What Are You Doing for Thanksgiving?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TeacherSandra, Nov 14, 2009.

1. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Nov 14, 2009

Has anyone started their Thanksgiving Menu?

I'm just now starting to think about. I'm thinking of doing a turkey breast instead of a whole turkey. Just a thought though.

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 15, 2009

We're going to my sister's. Another sister and her husband, along with my mom and Peggy's inlaws will all be there as well.

My other sister and brother live a good 45 minutes to an hour away. I think they're getting together.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 15, 2009

My husband's family comes- but not all at once. MIL, FIL and one BIL will come on Wednesday. We'll have 9 for dinner on Thanksgiving, then SIL comes later in evening with her kids (they eat at her in-laws but want to come here anyway-it's a 4 hour drive for them). On Friday, other BIL arrives with his daughter, sometimes wife comes, sometimes not (4 hour drive for them as well). On Saturday everyone leaves...It's kind of like running a bed and breakfast.

Earned my 'free' turkey at the grocery store so I'll pick that up this week. Looking at changing some of my sides- CookingLight has some great recipes for Thanksgiving this month.

5. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Nov 15, 2009

My husband won a free turkey at work so we'll be having that. I don't know if we're cooking at home or at my MIL's house. My husband has to work on Thanksgiving so we might just meet at her house since it's closer to his job. I don't know what I'll be making besides my special cranberry sauce, spicy cranberry meatballs and maybe a dessert.

6. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Nov 15, 2009

Can you share the spicy meatball recipe? Sounds yummy

7. Goldie

Goldie Companion

Nov 15, 2009

I am going to my sister's in the "big city" for 5 days. Besides the traditional turkey dinner and board games, shopping is on the list. I've already been online "window" shopping. There are some things I need to see in real life!!

8. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Nov 15, 2009

I'll be going to my parent's. in-laws are out of town and grandparents go to my parent's too. I make cranberry sauce and an appetizer (not sure what that will be) and everyone else brings other stuff - Turkey, chicken and dressing, sweet potatoes, green bean bundles, green bean casserole, homemade yeast rolls and lots of pies.

9. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Nov 15, 2009

Sure :) I use ground turkey and mix it with scallions and cumin, one egg and breadcrumbs and roll them into cocktail sized meatballs (the recipe I had said you could use frozen meatballs of any kind). The sauce is just heating up a can of jellied cranberry and mixing it with a small bottle of hotsauce and as much spices as you want (cumin, cayenne) to taste. People in my family go nuts over these meatballs. I have heard you can use grape jelly also.

10. Sagette

Sagette Companion

Nov 15, 2009

We are going to my parents. We are bringing the pumpkin gooey cake and raspberry butter cookies! Yum!

11. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Nov 15, 2009

We're going to the mountains to visit my husband's brother and family. Think snow!

12. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Nov 15, 2009

We're heading up to NorCal and will be having dinner with my DD's boyfriend's family. First time meeting them, too. We're going to try to bring a frozen sweet potato pie up with us on the plane - experimenting with a slightly different recipe today!

13. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Nov 16, 2009

I am cooking! I don't mind, I actually like to entertain my family. My parents will be coming in from out of town, and my husband's family. This is our first holiday without my father in law.

14. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Nov 16, 2009

Oh yeah, my mom makes those with grape jelly and chili sauce. I think they sound better with cran and the spices and hot sauce though. yum...

15. silver rain

silver rain Comrade

Nov 16, 2009

I am cooking for the whole mob!:D
    Turkey, dressing, giblet gravy, yams, mashed taters, corn, green beans, cole slaw, rolls.......
    I think hubby is also bbqing some ribs and bisket.
    Hopefully someone is bringing desserts because I know I won't have time to bake....
    My mob will number about 40.....
    But I love having most of my family around...:D

16. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Nov 16, 2009

We have done that in the crock pot...well, hubby has...so good!!!

17. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Nov 16, 2009

This is the last year we're piling in the car and heading to Rockhubby's dad's house in the woods of Virginia. They're moving here in 2010, so we wanted to say goodbye to their beautiful house before they downsize into their beautiful condo. We'll have Thanksgiving at our house next year.

18. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 17, 2009

I'm staying in town, going w/ my BF to his family's for a few hrs & to eat (which I won't do much of because I'm saiving my appetite for food at my house), then him & I are going back to my/parents' house for the rest of the day to eat more. Maybe we'll go to the movies later on.

19. Securis

Securis Cohort

Nov 17, 2009

A little travel. Home to visit parents and family for the actual day. I have a minis tournament to play on Sat. and maybe a real life honest to goodness date in New Orleans on Mon. The second weekend is another family get together. I hope to get at least two days of fishing in at some point, which reminds me, I need to renew my license.

20. Sciteach9

Sciteach9 New Member

Nov 18, 2009

Having thanksgiving with my family.
    We're having turkey, giblet gravy, stuffing, cranberry sauce, sweet potato pie, yams, and mashed potatoes; all homemade.

21. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Nov 18, 2009

First Thanksgiving without my family..but I will be spending it with great friends and having some great food! I will skype them so it will feel like I am home at least for a little bit :)

22. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 18, 2009

On a side note....

Shady Brook Farms turkeys were on sale yesterday for $0.47/lb. I got Christmas dinner for $7.50 :)