What are you looking forward to about this next school year?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by TamiJ, Jul 12, 2011.

1. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 12, 2011

I'll start:

We will finally have 1 computer in each elementary classroom so that is going to widen my resources. I look forward to showing presentations, short video clips, etc.

Next year will be the 1st year that the other 1st grade teacher and I will switch kids, so I will teach math to my kids and hers, and she will teach science to her kids and mine. I will not be teaching science for the first time, so that will be different.

I will have a pretty challenging group next year, not only behaviorally but many who are pretty low academically as well (and had a very high group this last year). So, I am looking forward to practicing and perfecting effective strategies for those learners.

3. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Jul 12, 2011

I'm looking forward to having slightly smaller classes. This year the fifth grade had 75 students and our upcoming 5th grade is about 63, so that will be nice.

4. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jul 12, 2011

I'm excited to have a student (whom I have known since he was in K) with cerebral palsy. He has come so far, I am eager to work with him. What a success story he continues to be!

5. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 12, 2011

And how wonderful to have the opportunity to be a part of that success! Let us know how it goes.

6. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 12, 2011

I'm excited to have only 22 kids on roll so far.

7. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Jul 12, 2011

I'm looking forward to trying a different approach to my discpline policy; having classroom "jobs" for students; one-on-one or small group conferencing; using a word wall; exploring the writing process more; and having a better year than last, which hoovered!!!!!

Beth

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 12, 2011

I'm looking forward to peace.

No wakes, no days when we close school for funerals. No picking up classes while a close friend undergoes chemo. No crying for lost friends.Not worrying about anyone close having cancer. Not hearing the word "biopsy."

Just give me a peaceful year, free of those types of worries, and I'll teach anyone and anything.

9. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jul 12, 2011

I'm looking forward to being excited about my curriculum, but I still don't know what I'll be teaching next year. I'm looking forward to being in the same classroom two years in a row for the first time in my teaching career.

10. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 12, 2011

My friend had 35 3rd graders this year and is really looking forward to a smaller class size too!

11. MrsLilHen

MrsLilHen Comrade

Jul 12, 2011

I always feel so lucky to have a fresh start each year.

I'm going back after a year and a half of family rearing leave with my 3rd child... So I'm looking forward to getting back in the classroom in general... and also hoping to get through the heartbreak of leaving my kids.

12. AZMrs.S

AZMrs.S Cohort

Jul 12, 2011

I am excited to start my first year! :D I have been waiting for awhile to just get in the classroom and I am excited to be able to in the grade that I love! :)

13. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 12, 2011

We hired my student teacher! We will be teaching next door to each other! We REALLY click.

14. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 12, 2011

That is exciting!

15. teachgrade5

teachgrade5 Comrade

Jul 12, 2011

I am looking forward to having only 22 students in my classroom (at least right now that is my number). Plus my list is looking like a great class as far as behaviors go.

I am looking forward to working with my fellow grade level teachers.

Personally I am also looking forward to this school as I will be having twins at the end of November/beginning of December.

I am worried about getting a great sub to take my maternity leave and getting the students ready for state testing.

16. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jul 12, 2011

I am looking forward to teaching 2nd grade. Last time I taught 2nd, it felt like a demotion, but this time it feels like a gift (it's all about perspective!)

I am excited to do Daily 5, a Word Wall, and Math Workshop. I am excited to have a whole new crew of parents- not even a sibling in the group- so I can do everything new and different.

I get a set of blocks in my room! I can't wait to see what 2nd graders do with them.

I can't wait to start my new management/discipline plan. I am expecting the best year ever.

I am really excited for new projects I am already dreaming up- going to the pumpkin patch and studying the life cycle of a plant in the fall, doing photography projects all year long, poetry, publishing our own books in WW, and delving fully into constructivist math and seeing what happens!

And we have a laptop cart now with enough computers for everyone! I want to do power points or other cool things with them!

I am excited for the new tables and chairs I got from the admin, because I had to move rooms again for the 4th time in 6 years, and decorating the room.

I am excited to see how my reconfigured space works.

Wow, I guess I am just really excited!

17. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jul 12, 2011

After 7 years of a 30 minute commute each way, I am excited that I will now be at a school that is 10 minutes away from my house! I am also moving from 5th grade to 3rd grade, so hopefully that will be an exciting change.

18. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jul 12, 2011

I just got my teaching assignment, and I'm super excited! All film studies! Woo hoo!

19. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 12, 2011

I am looking forward to a revamped curriculum with enough bells and whistles to interest some of my tough-to-engage students. Also looking forward to working with a new Special Education counterpart after some rough moments with the outgoing teacher. Ah, fresh starts.

20. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Jul 12, 2011

I am also excited about having a new principal and superintendent! Our last was....not the right fit to say it politely.

21. marcus903

marcus903 Companion

Jul 12, 2011

New Teachers, new administrators, new classmates.

22. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Jul 12, 2011

A new boss at each of my two schools. Being better acclimated for the heat (working out in it each day). Doing archery well enough to make up a team. It is year 33.

23. Miss84

Miss84 Comrade

Jul 12, 2011

I don't know if any of you remember a couple of my previous posts, but I was MISERABLE at the school I just left. That place was depressing me every minute of the day, and I even contemplated leaving teaching altogether. I was blessed with a much better opportunity.A new school (literally), polite coworkers, opportunities for professional development (previous school didn't even know what that was -_-), and not to mention my salary DOUBLING, I am very excited about this upcoming school year!

