What are you doing for Valentine's day?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Jem, Jan 29, 2009.

1. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jan 29, 2009

Miss Froggy had me thinking about this, but I didn't want to hijack her thread. I think she wanted more advice, but I was wondering what you guys are actually doing.

My birthday is Feb. 12, but I always tell dh he must celebrate the two holidays seperately. Well, last year he was on a business trip for both days, so it was kind of lame. This year, my parents are flying me back to MI for my present, so I'LL be gone for both days!

I guess we'll celebrate V-day on Tuesday and my birthday on Wednesday, as technically I'll be here on midnight of Wednesday to turn 27. I'm getting dh a massage at my health club and a huge cooler full of gourmet root beer. Dh doesn't drink, so he's chosen root beer as his drink of choice. We've had fun choosing bottles at our local grocery store, but I've heard Bev-Mo has a whole wall of root beer. I'm going to grab one of each bottle and fill a whole ice chest with them. And a carton of ice cream for floats. I'm sure he'll be drinking the whole time I'm gone. ;)

3. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Jan 29, 2009

We are going to go out to dinner on the 13th. I think we may go to the Melting Pot since we both love fondue.
    On the 14th I think we may just stay in relax and cook dinner.

4. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jan 29, 2009

I would love to go out to dinner but restaurants are always so crowded on Valentine's day. We might just stay home and go out another night. Last Vday we waited an hour for a table and we had reservations!!!

5. TampaTeacher

TampaTeacher Comrade

Jan 29, 2009

Ugh! My husband and I will be MOVING. We'll be tired, grimy and cranky, and we'll probably eat pizza from a box on the living room floor.

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 29, 2009

We'll probably just stay home.

7. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jan 29, 2009

Our dinner tradition for V-day is pot pies. We use to buy them, and then carve hearts into the top. But recently we've made them-so good!

I love eating off the floor when moving. When we moved out to San Francisco from Michigan, we arrived at the airport on our first anniversary. I had to carry the top of our cake as carry-on. We were so tired when we got to our new place that I remember I hardly had my eyes open as I ate the cake, but that was a good thing, as it didn't look that great after the trip. But it was on the floor, eaten with our fingers.

8. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jan 29, 2009

We will also probably stay home... I wanted to go see Mike Birbiglia, but I just saw online that his show here is cancelled.

I have a 3 day weekend that weekend, so maybe I will surprise dh with a night away. Hmmmm decisions, decisions...

9. MissJennifer

MissJennifer Companion

Jan 29, 2009

Our church has a really fun Valentine's day banquet every year as a fundraiser for the college group. This year it's actually on Valentine's Day - so we'll be doing that. Maybe head to the coast for the day on Sunday or Monday since it's a 3 day weekend!

10. irx7fani

irx7fani Rookie

Jan 29, 2009

Just ordered Roses today, and we will be going to Sea World. I don't know why but my girlfriend loves theme parks. So we will go to Sea World, then eat dinner at a French Restaurant that is highly rated. Hopefully their food is not just hype. After dinner we will go to this dessert bakery that is also highly rated among people. Then we'll go home. Good thing Valentine's is on a weekend this year. =D

11. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Jan 29, 2009

Personally, I hate Valentine's Day. It's not even b/c I'm single. I used to work for a florist, and I just dread it. I'll prolly go out with friends and I want to see "Confessions of a Shopaholic."

I had a stressful Valentine's Day last year. I wasn't even dating anyone, nor was I even thinking about dating anyone, but was the target of a badddd prank. I'm hoping for something more low key and less stressfull this year. :)

12. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Jan 30, 2009

Oh Jem we have the same birthday!

My fiancee's birthday is Feb 9th, mine is the 12th, so by the 14th we're usually celebrated out! We might just wait till that weekend though, because we have a half day Friday and no school Monday, so I might be awake enough to go out for dinner!

I told him we had to go to the winery/bistro that I loooove...but it's a little pricey so that will probably be 'for' all 3 days!

13. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jan 30, 2009

What is this "Valentine's Day" you speak of?

Ohh... right... you mean Singles Awareness Day. :rolleyes:

14. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jan 30, 2009

Aw, sorry, Miss Kirby. I've always loved it because my birthday (and Danny's Nanny's!!) falls so close. Red and pink just scream happiness, and I love the hearts and lace and tulips. Even when I was single. My parents use to throw me V-day themed b-day parties, complete with home-made pinatas (brown grocery bags with a heart on the front cut out of red Christmas wrapping paper....). So I guess that's why I get so excited.

15. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jan 30, 2009

Haha don't be sorry, I'm just poking fun! I love Valentine's Day with my students. :) Who needs a boyfriend when I have 20 Valentines already. Haha.

16. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 31, 2009

Let's see! I'm sure go out for a nice dinner. As far as gifts to give each other, we'll probably not be as extravagent as in previous yrs. Going to the movies would be fine w/ me.

17. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Jan 31, 2009

My birthday is on the 13th & sometimes we have double celebration. I'm really don't much one way or the other. A nice dinner out is sufficient. One thing, though, is that I tend to remember last minute that I need to get my dh something too since it's V day. This year I'm thinking of flying to the east coast for my bday to meet up with dh. Well see since we've have some drama in my grade level & don't want to make it more stressful. I have to make a decision soon.

18. MsT

MsT Rookie

Jan 31, 2009

Luckily for me, my boyfriend is a wonderful cook! I would love to have a romantic picnic at home - cheese fondue, chocolate covered strawberries, etc. I am a homebody and I think the restaurants will be too crazy!

19. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Jan 31, 2009

Nothing. We don't really recognize it I guess, it's just another day. Every time I tell someone that they think I'm crazy. I guess I could give the old "It's so commercialized" view but I don't really care that it is, I've just never cared to celebrate it!

It's nice to hear what you guys are doing though, hehe. :)

20. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 31, 2009

The 5 of us will probably do takeout.

Then, a day or 2 later, Peter and I will probably go out. And he'll get me a bouquet of flowers-- he always does! :)

21. Kase

Kase Companion

Jan 31, 2009

How lame is this?! My boyfriend is going to some conference thing with his boss! He would rather spend Vday with him instead of me! What a poopy head!

22. TampaTeacher

TampaTeacher Comrade

Jan 31, 2009

That's such a sweet story! Yeah, I think we'll have a good night, even if we are exhausted.

23. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jan 31, 2009

Dh was on a business trip last year for b-day and v-day. He was in Vegas, talking to a dealership, and went to the Playboy club! Grrrr.... :rolleyes:

24. fuzed_fizzion

fuzed_fizzion Comrade

Jan 31, 2009

We have my son's basketball game in the afternoon, then we will probably go do something as a family after that. Other than that we have nothing planned. We are not big into Valentine's day.

25. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jan 31, 2009

We will be going out for a quiet dinner at an Italian place in town then home for dessert.:whistle:

26. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Feb 1, 2009

I'll be at a basketball tournament on Valentines Day. Who schedules these things? I bet it wasn't a woman! :rolleyes:

27. Kase

Kase Companion

Feb 1, 2009

Yeah, I can't get too mad because I think we're going to celebrate it during the day which is completely fine by me since I love day better than night!

28. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Feb 13, 2009

I still need to go out and get a card today so I can give it to him tomorrow! We'll have lunch somewhere since the place I tried to make reservations for is already booked. I had a gift card there that I've been saving--- I guess we can save that for next weekend. We're used to celebrating on whatever day works best and since tomorrow is a Saturday, it'll work!

I hope everyone has a happy time tomorrow whether you're in a relationship or not.

29. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Feb 13, 2009

I am giving my guy a gooseberry plant for VD. Ever since my parents moved off the "farm", we have been without gooseberries. The plants are hard to find, as you can not take them across state lines. Don't know why. But, I know he will be happy. I will cook, as I always do. The restaurants are too busy during the week end without it being VD.

30. Kase

Kase Companion

Feb 13, 2009

OH MY GOD!! So I walked in the door after I got home from work and my boyfriend had cleaned the whole entire apartment and had soft music playing! He even stayed in his slacks, shirt and tie for me to present it! He looked so cute and was so excited! And then on the end table I saw this cute stuffed dog with a box of chocolates underneath! It was THE best Vday gift I have ever received!!!!

31. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 14, 2009

Strawberries and whipped cream for breakfast. Hubby ordered me a PJgram which arrived this morning. I have the chocolate covered chipotle hazelnuts from Trader Joes and an engraved business card holder for him for later. We're making 'mediterranean' dinner tonight- pita bread, hummus, feta cheese, couscous, roasted peppers...eating in front of fire place. :love::love::love:

oh...and flowers just arrived...he's the best. :wub:

32. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Feb 14, 2009

We went out to a nice Italian dinner last night. Tonight we are making dinner - tacos and rice krispie treats for dessert.

33. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Feb 14, 2009

DH and I exchanged cards, and we bought our annual box of chocolates last week. I'm cooking supper tonight. DH wanted to see a movie last night, but it was sold and and we saw a different one. So, he wants to try his again tonight.

I don't feel all that great, but I might as well go out.

34. Kase

Kase Companion

Feb 14, 2009

So after I got done getting dressed this morning, I walk into our kitchen and sitting on the counter was this pink stuffed hedgehog holding a little heart and there was a pink rose and a hollow piece of chocolate shaped like an apple. It was totally unexpected! My boyfriend is so sweet!

35. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Feb 14, 2009

I am with you. I have spend most of the day working on homework and studying for a test I have on Monday that I think I will fail anyway. I did go out to check the mail about an hr ago and I got a card from my mom it was so sweet!

36. New3rdTeacher

New3rdTeacher Comrade

Feb 14, 2009

I don't like Valentines day...so nothing

37. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 14, 2009

I saw someone on a news program this morning who was single and decided to treat himself nicely today...go out, gt your nails done, a massage, take yourself to the movies, buy yourself a new outfit- :love:

38. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Feb 14, 2009

Nothing! Newly divorced and just going to sit and enjoy myself.

Did my nails, got my shoes for the school's big fundraising ball, and I going to dye my hair.

39. adventuresofJ

adventuresofJ Comrade

Feb 14, 2009

I got strawberry pancakes in bed and I sent him bamboo stalks to work in a nice vase.

40. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 14, 2009

Good for you, yarn!! Have fun at the ball!:angel:

41. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Feb 14, 2009

I'm home with my parents for the weekend, and was suppose to meet up with a friend for dinner. She bailed, so we tried the Outback. They had a 2 hour wait, so dad made eggs and bacon, I got lobster bisque and an Oreo McFlurry from McDonalds. The PERFECT Valentine's dinner. We're going to watch a movie on the San Francisco earthquake and just enjoy being together as a family.