What are you doing this week??

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MissScrimmage, Dec 19, 2010.

1. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Dec 19, 2010

I realize some of you are on holidays already, but for those of us with a few days left, what are your plans for the week?? I am running out of ideas to keep everyone engaged and on task. I don't want to start new units, so as I wrap things up, I need suggestions.

What are you doing this week??

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Dec 19, 2010

I'm already on break...but I would focus on lots of review activities.

What have you taught so far? With my kiddos, we would work on fractions and decimals a little more in math. They can always use more work on this. In reading, I would pull out short stories or nonfiction articles to work on our reading strategies, especially cause and effect. In writing, I would have them write short stories maybe as a group. Give each group a topic, every writes for three minutes. Then pass their papers and give 1 minute read time and two minute writing time. This continues until the original writer has their paper back and can write the ending.

Make different winter items showing the parts of speech (snowmen performing a verb, snowflakes portraying different adjectives, etc).

If you teach ancient civ like us, you could research winter or the holidays in Greece, Egypt, etc.

4. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Dec 19, 2010

We go until Thursday which is a half-day. I had no choice but to schedule a chapter test for Wed. because if I wait until after the break, they'll probably forget everything! :) So, Mon. and Tues. are review days and Wed. is the test. On Thurs., we'll play U.S. Government Jingo (like Bingo but a learning game) and one winner per class will get a prize.

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Dec 19, 2010

Sounds like fun!

6. nasirahc83

nasirahc83 Companion

Dec 19, 2010

We are doing the similar some review days since the students have reading and social studies unit test one on tuesday and one on wednesday. Wednesday the students will get a movie in the afternoon and thursday is party.

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 19, 2010

I'm proctoring Monday and Tuesday, as well as the first hour and half Wednesday.

Then, at 10:35 Wednesday, the kids take their math trimesters.

8. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Dec 19, 2010

This is our second week into Trimester Two. My Western Civ. students will be diving into the High Middle Ages and we have an in-class essay scheduled for Tuesday. I lose my AP Euros this term to the other AP Euro teacher, but I've picked up a section of AP US Gov (seniors) which I'm teaching for the first time in awhile. They'll be having their first Unit Test on the Articles of Confederation and the Founding of a New Government on Tuesday. Wednesday we will begin our unit on the Executive Branch by watching an episode of the West Wing and we'll enjoy ourselves with some baked goodies that I've made and the students will bring in.

9. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Dec 19, 2010

Oh! I forgot that I have a solar system bingo game to go with our unit! I should pull that out tomorrow. Also, I realized we should learn some French Christmas vocab this week. I google searched and found some Christmas carols in French - that will be fun for the students.

10. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Dec 19, 2010

Maybe you could even carol around the school (office, lunch room, other classes, etc).

11. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Dec 19, 2010

Tomorrow we have a holiday assembly. Freshmen have a class meeting on Tuesday to lecture them about their horrible grades. Wednesday we are having an anti-bullying advisory period. Wednesday and Thursday the students have to take their standardized 4sight test for data. My school really knows how to spread the Christmas spirit.

We are going to start talking about Shakespeare a bit tomorrow and then my seniors are going to watch a movie -I can't decide between Shakespeare in Love, Much Ado, or Midsummer. Trying to decide the direction I want to go.

Creative writing students are writing letters to santa (or their parents) at 4 stages in their life and then we are going to donate them to Macy's.

Freshmen, poor freshmen, are taking a test for me on Monday and Tuesday, and taking the school required test on Wednesday/Thursday.

Any down time will involve Apples to Apples. :)

12. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Dec 19, 2010

Your poor freshman...my term exams are so long that I need to use two class periods for them. Yup, I'm that mean. Our freshman are tanking as well, very low grades.

13. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Dec 19, 2010

Freshman tanking. Is that a pattern now?

14. jennyd

jennyd Companion

Dec 19, 2010

Uhg. Quite honestly, I'm planning on doing all regular work, and wrapping up as much as I can because when we come back we've got 2 weeks and then mid-term exams.

When I was self-contained it was easier to work in some more fun things, but now that they switch classes I find it best to keep things as structured as possible.

15. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Dec 19, 2010

FIELD TRIP!!! We planned a field trip for this week.

We had a snow day on Friday, so I'm just going to do Friday's plan tomorrow.

16. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Dec 19, 2010

We have finals on Monday and Tuesday, then we are done.

17. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Dec 19, 2010

Last week, Our class baked cookies (actually, we just placed Pre-made cookies onto a cookie sheet due to time and budget restraints) and then handed them out as we caroled to several classes in the school. Our caroling was also a way to help us practice our song for the Christmas concert.

This week we are in until Thursday. Tomorrow, I have a sub in so that I can do some job shadowing before I start my new job in January! Tuesday is the dress rehearsal for the concert, and Wednesday is the Christmas concert. I haven't quite decided what to do on Thursday.

18. thirdgradebuzz

thirdgradebuzz Comrade

Dec 19, 2010

We have a field trip to a nursing home tomorrow to sing carols and hand out cards to residents at a nursing home near the school. Several of the kids have grandparents or relatives there.

Tomorrow we will do a snowflake craft and watch Polar Express, and a science experiment where we make butter-- luckily the chapter we are on is states of matter (and the experiment is one which I read about here at this site!)

Wednesday we have assemblies most of the morning, and the kids are out at 1:00.

19. teachgrade5

teachgrade5 Comrade

Dec 19, 2010

I am planning on doing hands-on science activities tomorrow. We also need to make thank you cards for a Donors Choose project. In the afternoon we are going to watch Holes. We were suppose to be finished with school on Friday but we had a snow day last week so we have to make it up tomorrow. I wonder how many students won't show up since we weren't suppose to be in school tomorrow.

20. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Dec 19, 2010

We go until Wednesday, which they call a half day but we don't get out until 12:45. Be real and call it a 3/4 day. We are having a Christmas program Wednesday morning, so in reality, I only have two classes on Wednesday. We have our last poinsettia order going out to a church Wednesday afternoon, so 1st hour will be working on dressing those plants and getting them ready to go on Wednesday. 4th hour is doing an activity with Christmas carols. I have the same class 5th hour and don't want to get ahead in 4th hour. As for Monday and Tuesday, we were told last month that we have to give semester finals. We are reviewing in all classes Monday and taking the exams on Tuesday. They are all open note and they can use any materials that they have, so as long as they have everything, they should be fine.

21. Miss84

Miss84 Comrade

Dec 19, 2010

We have to go back for ONE day this week-and let me be honest-not too much of anything is going to be going on lol. Centers, a movie, and rehearsal for the Christmas program that afternoon.

22. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Dec 20, 2010

Today, we did some work in the morning (math test, wrapping up a few things). This afternoon the 1st-4th grades (1 class per grade) rotated between the 4 teachers and did a lesson on Christmas in a different country. At the end of the day we had a school-wide publishing party for the books each student wrote, complete with cookies and cocoa.

Tomorrow we have chapel, Christmas program practice, about 20 minutes of classroom time (we'll wrap our parent gifts), lunch, geography bee, school sing-along, and class parties.