24. The Fonz

The Fonz Math teacher (for now...)

Jul 12, 2011

I am looking forward to teaching AP Stat for the first time and not having to teach pre-calc anymore (not a fan of that course).

25. Drama Teach

Drama Teach Rookie

Jul 12, 2011

All Film studies, that sounds like fun! Have you taught film studies before?

26. Drama Teach

Drama Teach Rookie

Jul 12, 2011

I am looking foward to beginning my second year. I can't wait to go in with my revised classroom managment plan, I have faith in it this year.

I am also really looking foward to teaching advance Drama classes. Last year I taught six Drama I's. Next year I should have 2 Drama IIs and 1 stage craft.

I am excited that I feel more confident in what I am doing and hope that is will mean a better year for my students.

27. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Jul 12, 2011

I will have one less class to prep for since I will be doing something similar to what Tami is doing with another teacher! Can't wait!

28. historynut

historynut Rookie

Jul 12, 2011

I'm looking forward to trying to reinvent myself this year. I'm doing a lot of new things.

29. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jul 12, 2011

I have. Last year I had film studies and speech. I wrote the syllabus for film studies and designed the curriculum, so I was really hoping to still get to teach it this year. I'll miss teaching speech, but it will be so nice to only have one prep!

30. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 12, 2011

I'm looking forward to incorporating some of the web tools I've been learning about this week.

31. TeachingHistory

TeachingHistory Companion

Jul 12, 2011

Alright, I don't have a job yet, but I am actually truly looking forward to subbing at a few of my favorite schools. I miss the kids and the teachers. I also found out the teacher that got the position I wanted was my 8th grade English teacher who is AMAZING. I'm pleased I'll be seeing him around. :)

32. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Jul 12, 2011

:DWell,,, I have several things I am excited about...

1) I am moving to a new (as in brand new, just finishing up being built) school this year again (did the same two years ago) that has even more technology than my last school did and it was awesome.

2) I am going back to 2nd Grade :D (can you tell I am excited to go back after 3 years in 3rd grade and all the extra stress that that entailed with state testing)

3) I am getting to work with some friends on the same grade level

4) I am going to only be 1.1 miles from my back door to the school (2nd closest I have ever lived to work)

5) Am looking forward to having an less behaviorally challenged (from what I have been told) group of children than I am used to.

6) More freedom in how/when I teach things than previously.

7) Now after reading through this thread and seeing that Ms. J. is also going to 2nd grade I am even more excited since she has such great ideas that I sometimes steal .....oh I mean borrow..... and the kids get so excited when we do them.

33. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 12, 2011

Wow, I have really enjoyed reading through this thread to see what everyone is looking forward to for next year. I look forward to reading more. :)

34. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Jul 12, 2011

Looking forward to getting a paycheck again. That will be really nice.

35. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 12, 2011

You didn't have your salary stretched out for all 12 months?

I had forgotten to mention I'm also REALLY looking forward to improving the function and communication with my club. My hope is to have my own virtual classroom where we can chat via a message board between meetings and I can receive their submission directly without their bothering their English teachers.

36. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Jul 12, 2011

I'm looking forward to using more Mouse Mischief lessons with this new class. Our Parents' Club was generous enough to provide me with all the equipment I needed...now I'm creating the content. My goal is one new lesson each week and I'm going to rotate curriculum areas.

I'm also looking forward to using the information from the Singapore Model Drawing class I start next Wednesday.

The only disappointment seems to be about my room. I was very much hoping to change rooms, but that doesn't look like it is going to happen.

37. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Jul 12, 2011

Yes and no, we get a check at the end of the school year that is larger to cover the summer. We just have to stretch it out over the summer. But it does cause about a 2 week gap between the end of summer and the first paycheck where there is pay.

38. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Jul 12, 2011

I'm so excited to try out new reading and math curriculum with my sp ed students. The district ordered the Reading and Writing Sourcebooks for all of us gr 2-5 and I'm in the process of creating unit plans for each of the 16 lessons in the book, complete with smartboard activities, and cross referenced homework.

They also ordered Hands on Standards math kits for K-5. So I'm excited to teach grade level content in a hands on way to help the students with the dreaded tests.

Not too excited about having 19 students, 4 of which are alternate assessment, after having only 9 this past year. Also unsure about the principal's plan of mixed 4th-5th reading block, and full inclusion science/social studies. Means I have to teach all 19 math at the same time, in a 40 minute block. But it's doable, and I'll manage.

39. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 12, 2011

Me, too, Alice - I lost my mom this past March to lung cancer. It was a long and painful fight, but I am thankful that my principal (of the last 2 years) was sooo understanding and believes in taking care of family. We're getting a new principal this year, so I really don't know what to expect, and I'm just hoping my dad (who just had a stroke 3 weeks ago) will rally soon!

40. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 12, 2011

I am looking forward to:
    • My new decor - based around the New Orleans Saints!
    • working in more of the "teach like a champion" management procedures
    • Using foldables!!!! (guess who just attended a class?)
    • I had asked to go to a higher grade, but I'll be back in 1st again this year, so I'm excited to have a co-worker I enjoy working with, and a curriculum I already know :)
    • the looks on the faces of my coworkers when they see me - 30 lbs lighter!

41. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 12, 2011

He's in my prayers.