dang, I'll never make it to Martha Stewart status.:lol:

PS: I don't have in-laws to deal with (decesed)........ but we've already established my husband's mother wouldn't like me:confused:

Happy Easter everyone.

20. msaly

msaly Comrade

Mar 21, 2008

we are having Prime Rib, roasted potato's, corn casserole and dinner rolls. And some type of desert that has no milk or milk product in it (my sister cant have it).

21. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Mar 22, 2008

Since bf and I get to still be the children (no kids of our own) we get to go to his parents for easter dinner. hahahahaha. No cooking for me.

22. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Mar 22, 2008

It all sounds good! Great ideas!!! Still waiting for the recipe for scalloped or augratin potatoes...

JaimeMarie..will you bring dessert, or just empty tupperware dishes for some leftovers!! :D

That seems so tacky, but you know there's plenty, and they always say, "take a plate home".

Tupperware is much better than a paper plate covered in foil, sliding on the back seat of my car! :( Sometimes, I even carry a cooler with a icepack inside when I know I may be bringing home food!

Have a good Easter holiday everyone!!!!

23. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Mar 22, 2008

I don't think we will bring anything haha. We won't bring anything home either. We never eat the left overs (I dont' really like ham except for sandwich ham) but I'll eat it because she got it.

24. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Mar 22, 2008

25. dizzybri14

dizzybri14 Companion

Mar 23, 2008

This is another time of year I wish I was back in Ohio (where the family is). Now I have to cook for the b/f and I. grr... If we were in Ohio we'd just go eat at family houses.

I did make hardboiled eggs so....Deviled eggs will be on the list.
    Not too sure what else though. Nothing fancy for just the two of us.