What are you embarassed to buy?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Em_Catz, Aug 31, 2011.

1. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Aug 31, 2011

1) Feminine hygiene products?
    2) "Protection" of a sexual nature?
    3) Odor eaters?
    4) Pregnancy test?

While my girlfriends were telling me they are mortified to purchase all of the above and try to go places that have a self-checkout so as not to have to look at the cashier, I don't think twice about purchasing any of them. I purchase #2 all the time and could care less about the cashier.

Oddly enough, what does embarass me is when I can't decide between beef and chicken at a carryout restaurant, so I order a hamburger and a chicken sandwich. I feel like i look so greedy!

Also, whenever I go to get a large take out (normally for my family or me and the boyfriend) from a sit down restaurant and I have to walk past all the seated customers in booths and at the bar, I always feel like everyone is staring at me and somehow I look anti-social for getting a take out instead of sitting down to dine like everyone else. :eek:

Edit: It's silly, but whenever I go to IHOP and someone gets a take out, I look twice at them. I don't know why, it just seems really weird to me.

Edit Edit: Once I was purchasing a bunch of chips from 7 - 11 because I had forgotten to buy snacks for a work party and the cashier kept implying that I had "the munchies" and smoked pot. I kept saying, "It's for a work party" but he kept saying it. That was pretty embarassing/annoying. :mad:

3. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Aug 31, 2011

I hate buying Nair facial hair remover:( It's silly for sure, but I can't help it.

4. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 31, 2011

1) Feminine hygiene products? - Not at all.

2) "Protection" of a sexual nature? - We don't need to, but I would feel a little awkward to do so.

3) Odor eaters? - I haven't bought these, but I don't see it as an issue.

4) Pregnancy test? - No need to buy these, but I wouldn't find it at all embarrassing.

I need fiber, and I don't like toting around a big ol' canister of that. I know it doesn't matter, but still. :)

5. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 31, 2011

All of the above, not that I've had to buy all of them :lol: I always feel like I'm being judged when I buy healthy food and not healthy food at the grocery store. I know I've looked at people's purchases before and gone :confused: Why do you need 25 cans of corn and one case of beer? I don't judge them but it does make me wonder and/or laugh. I think one time I went to the store and got ice cream, a bottle of wine, raw chicken, and carrots. It was all I needed at the time but definitely an odd mix!

6. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 31, 2011

The only time it was embarrassing to buy a pregnancy test was when my dad was with me. I didn't have a bit of a problem doing it in front of him. What I had a problem with is he was practically preening and he made the comment that we probably look like a may/december romance. Really dad?! I know he was trying to be funny but still...

Otherwise I can't think of anything I find embarrassing to buy. If I taught high school I might hesitate in front of students but otherwise, I'm good to go.

7. Mrs. Q

Mrs. Q Cohort

Aug 31, 2011

I don't like to buy "protection" - we've recently started using it again and I make hubby go. The other stuff doesn't bother me, although it used to.

8. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Aug 31, 2011

WOW! You bought a pregnancy test in front of your dad? My hat is off to you Missy. I didn't factor parents into the equation. If I was with my parents, even though they both know I'm sexually active, I would be pretty embarassed. Mom, not as much, but my DAD!?! :eek: Totally mortified.

:rofl: I don't know why, but I found that really really funny and so true!

9. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 31, 2011

I grew up with my dad. He bought my first tampons. I was visiting for the holidays and I had a professor plant the fact that my being tired in class might mean I'm pregnant. My husband had a work engagement and he wasn't with me. My dad was my ride. I couldn't stand the suspense anymore and had to know. I was married with 2 kids at the time so my dad knows I'm sexually active of course. So he took me to the drug store and yes indeed I was pregnant with my 3rd child.

10. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 31, 2011

Speaking of 25 cans of corn....

You should have seen me when I went to Walmart and loaded up with $400 worth of cordless phones (ie, 9 different phones). I was only back in the states for a bit and needed to buy a new phone and I am very hard of hearing and it takes me 20 phones to buy 1. So I was being efficient. It raised concerns and people were looking. It's funny though. I had to explain myself to workers a few times. When I came back to return the rejects, people remembered me and struck a conversation about the place I now live, etc. like we were old buddies. Funny.

11. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 31, 2011

Well, I have no need for #s 2-4. I'm not embarrassed about buying #1, even if it's a male cashier. Long ago, I used to feel a little funny, but hey, he knows what us women have to do! :)

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 31, 2011

I don't get embarrassed by anything sold in stores that your average person patronizes. All of the items listed by the OP are available in grocery and drug stores. I'm an adult. I'm not embarrassed by bodily functions and the products marketed related to such functions.

13. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Aug 31, 2011

Naw, not embarrassed to buy anything that is sold.

Our closest big box store has a lot of students that are employees, I guess I do a quick check of my cart before going through one of their lines.

14. holliday

holliday Comrade

Aug 31, 2011

Both times I've been pregnant, I've had this really strong urge during my 9th month to buy a pregnancy test and make some kind of comment about feeling "weird" to the cashier.

Ha! I never did it, though...

15. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Aug 31, 2011

Nevermind that I'm married, have a 2 year old, and TRYING to get pregnant, I hate buying the pregnancy tests. I always try to pick it up when I'm doing a large grocery run so I can blend it into the cart! LOL! I tell myself it's because I live in a smallish town and I don't need anybody knowing my business...

16. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 31, 2011

For those who are shy, you can leave your sunglasses on in line! ;)

17. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Aug 31, 2011

I don't mind any of that, but I always worry I'll run into a student when I am buying bras or underwear or walking around the mall with a Victoria's Secret bag (even if it isn't bras or panties in the bag!).

18. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 31, 2011

Heck, I've sent my father off to buy "girl" stuff! My dad is pretty unflappable with "girl" stuff, as he has 5 daughters. I've been shopping with him in the past and needed all the items listed and never thought twice about getting it in front of him.

19. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 31, 2011

The only thing that embarrasses me is that I am always worried that I will run into a student. I stop at the grocery store and pharmacy near my school a lot and they are swarming with kids. I would be embarrassed to have a male student ring me out if I was buying pads or tampons, and I would be embarrassed to have any kid ring me our for condoms or pregnancy tests.

I was embarrassed the other day - I went out to Mexican food by myself for lunch while I was running errands. I was looking at the combo plates that have 3 or 4 things on them, but they didn't have what I wanted, so I ordered 3 things a la carte. She brought out 3 dinner plates of food instead of just putting them on one plate. I looked like a pig!

20. Major

Major Connoisseur

Aug 31, 2011

21. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 31, 2011

I had a male student check out my feminine hygiene products once. It was a little awkward. I don't mind buying those other things really.

22. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Aug 31, 2011

Feminine products without a doubt. Hate it, doesn't matter if it's a female cashier or not. Even when I put the stuff in my baskets I cover it up. Oddly enough my husband will buy the stuff for me when he;s out without feeling the least bit embarrassed.

23. HWilson

HWilson Comrade

Aug 31, 2011

I had something similar happen, except my dad had a whole case of various potato chips, gave them to me and I left them in my car (in the back seat) to take to work the next day to share. Well for dinner I cooked chili so the next day I packed chili for lunch and grab a few of the tiny bags of corn chips to eat with my chili. Since they were really small bags and I like a lot of Fritos with my chili I grabbed like 3 bags. So I had the bowl of chili and the fritos in the front seat and that morning I ran through Bojangles to get a biscuit for breakfast. Well I pulled up to the window and the lady started asking me if I sold chips. I was so puzzled and just said no. She then asked why I had all those chips. I looked over at my fritos and said "oh those are for my lunch". She said "ALL of those?" And I just relied yeah. I like a lot of chips for my chili. So I pulled off and was wondering ok well maybe 3 personal size bags of fritos is a little much but I didn't see it as a big enough deal for her to be so caught off guard that she must question me. I was puzzled all the way to work about the conversation. Then I get out my car, look in the back seat and there sits the case of chips.... she was asking me about.... LOL I just laughed so hard. I thought she was asking me about the fritos and she was asking me about a whole case of chips, to which I responded I would eat them all for lunch!!! :lol:

TO answer your question, I am only embarrassed to buy #2. We havent bought them in a while but when we did I would leave the store and refuse to stand there with my husband I was so embarrassed. It does not bother me at all to buy 1 and 3. I do think about 4 but not real embarrassed.

24. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 31, 2011

I don't embarrass all that easily. I wouldn't have problems with any of that stuff.

When I bought my house, it had been vacant for a few years. It was NASTY. I had two shopping carts PILED with cleaning supplies, several different sizes of trash bags, and a shovel. I probably looked like I was trying to clean up the mess and hide the bodies.

25. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Aug 31, 2011

:lol::lol::toofunny::toofunny::rofl::rofl:
    I was literally laughing out loud while reading this thread. Made my day!!!!

I don't embarrass easily. I frequent Touch of Romance and if you aren't embarrassed there, you don't embarrass.

