What are you giving your spouse?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by kcjo13, Dec 17, 2008.

1. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Dec 18, 2008

I ended up getting mine a Blackberry, a Nebraska sweatshirt, new jeans, a wallet, and underwear. I think that's about it, but I have to help my girls shop for him. My oldest was in a Nascar fantasy league with her uncle this year (she picked the drivers!) and they WON! So he gave her the winnings after they paid the entry, and she split it with her sister (I have the sweetest girls, I swear) so they could shop for us. They both have $40!

2. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Dec 19, 2008

We tend not to spend a lot on each other for Christmas. I have picked up 5 or 6 dvds throughout the year that I have been saving (I start Christmas shopping on December 26th). He wanted another hooded sweatshirt to wear under his coveralls while working outside in the winter. The thing that he really wanted and couldn't find was a display stand for his Ka-Bar knife that he got when he got his discharge from the USMC. It has his dates of service and his units engraved on it. I found them online and ordered one. It came with a catalog of all things USMC that I gave to him. I was sneaky and tore out the page with the display stands on it so he wouldn't order it before Christmas. We also cashed in some of our credit card points and got him a gas powered pressure washer. He is such a clean freak this was a perfect gift for him. I have to pick up some Jelly Belly jelly beans and Hot Tamales to put in his stocking this weekend.

3. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 19, 2008

My BF thinks I give great presents. I'm a creative person, so I'll sometimes wrap up something in a way that he wouldn't think the gift would be. For example, putting a small item in a large box to throw him off!

Long ago, we've also exchanged gift suggestion lists written by ourselves of all things we like, what size we wear, our favorite colors, etc. I even wrote a couple things I don't like, so he knows never to get those things.

This yr, we're keeping it simple & just probably going to an amusement park as a gift to each other.

4. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Dec 19, 2008

We bought a 52" HDTV to replace our old TV and agreed not to get each other anything else. We'll go shopping after Christmas and get few things for ourselves - he needs sweaters, so I'll help him pick those out. We warned DD that it would be a pretty moderate year, and I've gotten her a 250 MB external hard drive, a wireless mouse for her laptop, and a couple of books. I'll get some practical stuff for her stocking, and that's it - especially since she may need a new laptop very soon.

5. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Dec 19, 2008

I know what he's giving me... a headache... lol.

We aren't swapping gifts. Don't really have the money and really don't need anything... but money. LOL

6. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Dec 19, 2008

Our whole family is keeping it simple this year, even homemade gifts! My husband is getting a very, very nice pair of slippers. That's all he asked for!

7. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Dec 19, 2008

This is our arrangement too.:)

8. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Dec 19, 2008

This is going to sound funny and a little like :hijack: . Anyway my mom's parents stoped giving her kids (my mom and uncles) gifts for christmas, but will sometimes call it a thanksgiving gift and give one @ thanksgiving not wrapped or an I love you gift at Christmas haha. Mom's Thanksgiving gift was a GPS. I have not asked her yet how she likes it as I do no talk to her often unless it is important she works out of town.

9. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Dec 19, 2008

A headache, oh my goodness so funny!! My sister could say that about me sometimes cuz I can be loud. BTW, my bday is the 10th of Dec. so sometimes I get a combinded Christmas/bday gift. My sis did that this yr because she said my gift was pricy. It was a new purse, Wallet,and a pair of cute Christmas socks. We always go all out with each other's gifts. I got her some body wash and a nice necklace and earing set, plus a cute keychain with a lipgloss on it and a perfume sample to add as a topper for the gift.

10. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Dec 20, 2008

My sister always does this for her hubby: http://www.heifer.org/#. They're really wealthy. Some years she buys a cow, she's bought all kinds of livestock for him.

I bought mine a World War II rifle of some sort, my DS helped me with it.

11. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Dec 20, 2008

:lol: That's funny! I think my husband would kill me if I got him a cow!
    I still don't know what to get him. I have a few stocking stuffers and a personalized business card holder. He has been saving change in a glass jar so I was going to get him one of those coin jars that count the money as you put it in. As for a "big" gift I still have no idea.

12. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Dec 20, 2008

My husband is happily playing with his new toy outside. It's called Big Green Egg but it looks like a giant avocado to me. Considering his mom always gets us Omaha Steaks for Christmas, I was pretty happy with his choice of what he wanted. The best part is that it means HE is doing the cooking! :whistle:

13. Mrs. Q

Mrs. Q Cohort

Dec 20, 2008

We're pretty short on cash and it's our son's 1st Christmas, so we set a $50 limit for each other. I got him a 3-month subscription to GameFly (video game rental), a Family Guy DVD and a nice pair of pants. For his stocking, I got some cologne and candy that he likes.

14. jspader02

jspader02 Rookie

Dec 21, 2008

I bought my bf of 4 yrs football tickets to see the cowboys - too bad i had to give it to him before christmas! I'm going to get him some things for his stocking still though :-D I'm so anti-christmas shopping! I LOVE the holiday, but I'm the type of person that buys gifts randomly when I find something that is perfect for those close to me. Then I don't have to wait to give it to them! Waiting is the worst part!

15. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Dec 21, 2008

I was going to get him a video game along with the other things I mentioned, but instead today I picked up Bose headphones. I think he will really like them

16. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Dec 21, 2008

lol. if you get a cow through heifer international it goes to a family in need, usually in an underdeveloped country.

17. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Dec 21, 2008

Thanks to this thread, I got mine a Roku box as his big present. It should be here tomorrow.

I also got him a HIlARIOUS book that I hope doesn't get him fired. haha. It's a bunch of practical jokes you can do in an office setting. Since he and his friend at work have an on-going prank war, I think he will love it.

Got a few other things - some new pants, calendar, pistachios, stocking stuffers... He made out pretty well. :)

18. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Dec 21, 2008

Speaking of creative gifts....

I was thinking that we get wrapped up in the material things and I don't want my kids to forget to be thankful for what they have and to remember the reason for the season so....

I printed some sayings and rolled them up inside of some balloons. Then I wrapped up the balloons individually. Then I wrapped up a homemade cross I made from colored popsicle sticks and a pipecleaner. THen I wrapped up some wadded up wrapping paper to throw them off. Then I wrapped all of that inside a gift. Then I wrapped that gift again.

19. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Dec 21, 2008

Here's how you enjoy your son's first Christmas.

Buy 3 simple toys. Make sure they are toys you can play along with him. Buy some simple stocking stuffers. Wrap the stocking stuffers.

Then let him open the stocking stuffers. Play with that until he has lost interest. Later in the day, whip out your first gift. Play with him. Take pictures. Go outside, etc. Later, introduce another gift. Repeat the process. Read books in between. Have ticklefests. Cook a nice meal. Spend time as a family.

I did this my son's 2nd Christmas and it was probably the single best Christmas we ever had in all of its simplicity.

20. cosmoteach

cosmoteach Rookie

Dec 21, 2008

please do not be too impressed with snowboarding in Tahoe- we live close by! Where did you get the OSU mugs...we love anything OSU!