What are you doing for Mother's day???

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by fiskeda, Apr 17, 2010.

1. fiskeda

fiskeda Rookie

Apr 17, 2010

I need some ideas for mothers day!!!!!! thanks!!!!

3. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Apr 18, 2010

I got wooded flowe picture frames from oriental trading for the children to paint and I'll take their pictures and put their pic in the frame. I might help them make chocolate roses too--

4. beckyeduk8er

beckyeduk8er Comrade

Apr 18, 2010

mothers day ideas

Here are some ideas I have in my files:

This first one is my favorite and I do it every year. Ask you students questions about their mom and type up the answers with a picture the students draws of their mom.

My Mom By:______ This is my Mom. (they will draw a picture of Mom.) I think my Mom looks just like_______. Do you know how old my Mom is? She is ___ years old. My Mom weighs about ____ pounds. My Mom works hard all day. She is a _________. My Mom can ______ better than anyone else I know. I would not trade my Mom for anything, not even_________. If I could I would buy my Mom ________ for Mother's Day. Happy Mother's Day! Love, ______.

Here are some extra questions. I change the questions up a bit each year.

My Mommy is ____ years old.
    She weighs _________, and is _____ ft. tall.
    Her hair is _________ and her eyes are ________ .
    My Mommy loves to relax in _____________ and she likes to wear ________.
    She loves to cook ________.
    Her favorite household chore is ___________________________.
    Her favorite TV show is ______________ and her favorite song is __________.
    Mommy always tells me ______________________.
    It makes her happy when I ______________________________.
    When my Mommy shops she loves to buy _________________________.
    If she could go on a trip, she would go _____________ and she would take
    ____________ . I really love it when my mom __________________.
    She’s the best!! I love you Mom!

A "Spoonful of Love".
    materials per child: 1 plastic spoon, 2 Hershey kisses, a square of netting, ribbon, poem below printed out to attach

A spoonful of love
    And a couple of wishes
    That you enjoy your
    To prepare, I write "Mothers Day 20__" on the handle of the spoon Then the kids put their kisses in the spoon and wrap the tulle around the spoon and kisses. Working together, the child and I tie a ribbon around the tulle at the base of the handle. Then we attach the poem .
    Handprint Flower

Glue a white paper on top of a larger colored paper. Paint the child's
    palm any color.
    Child presses down about the center or slightly above. Now paint the
    child's fingers using
    another color and have child press down above palm print. The child
    may add a cut out heart
    for the center of the flower. Colored paper leaves and stem may be
    added. Here is the poem:

A piece of me
    I give to you.
    I painted this flower
    To say "I love you."

The heart is you.
    The hand is me.
    To show we are friends-
    The best there can be.

I hope you will save it
    And look back someday
    At the flower we shared
    On your special day.
    When I am at school, or when we are far apart,
    You may get a little sad, But you are always in my heart.
    So here is a hug for when I am away,
    To remember that I love you,
    Each and every day

Use this poem between the child's handprints or on a self portrate

5. fiskeda

fiskeda Rookie

Apr 18, 2010

Thank you love them!!!!!

6. Kase

Kase Companion

Apr 19, 2010

I found some great ones on perpetualpreschool.com as well. I think my toddlers are going to make coffee filter flower bouquets. :D

7. japanesemacaque

japanesemacaque Rookie

Apr 19, 2010

We happened to have some air-dry clay available, and my 4's are really getting into sculpting. So I taught them how to make a pinch pot, and we're going to paint the results and fill it with colored rocks and a little fake flower- we'd use real flowers but every time we water them, the clay gets wet. This way it'll last forever. :)

8. gpsysngbrd

gpsysngbrd Companion

Apr 19, 2010

I am a bit of an ametuer photographer so last week on "Fancy Day" I took the kids out by the big evergreens and got some nice pictures of them. Got some frames at IKEA and had planned to let the kids decorate the frames but the pictures look so nice in the nice clean frames I cant bear to let the kids go all crazy on them! Instead, I found some pot holders I ordered from Oriental Trading a million years ago and will let the kids decorate those to wrap with their pictures.

9. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Apr 19, 2010

We're planting flowers either Friday or early next week. I'm going to help my kiddos make thumbprint/fingerprint bugs on those small terra cotta pots (they're cheap at Michael's), and we'll replant the flowers into the pots right before mother's day.

One year, I did a cookbook. We had a cooking week, so we had all the kids dictate the recipe for "the best thing mom makes" andi llustrate it. We included the recipes that we'd used during the year in the classroom. Work on our part (collating, copying, binding, etc), but they turned out awesome and the parents loved it.

10. Kase

Kase Companion

Apr 19, 2010

Do you guys have any more ideas geared toward Toddlers? I like to let them do the majority of the work so anything simple that a mother would love, would be great! Thank you!

11. Maxadoodle

Maxadoodle Comrade

Apr 19, 2010

We are also using air-dry clay to make "elbow" pots, which are pinch pots made with elbows instead of thumbs/fingers. We are adding texture and painting with watercolors before they dry to save a step.

12. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Apr 20, 2010

Kase, what about picture frames... you can use just about anything to frame either a photo or a handprint ;)

13. K3 teacher

K3 teacher Companion

Apr 20, 2010

We make ladybug pins with plaster of paris poured in plastic spoons. We stick the pin in after it is poured. When dry, we take it out of the spoon and the kids paint and add the dots. Moms loved it last year!

14. Miller59

Miller59 Companion

Apr 21, 2010

A teacher of Tots I know has done this in the past --

Let the children color or watercolor on pieces of mat board. Cover it with contact paper. Cut into geometric shapes and put a magnet on the back. Makes a refrigerator magnet. It's improtant to take the mat board away before it's TOO colored. Give them more paper if they want to color more.

A llot of frame shops will give you scraps of mat board.

15. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Apr 25, 2010

I am also having my class make "all About Mom" books. One page will be a portrait of their mom that they draw, one page will be Mom's Favorites, one page is Mom is special because . . . ., one page will be My favorite thing to do with mom is . .

16. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Apr 25, 2010

We planted marigolds in recycled and painted pots. The mom's usually receive a plant and recycle theme item......but it wears many different costumes. I use this as a bridge item between the discovery of spring/earth day and the garden theme. It is very cute and the seeds are sprouting already!!! We made cards and used glitter glue on those---again very cute!!! I will have them work on some sort of tounge depresser flower marker next week.

17. Kase

Kase Companion

Apr 29, 2010

I finally decided on a cute little idea for my tods. We went with making the coffee filter flowers but we're also going to trace their hands and one foot. They will then paint it with daisy flowers to make a really neat design and we'll cut it out and put it on a clothespin with a magnet strip on the back so it will look like a butterfly magnet. I think they will come out really cute.

18. EDUK8_ME

EDUK8_ME Cohort

Apr 29, 2010

I like this idea. How much plaster do you put on the spoon and how long does it take to dry?

19. K3 teacher

K3 teacher Companion

Apr 29, 2010

1. They take about 24 hours to dry and then the kids can paint them.

2. We fill the spoon and then level it off with a plastic knife.

3. If you let the kids push the pin into the plaster be sure that it is not in too far - or it won't open when it is dry. We had to take some pins off last year and then hot glue a new one on.

4. I had the kids use a sanding sponge and sand the edges after we took it out of the spoon.

5. Last tip - make sure the spoon sits level when drying. We had to try a few spoons as test runs before we found the ones we wanted to use with the kids.

Hope all of this helps! I see last year's moms wearing them this year so they were a hit. Many people asked us if we were going to do it again this year. Good Luck!
    I realized after I read over this that none of the tips are in order - sorry - just how my mind is working tonight!

20. skerns

skerns Companion

May 4, 2010

mother's day

We just started painting t-shirts with a hand print butterfly. Colors blue and lavender. The idea is on Michaels may brochure. I got the t-shirts for $2.50 each and the paint from Wal-mart. They have turned out awesome.

21. skerns

skerns Companion

May 4, 2010

Oh and the body of butterfly is their thumb prints. We use fabric paint and wrote MOM in fancy letters to complete.