What are you making for Christmas dinner?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Aliceacc, Dec 21, 2013.

1. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 21, 2013

I usually make a turkey, but we still have some odds and ends of Thanksgiving in the fridge.

We're only six. I was thinking of maybe a ham, though I'm not sure of what I'll serve with it. I can eat ham, though it's not my favorite.

Just trolling for ideas before I hit the store.

3. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Dec 21, 2013

We have ham on Christmas eve, and turkey on Christmas day. We usually make a roast beef with the turkey-don't ask why! With the ham we make "cheesy potatoes"-hash browns with sour cream, cheddar and corn flakes crushed on top. With the turkey and roast it is sweet potatoes and mashed potatoes.
    I make a green bean casserole that is different from the classic-I layer swiss cheese between the beans and top with crushed, buttered corn flakes. Yummy!

4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Dec 21, 2013

Can you share your cheesy potato recipe?

5. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Dec 21, 2013

The years we're at Dad's, we have prime rib. The years we're at my place, I make lasagna. Christmas Eve is always the Feast of Seven Fishes.

6. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Dec 21, 2013

We don't do sit down dinner for Christmas most years. This year, at the in-laws each person is bringing an appetizer and a dessert. At my dad's, we'll do breakfast, and at my mom's we'll probably do a more traditional meal since we didn't see each other for Thanksgiving, but who knows. She sometimes likes to mix it up.

7. K1teach

K1teach Companion

Dec 21, 2013

I always think of homemade mac and cheese with ham. Usually green beans too.

8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 21, 2013

I'm doing a turkey, stuffing and mashed potatoes; this morning, I need to decide on sides and dessert.

My sister and brother-in-law are staying here on Christmas night, so I'll also have to plan brunch for Boxing Day.

9. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Dec 21, 2013

There's only a few of us as well, so we're keeping the menu simple (we only go all out for Thanksgiving)

1. Potato Salad
    2. Croissant Sandwich platter (seafood, chicken, tuna salad)
    3. Chips and Dip
    4. Sweet and Sour Meatballs
    5. Crab and Corn Chowder Soup
    6. Sweet Tea, Juice, Beer
    7. Dessert (Mom got some individual pastries from a cute bakery near us)

10. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 21, 2013

I have no idea, but it could be anything/cuisine!

11. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Dec 21, 2013

Ham
    Chicken and dressing
    Cranberry sauce
    Cream cheese corn
    Homemade yeast rolls
    Glazed carrots

Not sure about dessert actually :)

12. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Dec 21, 2013

I have a ham but not sure about the other stuff. I will see my sister tonight so we will make a menu. It will be 6 or 7 of us for dinner so I want a good variety of stuff on the table. There is a potato au gratin dish I really like making with the ham but I'm not sure many will eat it since we are all watching our carbs!

13. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Dec 21, 2013

Brisket
    Scalloped potatoes
    Green bean casserole
    Baked beans
    Layered pea salad
    Seven layer dip (maybe)
    Cowboy cavier (appetizer)
    Bread pudding
    Pecan pie
    Banana pudding
    Another dessert but haven't decided yet. Maybe cookies since there'll be quite a few kiddos running around.
    Rolls
    We're having it at my house again this year, second year in a row. I love having it at my house. :blush: I get a little stressed out about it, but it's all worth it once everyone gets there. My sister is doing the meat and potatoes, and my mom and I split the rest of it up.

14. Alesia

Alesia Companion

Dec 21, 2013

Shrimp po' boys
    Catfish po' boys
    red beans and rice
    homemade baked macaroni
    chocolate chip cookies
    gingerbread cookies
    oatmeal/cranberry cookies

I feel like I need something else, but I can't think of what that could be.

15. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Dec 21, 2013

We travel to my mother's house on Christmas. She is 81, so everyone contributes to the meal. We are having ham, filling balls, scalloped pineapple casserole, baked corn, and cookies so far.

16. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Dec 21, 2013

On Xmas eve we always do appetizers/snacky things. This year we will have a meat and cheese tray, a veggie tray, meatballs, and of course Xmas cookies and other treats. On Xmas day I'm going to make a ham in the crock pot. I've never done it that way, so I hope it turns out. We will also be having mashed potatoes, homemade rolls, carrots, and broccoli. It'll be slightly fancier than a normal dinner, but not anything over the top. It's just the two of us, so we're not going nuts on the meal.

17. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Dec 21, 2013

18. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Dec 21, 2013

On second thought, we might replace mashed potatoes with a cheesy potato casserole.

:lol:

:2up:

19. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 21, 2013

That potato casserole sounds yummy--it will be making an appearance here over the holidays for sure!

I just heard from Mom. She's bringing homemade rolls and cranberry sauce. I think I'm going to do brussels sprouts, glazed carrots and a green salad for sides on the 25th. Dessert is still open for debate, but right now it's looking like a big platter of cookies accompanied by either an ice cream dessert (Lauren's vote) or Mexican chocolate pot de creme (my vote).

20. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Dec 21, 2013

The cheesy potatoes & corn casserole take their turns at our ham dinners!!! LOL!!! Oooh..a tip my hubby sprays the corn flakes once crushed & on top with a little Pam butter spray..the get a little crispier!!!

21. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Dec 21, 2013

Here it is:
    1 2lb bag of frozen hash browns (not shredded)
    2 cans cream of chicken soup
    1 lrg.(pint) sour cream
    2 c. shredded cheddar
    1/2 c. butter, melted
    crushed cornflakes

Mix all ingredients together. Place in an ungreased 9x13 pan. Pour melted butter on top. Place crushed cornflakes over the butter. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.

22. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Dec 21, 2013

Very similar to mine..but I don't do the shredded potatoes, and I use two cans of cream of chicken soup to make it creamier.

23. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Dec 21, 2013

We're still working out our menu,but there's usually a ham, sometimes my dad will grill, greens, purple hull peas, green beans, and if my mom has them butter beans, all from the garden. Yeast rolls, my niece's twice baked potatoes. I'm planning on making a gooey butter or lemon cake, and we have the candy we make (peanut butter balls and martha washingtons). Christmas morning is ALWAYS sausage balls.

24. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Dec 21, 2013

Christmas Eve is snacks, soup, and sandwiches. Christmas Day is ham, dressing, Ruth Chris sweet potato casserole, deviled eggs, homemade rolls, corn casserole, salad, and dessert.

25. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Dec 21, 2013

Both meals are being cooked for me by others. Prime Rib on Christmas Eve and Honey Baked Ham on Christmas Day.

26. msaly

msaly Comrade

Dec 21, 2013

We have prime rib, mashed potatoes and green bean casserole for Christmas Eve. We have lasagna with homemade sauce for Christmas.

27. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Dec 21, 2013

Are you from Louisiana?

28. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Dec 21, 2013

We'll have General Tso's chicken, fried rice, stir fried green beans, zucchini and onions, and cream cheese wontons.

29. Alesia

Alesia Companion

Dec 22, 2013

No, every year we try to make something different. Last year we made shrimp fried rice, teriyaki chicken, and shrimp pot stickers.

30. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Dec 22, 2013

Tomorrow Chicken Cordon Bleu
    Christmas Eve...fettuccine alfredo & Lasgna!!
    Christmas..not sure maybe turkey

31. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Dec 24, 2013

I thought everyone just had turkey with trimmings. Now I have an excuse to mix up my menu. We will have Turkey, mashed potatoes with gravy, green beans, pumpkin pie this year. I am going to pick up some menu options from these posts for next year.

32. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 24, 2013

We've always had turkey before.

But if feels as though I just threw out the last of the Thanksgiving leftovers. So I figured it was time to mix it up.

So it wil be a ham for us. I'll make mashed potatoes, stuffing (as per my son's request) stuffed mushroom caserole, carrots, and make-your-own Ice cream sundaes for dessert. (I told mom that we have some Kahlua if she would prefer it tohot fudge... that's the direction I'm personally leaning towards.)

33. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Dec 24, 2013

My MIL is doing the 7 fishes tonight. Maybe 5. Only 3 out of the 5 people who will be at Christmas Eve dinner eat fish so I told her not to go nuts!

We added lasangna to our Christmas dinner menu. Lots of appetizers and desserts. I picked up an eggnog cheesecake from a woman at the flea market who has her own cheesecake business. She had so many flavors and they all looked good. I wish we could eat dessert first LOL

34. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 24, 2013

Decided on lemon-garlic green beans, glazed carrots and coleslaw for sides for dinner. Dessert will be Mexican pots de chocolate and cookies. For nibbling on during the afternoon, I'll have an assortment of cheeses, salami, crackers, shrimp, mini spring rolls, smoked oysters and a veggie tray.

35. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Dec 24, 2013

It's just my daughter and I, like every year.
    I like to cook / make a lot of different sides, instead of 1 or 2 main things. This way we can still eat them in the next few days without feeling that we're just eating the same left over.

Salad
    tomato / cabbage soup (it's from a Hungarian stew, but I'll make it soupy)
    salad
    chicken
    mashed potatoes
    yam
    green beans
    some other vegetable
    something for dessert

36. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Dec 24, 2013

Tonight its italian with my mom's side of the family, a tradition we have done since I can remember. There will be 20 or 25 of us of us and we will do Italian: chicken parm, eggplant parm, veal parm, homemade calzones, meatballs, and some deserts (heathbar bark, pies, and triffle).

Tomorrow we will be with my family, some of my kids SOs, my parents, and I'm blessed to still have 2 living grandparents that will be joining us. We will have turkey, ham, and all the fixings--followed by even more desserts.

The food takes a lot of effort, but what matters most to me is time spent with family.

37. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Dec 24, 2013

Nothing... We're going to my sister's this year!

38. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Dec 25, 2013

As many of you know, I am one of Jehovah's Witnesses and we don't celebrate Christmas. My DH is not a Witness, his birthday was yesterday, too. Well, he usually goes to his mother to spend those days with his family since I don't celebrate. Well, this year because it is in the middle of the week, he decided to stay home. He likes the traditional Christmas meal. Two years ago, we stayed home because we were going to Dallas for the New Year. His GD had just been born and his son and wife had just built a new home. That year, we cooked gumbo (tradition in Louisiana). This time, he wanted ham and trimmings. We baked the ham together, I cooked cornbread dressing and au gratin potatoes, and he made mini sweet potato pies. Our DD1 and GD will be here for about five days; therefore, the food won't be wasted. My younger girls are with dad's family; they'll be home tomorrow so it will all get eaten. DD1 has requested gumbo while she's here. That will be my Sunday dinner.

39. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Dec 25, 2013

I made that cheesy potato casserole, but it didn't turn out. :( The flavor was good but the potatoes seemed raw and crunchy, even though I followed the directions and cooked everything for nearly an hour. Very disappointed.