What are you doing on the first couple of days?

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by Mrs. Mom, Aug 9, 2009.

1. Mrs. Mom

Mrs. Mom Cohort

Aug 9, 2009

Here it is, my tenth year of teaching, and I'm once again trying to find fun but useful things to do the first couple of days before really digging in to the curriculum. Does anyone have any good team building activities (not just cute ice breakers-my kids all know each other) OR easy science experiments to introduce the scientific method?

3. Musicalgator

Musicalgator Companion

Aug 9, 2009

You can google Save Fred (I think it was posted on here a month or so ago) you can do the scientific process while building team work. I haven't planned too much of my day yet...I better get on it.

4. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Aug 9, 2009

Hi,

I was wondering what are some good activities to do with 3rd graders for the first couple of days too? I am being moved from 2nd to 3rd and have 13 of the 20 children from my 2nd grade class coming with me next year.

Since I have so many of the same children, I am trying to come up with other activities since I cannot really repeat what I did from 2nd.

Thanks!!!

5. Mrs. Mom

Mrs. Mom Cohort

Aug 12, 2009

My kids are copying a poem so I can assess printing skills. We might start word wall chants, we are doing a spaghetti noodle/marshmallow/gumdrop team building activity, math drill....that's all I know for sure.

6. Deeena

Deeena Cohort

Aug 12, 2009

Mrs. Mom,

Could you explain the spaghetti, noddle, marshmallow, gumdrop team building activity? It sounds like something I may want to try with my class.

7. kacieann

kacieann Companion

Aug 12, 2009

I am planning on completing the Mentos experiment as a class for scientific experiment. I am also having my students complete an ice cube and salt experiment on their own. PM me your email if you would like a copy of the experiment.

8. ms. yi

ms. yi Comrade

Aug 12, 2009

I did this one team building activity in college and it was a lot of fun. I think third graders could handle it. To prepare, you build a monster (could be something else) out of legos (or any other construction material like pattern blocks, cubes, etc.) and place this outside your door (or somewhere not visible to the class). You then group the students and assign them jobs. I don't quite remember the names of them but here's how the activity goes.

You have one student go out and look at the creature. They have to come back in and tell another student what it looks like so that this student can get the appropriate materials. Then this student tells one other how to build it. Basically, this is an activity for building communication skills. They can go look at the creature as many times as they want but only the student whose job it is to look can look at it. Sorry if it doesn't make too much sense but it was pretty fun.

9. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Aug 12, 2009

I made a scrambled school words puzzle and word search of all their names for morning work. We'll introduce ourselves by telling our favorite ice cream flavors, and then see how many we can remember (they already know each other, but I'm still working on some names!) I will share my "Me Bag" with them, and we will work on theirs throughout the week. We'll organize all of our supplies and put together our organization binders. In the afternoon I am going to the boat building activity mentioned somewhere else on the boards--I'll give them some clay, foil, and popsicle sticks and they'll design and build the boat that they think will hold the most weight (I guess now will be a good time to empty out my change jar :) ). We will also play 20 questions--they will have the option of asking a question about me, asking a question about third grade, or answering a question from me.

In the first week we will also be writing goals for the year, completing a get-to-know you glyph (and then using that for writing and graphing projects), watching a movie about standing up to bullying and doing some activities with that, along with all the assessments, housekeeping, procedures, etc....

10. pamms

pamms Comrade

Aug 12, 2009

This sounds fun! So the person )#1) who sees the creation tells one person (#2) what materials to get and then tells the 3rd person how to build it, or does the 2nd person somehow tell the 3rd person how to build it??

11. NJTeacher82

NJTeacher82 Rookie

Aug 13, 2009

i get different colored stickers. I stick one on each of the students cheek. Then, without talking, they have to group themselves into groups of all the same color. We then discuss why working together is important.

12. Mrs. Mom

Mrs. Mom Cohort

Aug 13, 2009

13. MissKH81

MissKH81 Rookie

Aug 20, 2009

Thanks for this! Love it. Totally going to use it :)

14. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Aug 22, 2009

We did the boat building with a piece of foil, some clay, and popsicle sticks. They absolutely LOVED it! Then we talked about the scientific process and how they used it in building their boats.