What are you doing to stay/get in shape?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Peregrin5, Jul 5, 2012.

1. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jul 5, 2012

I haven't done a serious exercise regimen since my undergrad and my health is beginning to pay the toll (and I'm growing flesh where there wasn't any before).

There are always these types of sports that I've always wanted to get into, but never could either because of the time involved, the money required, or the requirement for team or partner cooperation. i.e. soccer, skydiving, rugby, etc.

I've decided to pick up rock climbing. I'm starting off slow (not paying the membership, because I have a history of joining things and paying memberships that I don't end up actually even using) but what I've done so far has been pretty fun. I've been trying to go at least once a week, which I have thus far been able to keep up for about 4 weeks, with my BF's brother as my belay partner.

Do you guys have any plans to get in shape this summer?

3. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Jul 5, 2012

Stay away from junk food, get on the rowing machine every morning, and I NEED to use the the totalgym that we dragged from CA.:D I have only been on the dang thing 3-5 times in the last 5 years.:(
    As of now, I move around a lot with the children outside, and run with them once in a while. I need to do it more. I use to eat cheetos a lot, but I have not had any for about 3 weeks now.
    Rebel1

4. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jul 5, 2012

Oh man. I forgot about my cheetoh binges. I've been clean for about a year now. xD

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 5, 2012

I'm on FitnessPal...it keeps me thoughtful of everything I eat...I also track my workouts there and on Fitocracy. I work out and watch what I eat year round, but just started consistently logging on those sites.

6. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 5, 2012

Eat healthy. Hubby and I are looking into doing a more paleo diet.

Run. I run three times a week right now. I"m following the Bridge to 10K program.

Yoga. I do yoga every night. Right now, I was able to purchase a great deal at an awesome yoga studio of 30 days for $30 of unlimited yoga. I've been able to try out all different kinds of yoga classes. I'm in love with yoga even more now.

Hiking on the weekends. Walking around the neighborhood. Playing on the beach.

7. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jul 5, 2012

You sound very active. Hiking is amazing! And lucky! You live next to the beach!

8. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Jul 5, 2012

I was so tempted today, when a child handed me an opened bag. I started to stop at the gas station after work to get some, BUT I held my ground and did not give in. :angel:
    Rebel1

9. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 5, 2012

Yeah, we moved here last year for hubby's job, and while the move was really hard (leaving friends, family, and an awesome teaching job), I really am starting to like living here. :) Plus, I'm more active than ever. Kind of need to be when you are surrounded by young gorgeous, buff people (university town). :rolleyes:

10. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jul 5, 2012

xD

11. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jul 5, 2012

I tried one of those sites. It's hard for me to remember to keep up with things like that. How do you keep track/allot your internet time so you remember to check up with it?

12. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 5, 2012

I hate exercise--really, I do. I talked myself out of 2 workouts this morning (30-Day Shred and walking on the treadmill). An hour later, I felt guilty and did the Shred. I also have a Fitbit that tracks steps, miles and steps climbed. I log everything I eat and my exercise on MyFitnessPal; it keeps me accountable.

13. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 5, 2012

For me, it's become a habit. I eat the same breakfast every day, so that's easy. When I'm working, I log my lunch and snacks as I pack them; it doesn't take long.

14. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 5, 2012

I walk 20 miles a week (minimum) with a colleague.
    I walk the dogs, too.
    I have an elliptical machine at home.

I limit carbs, try to eat only whole grains.

15. linswin23

linswin23 Cohort

Jul 5, 2012

I hike. It's a great way to build muscle and to keep your heart rate up--it's also great to get outside and see the sights :)

16. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 5, 2012

I was really good about running 3x a week and strength training 2x a week, but for the past week or so I haven't. :( Really need to get back to it because I'm starting to see results. I just picked up a Zumba game for the XBox and did a mid-length class and felt really good so I'll probably end up doing that 2 or 3x a week.

17. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 5, 2012

It has to become a habit...I check email daily, I swing by here, I log my diet and workouts...

18. melnm

melnm Companion

Jul 6, 2012

I walk at least 2 miles a day. I do sit ups, crunches, weights, etc when I get home from my walk.

I try to limit my sugar intake and carbs. I eat lots of fruit and veggies.

19. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 6, 2012

I had been walking every afternoon, but once the heat wave hit I've been in the house. I'd kind of leveled out, too. I'm joining a gym next week. We only have one in town.

I used to love regular aerobics and kick boxing, but nobody offers classes here. I'm not sure I could do that anymore either. That was 15 years and 100 pounds ago.

20. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jul 6, 2012

I just put a bunch of workout DVDs on hold at the library (someone has one overdue so I HOPE they return it soon). I find that my interest goes down after I do the same workout a few times so I figure if they are varied I will be more likely to want to do them on a regular basis. I take evening walks too. Even if it's only for 15-30 mintues it is better than sitting on the couch. I have also started the habit of logging food/activity right before I go to bed. If you have time to check your email then you have time to quickly log onto Myfitnesspal or whatever you use.

21. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Jul 6, 2012

Since school got out I am doing 7 miles a day on my stairmaster (4 early and three about 2pm) then in my garage I do weights (curls, bench press, 300 crunches, flys etc. So about 80 minutes a day I am doing something structured.

22. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 6, 2012

House and yard work.

23. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 6, 2012

I get in my pool & walk in circles. I use my raft to hold my book.

24. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jul 6, 2012

I wish I could do that! I could easily keep up with that exercise routine. ;)

25. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 6, 2012

As long as I'm the only outside it works great!

26. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 6, 2012

sweating...LOL!!!
    I like to do stuff outside as well, yard work or walk (when I can be out without sweating as soon as I stick my leg out!!!)

27. vivalavida

vivalavida Companion

Jul 7, 2012

Healthy eating habits

Running outside

Biking

28. Ross

Ross Comrade

Jul 7, 2012

The other day I was the pool with one of my kids and we started the walking in circles as we have done many times in the past. But this time we kept it up for one hour walking at the hardest pace possible in the water. It felt like a good workout and kept cool at the same time. Maybe I will try the book on the raft and stay in there longer.

I wonder how far we walked? I guess I can try to figure out the math.

29. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 7, 2012

Walking in the pool is such a great idea! Love it!

30. Rachael84

Rachael84 Rookie

Jul 7, 2012

Gym 4x a week. I'm also going to basic training in September, that will certainly help keep me in shape. :haha:

31. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 7, 2012

I like the idea of walking in a pool too. I live in an apartment though, so I'd have to share it with stinky kids :p

32. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 7, 2012

I'll walk in one direction and then turn around and walk the other way. When it gets easy, turn back the other direction!

33. Speechy

Speechy Comrade

Jul 8, 2012

I'm honestly not doing anything. I eat what I want, and I don't calorie count or remove gluten/carbs/any food from my diet completely or obsess over what I eat or don't eat... I don't dare every deprive myself.

I get enough exercise without having to follow an exercise plan or physically exhaust myself, and most importantly: I eat to live, not live to eat.

Now, excuse me while I go drown myself in doritos and hummus! :D

34. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 8, 2012

I just found a studio in my town where they teach this one type of class that is a fusion of ballet and yoga. I'm super excited and already signed up for next week's class. :)

35. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 8, 2012

Right now I'm having a Carvel ice cream cone.

Ah well, there's always tomorrow

36. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Jul 9, 2012

I found a quote the other day that describes me perfectly...

I like running, because I really, really, really, really, really, really like dessert!

37. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 9, 2012

Good old walking at a nice pace is nice for me & my dog walks at a good pace, so he helps me! I belong to a gym, haven't been in a while, but I'll never cancel the membership because I'll never get the price I'm paying ever again. I like the elliptical crosstraining machine.

38. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 11, 2012

Hey, czacza, does FitnessPal ONLY keep track of calories, or does it also keep track of protein, carbs, fat, vitamins, and minerals?

I'm looking for a good nutrition and physical activity tracker. ChooseMyPlate has one, but it doesn't have a lot of the food that I eat like almond milk on it's data base.

39. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 11, 2012

Thanks, I'll try out SparkPeople.

ETA: Well, I just joined and entered today's food. While it's easy to use and has all food in their data base, it didn't tell me specific vitamin and mineral information. Bummer.

40. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 11, 2012

MyFitnessPal does provide a breakdown of things beyond calories if you use the app. You even get a daily pie chart. :) It will give you details for calories, fat, carbs, protein, sodium, fiber, and more.

ETA: Oh, I eat some pretty uncommon foods and they are all in there.

41. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 11, 2012

In the last 6 months, I have learned to embrace exercise. I've done all kinds of stuff: snorkeling, kayaking, circuit training, yoga, zumba, swimming, walking (miles), racket ball, exercise videos, river trekking, water tubing, ice skating and who knows what else!

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Zumba! I've dropped it for now though to follow a new path--weight lifting.

I also log into My Fitness Pal.