26. sjnkate

sjnkate Rookie

Sep 1, 2011

The pregnancy test and protection would embarass me even though I'm married and people keep asking when we're having kids! :lol:

:lol::lol::lol: That made me laugh out loud!

27. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 1, 2011

Honestly, I'm pretty comfortable in my own skin.

If I can wear a shirt proclaiming "9H HEFFALUMPS" across my chest in front of the freshman class a month after a mastectomy, there's very little I can buy in a store that will embarass me.

28. Major

Major Connoisseur

Sep 1, 2011

Re: Yours and Mine ........ strawberries and chocolate make for a good mix.............:lol:

29. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Sep 1, 2011

My neighbor asked me if it bothered me to hang my undies on the clothes line. I told her that on the clothes line it was laundry, and when in my bedroom, it was underware.

30. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Sep 2, 2011

I'm comfortable buying (or would be with a few of the ones listed) all the things on that list.

BF however, probably wished that he was invisible when I sent him to the store with a list. I was home with strep and it was before the medicine kicked in, so I was still contagious and couldn't go out.

When he got home he told me to warn him next time. I had him pick me up ice pops(normal-he was okay with that), soup (normal- still okay) feminine products and my birth control pills (he was not okay with the last two). :D:whistle:

31. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Sep 3, 2011

Beer and cigarettes
    Since I do not use either

32. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Sep 3, 2011

Last week someone posted on Post Secret's Twitter page: Whenever I'm buying something embarrassing. . . I buy a birthday card too.

I thought that was hilarious!

33. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Sep 3, 2011

I've never been pregnant, but I can totally see myself doing that. I can also see myself trying to get the father of my child to do one. :rolleyes: Just curious and if it ever turned positive for baby with the guy, I would love that as weird as that sounds.

Your dad is freaking awesome. My boyfriend grew up with mostly women, has two daughters and is really understanding of feelings BUT when it comes to female products, his belly is yellow and the only way he'll do it is if I'm really ill. His ex-wife used to make him do it and he hated it.
    I'm 27 and been teaching almost 5 years now and honestly, if I worked part time and saw one of my former teachers buying KY: Yours and Mine I would be mortified. To be honest, even if a fellow teacher at my school bought some I would feel awkward and embarassed to ring them up:lol:

34. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Sep 3, 2011

I love Post Secret and that actually is quite clever.

35. sjnkate

sjnkate Rookie

Sep 4, 2011

:lol:Genius!

36. Speechy

Speechy Comrade

Sep 5, 2011

I honestly used to think I had no shame when it came to buying things, until this situation at Barnes and Noble happened...

I was there looking for a title to a book and while I knew the name and author, I was uncertain of the section. The book was called The F*** Up (I'm guessing everyone knows what the stars represent) and when I went to the counter to ask for assistance, the only person working behind the desk was a little old lady.:lol:

For some reason I chickened out about going up there to ask her to locate it. Don't ask me why!

37. maya5250

maya5250 Comrade

Sep 5, 2011

I really haven't been embarrassed lately about anything. When I was first buying tampons and maxi pads, I was embarrassed when it was a male cashier. My dad hated buying tampons and maxi pads for my mom. The last time that I was embarrassed buying something (happened twice- at a time where I needed a ride to the store because my car was broken)- I had one friend have a shock look on my face when I bought the bulk size of maxi pads. I guess she didn't have to use as many as I do. It's just cheaper to buy bulk which can last for 3-4 periods. Another friend on a different instance was shocked about the bulk maxi pads.

38. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 7, 2011

[FONT=""][COLOR=""][SIZE=""]I thought about you guys today. I had to buy sensitive products to promote regularity and reduce swelling. No biggie except I bought three separate items all for different reasons. The check out clerk was a Japanese guy and there were soldiers lined up behind me. Inwardly I smiled as I thought about some of you that might have gone a more discreet route.[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

39. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Sep 7, 2011

I have bought every feminine product there is for my wife at different times. Even underwear. And not just the come hither kind.

40. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Sep 7, 2011

:rofl:

41. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Sep 7, 2011

1) Feminine hygiene products? Not really. I'm so used to it I don't even think about it.

2) "Protection" of a sexual nature? Hubby buys those! :D

3) Odor eaters? I've actually never purchased one before.

4) Pregnancy test? This is the one I am truly embarrassed about. Over the years, I was REALLY bad about taking my pills. Soo, of course, I've purchased several preg tests over the years. I look very young for my age. Very young (look like I am in high school). So, it just feels awkward knowing that they must think I'm some sort of teen mom.