What are you dressing up as for Halloween?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TennisPlayer, Sep 25, 2008.

1. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Oct 1, 2008

Well at my school, we aren't allowed to wear anything scary, etc. Why do Germans consider it a sin?

2. Ilovefirst

Ilovefirst Comrade

Oct 1, 2008

I was the Jolly Green Giant one year. (Not at school, but I think you could do it) Green tights, green turtleneck, green hat and I made a skirt out of leaf cut outs (from a shimmery fabric) that I sewed together on an old skirt.

We don't dress up at my school (as our P thinks it will distract the students) but I volunteer for a kid oriented halloween event. But, I am a standard witch. I have a black cape with silver cobwebs on it, I wear all black, tall pointy velvet witch hat, bright green and black striped socks, black clogs with a slight heel, and a cobweb drawn onto one cheeck. Oh yeah, black lipstick and nailpolish too. I have to get ready at school because it's a Fri. night. You should see the parents and staff look at me as I rush out the door (without the witch hat on). No one seems to get it, until I talk about the event on Monday. Last year I really scared the school secretary when I walked out of the bathroom all in black right after applying the black lipstick!

3. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

Oct 2, 2008

TennisPlayer, why don't you dress up as a Tennis Player???

4. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Oct 2, 2008

So, I've decided....

The theme of my house this year is a haunted graveyard, but I'm going to put a witch's "house" in the middle of the gravyard and serve the food from there. I'm going to be the witch. It's a little boring, but it'll go well with the theme.

5. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Oct 2, 2008

One year at a party, a friend of mine dressed up as a brick layer. Her husband was the brick and she was the mason...:eek:
    Get it--a brick layer...ouch! It was fun! :lol:

6. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Oct 2, 2008

Pics from last year's party....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

8. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Oct 11, 2008

Does anyone have any good ideas for a simple costume where you could wear your regular clothes and you just have to buy a few accessories? I'm looking for ideas for myself to wear at school since everyone dresses up! Most of the packaged costumes are not appropriate for school.

9. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Oct 11, 2008

My uncle refuses to dress up for my party...we're saying he's dressing up as a party pooper.

Does you school wear uniforms? You could wear a student uniform and say you're the world's oldest 3rd grader. If you don't have uniforms, you could still wear something similar to what they wear and say the same thing.

Do you have an "old lady" dress? Put that on with sensible shoes, put your hair in a bun and say you're an old woman.

10. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Oct 11, 2008

Couldn't you just come as a TEACHER? :D
    Walk around with a clipboard.
    Or come as a coach and get some sweats on and a whistle.

11. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Oct 11, 2008

I was going to say this! I did not read Miss Nelson when I was little ,but from subbing have and I love that book. You know I have never (even when I was in school) had a teacher dress up for holloween.

12. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Oct 11, 2008

13. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Oct 11, 2008

The person with the "blood" on her face is one of my closest friends. The food that looks like mashed taters was cauliflour covered in red food food dye...they were supposed to be "brains". :D

14. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Oct 11, 2008

Lol; it was all great.

15. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Oct 11, 2008

This year's menu is posted on "the grocery list from hades" thread. I'm doing a witch/haunted castle theme this year. I'll post pictures after the party.

16. Teacher2Be123

Teacher2Be123 Companion

Oct 13, 2008

I won't be at my placement on Halloween so I am not dressing up for that or work. However I am going to several parties with my bf and we are going as a couple from the 80s. I found this cute black dress, with neon green fishnet tights, pink converses, big hair and bangles. I can't wait!

17. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Oct 13, 2008

I will be dressing up for work. I teach kindergarten so it is fun! This year I will be a witch
    I got a black dress from Target, purple and black striped stockings, a purple hat and spider earrings. I think I have a broom, have to look for it. I will probably put on some black jewerly and do my nails black. Should be fun

18. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Oct 13, 2008

I have to proctor our state exams that week, but that evening is a giant block party in downtown Columbus. I will be a pirate and DH will be a ninja. Apparently they are mortal enemies according to our silly friends.

19. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Oct 13, 2008

They say opposites attract.....

20. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Oct 13, 2008

mmswm, how do you make those celery coffins? They are so cute (scary cute).

21. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Oct 13, 2008

They're celery mummies. Cut the celery into about 3 inch peices. Fill with cream cheese. Cut thin, short peices of ham and criss cross the ham slices and tuck inside the celery peices (use a toothpick). Cut cranberries in quarters and use for eyes.

22. blessedhands

blessedhands Comrade

Oct 14, 2008

Since I don't celebrate this time/holiday, I will be dressing up as myself.

23. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Oct 14, 2008

I just found out some teachers are having themes for all of their students such as "Cowboy/Cowgirl"

24. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Oct 14, 2008

We are also having a character dress night... I am trying to think of a popular book character that my kids would think is cool that I could dress up as???

Perhaps Mrs. Granger from Frindle? My kids would get it, but would anyone else? Any other suggestions?

25. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Oct 15, 2008

Miss Nelson from the Miss Nelson books, any hairy potter character, the teacher off the magic school bus, a character from goose bumps,babysitters club and be the world's oldest babysitter or something like that. These are all books that I know kids like. I have either seen them reading this, read it to them and it was a big hit, or seen it in the library.