What are you dressing up as for Halloween?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TennisPlayer, Sep 25, 2008.

1. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Sep 25, 2008

I am trying to think of some ideas. I don't wear scary costumes. The teachers at my school dress up so I'm starting to think about it already so I'll have something!

I'm also going to find my dog a costume but not sure what yet. We just got him last Spring so this will be his first "holiday". :lol:

3. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 25, 2008

Many schools around here don't dress up anymore & I personally haven't dressed up since 8th grade.

But, here's what I remember being in the past as a kid:

ballerina
    princess
    cowgirl
    pirate girl
    jack-in-the-box (one of my favorites!)

4. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Sep 25, 2008

Oooooh-good thread! I'm at a total loss this year. We have a HUGE party, and are doing an actual costume contest this year. I was a witch last year-I even painted my skin green. This year, though, I have no ideas. I was thinking Daphne from Scooby Doo, but I don't know. My husband is renting a Tellatubies costume...

Green witch picture: http://www.mrs.uppman.com/7.html

5. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Sep 25, 2008

We've all decided to dress up like superheroes... the whole 5th grade...teachers and students. Any kind of superhero you want. I'm thinking "Super Slob" so I can wear ....

No, perhaps Super Sleepy. I'll wear pajamas with a cape made of bathrobe material.

Super Standard...you have to have one of those schools that make you post standards all over the place. I could wear a standards poster for a cape and a sentence strip essential question for a crown.

6. SuzieQ

SuzieQ Companion

Sep 25, 2008

At one school I worked at the teachers were so creative. One grade team dressed up as the pink ladies from Grease. Another team dressed up as the In N Out Crew from a popular Southern Cali restaurant. Another grade team dressed as the 3 blind mice. My favorite was a teacher who dressed up as the girl from the book, A Bad Case of the Stripes. She even had the rainbow striped paint on her face. Very Cute! We aren't allowed to celebrate Halloween at my new school. :(

7. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Sep 25, 2008

I'm at a private school and we just dress up for fun, nothing scary, gross, etc is allowed. I'm excited to have my own class to finally have some class parties, etc for a change in the day to day!

8. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Sep 25, 2008

I wear dark blue pants and white polo shirt (our uniform) and call myself "The Worlds Oldest Sixth Grader."

9. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Sep 26, 2008

I teach Brit lit and dress up as Queen Elizabeth I. When I sweep into the room in my big-skirted gown, wigs, and jewels, the kids are floored! ;)

10. K1teach

K1teach Companion

Sep 26, 2008

I usually dress up as a doctor or a vet. My uncle gave me scrubs and a lab coat from his vet practice. It is soooo comfortable!
    As for pets... a few years ago I bought a spider costume for my dog, Daisy, off the clearance rack. Last year I took the legs and web off and attached a giant daisy that I made out of felt. She was so cute! And once she got used to it being on her back she stopped trying to chase the petals!
    I will post the picture if I can figure out how to do it!

11. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

Sep 26, 2008

I was going to start this exact same thread because I need some ideas too!!!!
    My bf wants us to go as Jack and Sally from The Nightmare Before Christmas but then we both have to purchase the costumes for it and we're kinda strapped for cash. AND it's really only cute if we're together which won't be the case at school.
    I tried doing a search for creative costumes and got mostly inappropriate (but very funny) costumes. I did see a girl once that dressed up as the "Devil in a blue dress" which I thought was cute but I don't have a blue dress.
    hmmmmm....

12. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Sep 26, 2008

13. forkids

forkids Cohort

Sep 27, 2008

I need ideas, too. I thought about Mrs. Wishy Washy from the stories(I teach Pre-K). Where could I get a red and white striped apron? I also thought about being the coconut tree from Chicka Chicka Boom Boom. Maybe brown sweats and make a leaf hat. Any ideas about how to attach the letters to the clothes and make the hat?

14. brigidy

brigidy Comrade

Sep 27, 2008

I've been a witch, little red riding hood, a greek statue (used a white bed sheet to make the costume). Other teachers have been Dorothy, scarecrow, pumpkin, prom queen...I will try to think of some others.

15. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Sep 27, 2008

I'll be a turtle, as always. I have a green dress and an aluminum turkey roasting pan that I painted green. The pan is my shell...I've drawn in the plates with a sharpie marker. It hangs on the classroom wall all year and I also use it when I teach poetry with a book titled Thirteen Moons on a Turtle's Back.

I actually hate Halloween. Always have, but we have to dress up at school.

16. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Sep 27, 2008

forkids-you could use velcro-that's how my 18 inch CCBB tree letters are attached to it.

I was a gumball machine last year. Cute and very cheap. I wrote on a clearish garbage bag .25 and cut arm and leg holes. I filled it with different colored balloons and had a friend "tie" it shut at the neck. I even made out of cardboard and tin foil the slot for the money and flap where the gum comes out. I wore a red hat with .25 on it and red capris.

17. Mrs. Q

Mrs. Q Cohort

Sep 27, 2008

I don't dress up for Halloween, I think the last time I did was in high school, back when we could dress up at school. I was always fairly tame things - a doctor, a clown, a 50s girl.

On a side note... my DS (8 months) is going to be the world's cutest duck! ;) I thought about making our dog be a chicken (they have costumes at Target) but I'm not sure how well that would go over (with him).

18. lou reed

lou reed Companion

Sep 27, 2008

I'm wearing the school uniform to work. I bought a cute but generic goddess costume for the evening.

I was tempted to go as Sarah Palin because it would be easy. Pastel suit, updo, glasses, toy gun (not to school of course.) There will probably be lots of Sarah Palins this year, though.

Last year, I went as a punk to school (blue hair, plaid and stripes, lots of jewelry and eye makeup) and the kids adored it. One ESL kid thought that "punk" meant "pimp," though, and I had to differentiate.

19. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Sep 27, 2008

We used to be allowed to dress up, but our "new" principal last year put the kabash on it. We aren't allowed to dress up and neither are our students. :(

Oh well!

20. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Sep 27, 2008

cute! :) you ought to post a picture; I'm a visual learner! :D

21. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Sep 28, 2008

I don't know how!!! I have asked before, but still can't figure it out. How embarrassing. :eek:

22. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Sep 28, 2008

Go to Walmart buy sticky back felt. Use your die cut machine and cut the letters. I did that with my zero the hero Zero. I put the paper side up in the machine and it worked out perfect!

23. peachieteachie

peachieteachie Comrade

Sep 28, 2008

I'm going to be a headless woman on Halloween for the trick-or-treaters, and I am going to an adult Halloween Party on the 25 and will probably be a part of a group costume. We were thinking about eithe Fruit of the Loom and PacMan.

24. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Sep 28, 2008

TeacherSandra-I just looked at my pic of me in my costume, and it's awful. You can't tell much from it; it's dark. :( If I can dig it up in the basement, I'll take a pic, but it won't have the balloons in it. Sorry!

25. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Sep 28, 2008

Some cute school appropriate ideas....

Dress in all green and pin felt veggie cut outs to you and tell everybody you're a tossed salad

Dress all in one color, including shoe covers, face paint and hat and tell everybody you're the color ______

Wear an old lady dress and put your hair in a bun, with a lace bun cover, with knee high nylons and old lady shoes and you're the church lady.

Dress in black and attach spider legs and you're the spider from little miss muffit or the itsy bitsy spider.

Any character from childrens books.

If you work at a christian school and you're allowed to dress up, pick a person from the Bible.

I haven't decided what I'm doing this year. I always throw a HUGE party at my house. It takes at least a week to decorate and I've been known to throw dry ice into the pool to create an enormous witch's cauldron. I do this because one of my children is a type I diabetic, and everything I serve is approved for him to eat. We have things like meatloaf rats, cauliflower brains, celery mummies, eyeball deviled eggs and punch with eyeballs and body parts for ice. I can't find the disc with the pics (I can find the prints, but not the disc), but if I do, I'll post pictures.

26. turtlegirl

turtlegirl Companion

Sep 28, 2008

My class wants me to dress up as Miss Viola Swamp from Miss Nelson is back... I think I will attempt to do so!

27. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Sep 28, 2008

I have decided to be a butterfly - dress in black and wear some butterfly wings. I just have to make some antennas.

28. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Sep 28, 2008

I don't know if I will dress up or not. but I think I will be . . . Sarah Palin. I can probably convince my husband to be McCain if I do ;) If we dress up for school I am thinking Amelia Bedelia or Junie B. Jones :)

29. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Sep 28, 2008

I am trying to talk my family into dressing as m&m's. My husband can be the package and the rest of us the m&m's

30. SuzieQ

SuzieQ Companion

Sep 28, 2008

That's a great idea. Maybe you can get a team teacher to dress up as Miss Nelson!:)

31. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Sep 28, 2008

My favorite (adult) costumes from the past few years:

*Dog the Bounty Hunter and Beth
    *KISS with dh and 2 friends
    *Farmer and a pig (I was the pig-I used bottle nipples sewed onto a fat suit)
    *Bret Michaels and the first Rock of Love winner-what was her name?-the one with the pink hair

The only thing I ever wear to school is a shirt that looks like a pumpkin. I hate dressing up during the day!

32. MrsWbee

MrsWbee Companion

Sep 28, 2008

For school I am thinking about going as Ms. Frizzle from the Magic School Bus series. I have NO idea what to do out of school... this may be the first year EVER that I haven't dressed up. We'll see. :)

33. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Sep 29, 2008

Speaking of couple's costumes, my dh and I were Britany Spears and K-Fed one year. He's a perfectionist, so he even researched the tatoo on Kevin's arm to get it right. I made the 'Golden Ticket' tank she wore, had a cheese-it bag in my back pocket and dragged a baby doll around by the arm all night. I do love her, though.

34. misteacher

misteacher Companion

Sep 29, 2008

Wear a dark blue sweatshirt that you have attached cotton balls to. Fill a spray bottle with water. You're a chance of rain!

I had a friend who wore this: Wear black sweats and sweatshirt. Use yellow electrical tape to make wide diagonal stripes. Make a hat that says "Speed Bump"

Wear an autumn colored shirt and put craft leaves on it. Then sew a leaf hanging off of a baseball cap so that it hangs in front of your face. When people ask what you are, blow the leaf so it flutters. You're a leaf blower!

Wear a Mickey shirt and mouse ears. You're a Mouseketeer!

35. turtlegirl

turtlegirl Companion

Sep 29, 2008

That would be real cute as my team teacher is a male! Wouldn't that be hilarious!:lol:

36. Mr D

Mr D Comrade

Sep 29, 2008

I am thinking about dressing up as a king...that would be fun!

37. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Sep 29, 2008

Last year I was the tooth fairy. I want to do something fun and simple. Still thinking about it.

38. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Sep 29, 2008

I apparently have a total brain block. I have scale drawings of what my house will look like, including lists of things I must purchase and build, but ME...no clue what I'll look like. *sigh*

39. TampaTeacher

TampaTeacher Comrade

Sep 30, 2008

Rather than a Halloween party, my school has a story book character parade - basically we dress as characters from children's books, and the event just happens to coincide with Halloween.

I have this renaissance-y costume, which I originally purchased to be a vampire for an adult party. I guess I could pull that old dress out and use it for it's intended purpose - to be a princess.

Sigh. But that bores me. My kids are 4th graders, so they are "waaay too cool" for fairy tails. Can anyone else think of something better to do with a velvety green and purple gown?

40. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Sep 30, 2008

I don't always dress up, but we have a theme this year for our team. We're going to be story characters with famous witches. So far we have Sleeping Beauty & Maleficent, the Wicked Witch of the West & Dorothy, and a possible Snow White & witch.

I'm the Wicked Witch of the West. My broom arrived today. Hopefully my costume will be here in a few days.

One year my husband dressed as Gene Simmons & I was a groupie.

Last year I went "emo" . . . which was big among the 8th grade girls. I teach 7th grade, so I told them I was dressed as an 8th grader.

41. Canadian Gal

Canadian Gal Habitué

Sep 30, 2008

I won't be dressing up. Most of my German friends consider it a sin, and many of students consider it a sin.