What are you doing for the summer?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by jen12, May 20, 2010.

1. jen12

jen12 Devotee

May 20, 2010

I've been sending out resumes with no luck so far. What I want to do is go back to an office environment for a couple of months. It pays more than anything involving kids (which is so backwards, it's nuts) AND I want the break. My mom keeps throwing out suggestions for summer work like summer camp, tutoring, babysitting...she means well, and her thought is that it's experience on a resume, but I really just don't want to be responsible for kids for a while.

So...unless some temp agencies come through with some daily work, I may just have a lot of extra time to work out this summer. I certainly won't be shopping or spending money!:(

What are you up to?

3. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

May 20, 2010

I want to try to find a full time job in the school system...either aide job or tutoring job...I will also be working my 2nd job...I have VBS at my church a week in June that I always help with and then a week in July I will be going (hopefully if I can get off work) to KIDS camp with my church as a camp counslor. I did that last yr and loved it. I also, want to take a weekend and go 3 hrs away to visit my family which I have done (use to be a week or longer but now that I am an adult with a job and all not possible) since I was born!

4. Unbeknownst

Unbeknownst Cohort

May 20, 2010

I'm currently working full-time editing for the government. I'm almost finished with this 100-page document I've been working on for three days. I get to do two more after this :)

Also, my last day here is July 30, and I begin my teaching August 16. I get a two week "vacation" (I'll be working on school stuff and moving into a home) before school starts.

5. newsub_oldlady

newsub_oldlady Rookie

May 21, 2010

and you can't tell a regular employer it's just for the summer, unless they really want just that. So do you just quit in August?

6. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

May 21, 2010

I'll be job searching (unless something comes up before summer) and working my part-time job.

7. jen12

jen12 Devotee

May 21, 2010

Are you asking me? Yes. At this point, I'd take what I could get and not say that I intend it to be temporary.

8. indaydutay

indaydutay Rookie

May 21, 2010

Applying for temporary jobs!

9. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

May 23, 2010

I will be working in a summer camp at this preschool I am currently interning at. I will also be taking some classes and in the fall I will be continuing to work in the preschool.

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 23, 2010

I'm working:
    - a week (1 full session) of summer school at my school
    - one morning a week teaching an SAT prep class
    - freelance math content writing.
    - a week upstate in Lake George
    - lots of time on the deck, watching the kids in the pool.

11. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 23, 2010

I agree w/ you jen12. When school's out, I'd personally want a job that does NOT involve kids whatsoever. We all need a break away. Of course if I really, really needed the money, I guess I would work a job w/ kids again.

Well, I'm taking 2 online courses that started this past Mon. I've applied to an SLPA program that I'll hopefully get accepted to & start this fall. If all goes well, this 09-10 school yr will be the last yr I substitute, but if all else fails, I'll sub again next yr.